Roxas S. Embers Mark Vi Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxas s Embers

Member DIN
S137
UPDATE: first problem fixed. Pictures of progress on post #16

I think I did something wrong in the sizing of the helmet... like, my head fits through the bottom but then it seems a tad bit big... IDK, I've never made a helmet before.

15659178.jpg
57152868.jpg
19117928.jpg

I also have to redo the left forarm... again! this time it's because It's too small... Sadface...

I'm also wondering if it is bad to use superglue instead of hot glue. because I burned myself so many freaking times that I decided to use superglue... I hope I didn't ruin that... this is the second helmet... the first one... WAY too small... >.>

This time I did the whole sizing thing with the reference pic and now something might have gone wrong.

I've used superglue, works fine. The helmet looks a little small. I've done 2 helmets and they are both small, so...just keep at it and you'll find the right size.

Hopefully this pic will help you get an idea as to how your helmet should fit:

helmet_head_size.png

This image was taken straight out of the Halo Encyclopedia.:pAnd judging by your pictures, it looks like the helmet size might be just fine for you, but your pictures are kind of hard to see.

Well, if you think your helmet fits big helmet now. Just wait until you have a full suit on.

Keep working on the suit girl!

-Pony

Two quick things:

1. Superglue is your friend. I built my entire suit using superglue, and while you'll stick your fingers together a fair amount, it's better than burning them.

2. Regarding the helmet: Basically, you need to worry only about the size of your head, not the opening of the helmet. In fact, if the helmet is sized correctly, your head will almost certainly not fit properly through the bottom. I had to trim the opening of mine. Feel free to check out my progress thread in my signature for a bit of guidance on that. I went off of Condor's suggestion on the trimming, and it worked out perfectly. I can't remember if the pictures for where to trim are in my thread or his, so you might have to look around a bit.

Here you go:

index.php

One last thing: Using the "reference picture method"... in all honesty... is a bad idea. It's a really inaccurate method. I know so many people try to use it, and nobody can blame you for using it, but it's just downright inefficient and can easily lead to so many mistakes. In the next month or so, I'll be making my own sizing tutorial with Kennanator for both the Mark VI and ODST armor. Hopefully it will make things like this easier. It'll be very much along the lines of where Abrant3 left off.

I feel like the helmet size is a tad bit..............nah, just kidding. The sizing looks okay. You want a little bit of extra room inside, leaving room for some padding so that you don't have the "bobble head" effect. The build looks good so far. Keep it up.

Thanks for your awesome help guys. I am actually starting to get the hang of it. of course it's still frustrating but after three tubes of superglue exploding on me, I found a new best friend in this small hot glue gun that I got for 50 cents at a local thrift store. It makes it easy to get in there and get it glued without getting burnt. oh... right, updates on my armor! Woo-hoo!!!

med_gallery_19758_2080_220900.jpg
med_gallery_19758_2080_227948.jpg

med_gallery_19758_2080_717615.jpg

I will be making a new shin because I forgot to make sure that it was hi def.

med_gallery_19758_2080_423662.jpg
med_gallery_19758_2080_113419.jpg

This is what I am currently working on.

med_gallery_19758_2080_522555.jpg
med_gallery_19758_2080_57205.jpg

I was about to fiberglass my helmet a few days after the resin dried but then it started to snow again. there is still snow and wind...

Honestly, I'd go back to superglue. I've never tried hot glue, but it doesn't actually solidify when it dries. I don't know your plans for sanding, but I can't think hot glue is all that sandable.

As as far as fiberglassing, well, I don't see the point. Your pieces will get plenty hard with a few layers of resin. Again, I don't know your plans on sanding, but fiberglass strands can't be that fun if you sand down into them.

On a lighter note, if you're looking for HD shins, my new version will be out tomorrow! Link is in my sig. ;)

I will still go back to super glue but my problem is that the good stuff actually costs like $5 and it isn't all that big. also I've had issues of superglue on my fingers and it sucks going to work with it on there. IDK, I'm gonna give hot glue a try because so far it has been holding up really well and it sets up really fast.

BTW, thanks for the heads up about the shins, depending on when I'm ready to make them I'll keep an eye out for yours. I personally like that design out of all the others that I have seen thus far.

Edit: Okay late last night I finished pepping the Cod piece.

med_gallery_19758_2080_867612.jpg

med_gallery_19758_2080_785753.jpg

Awesome work with the pepping. That belt looks like the one I slightly modified and unfolded. :p

guys, okay, so far I've been scaling everything right. Then I get to crackhead09's models like the HD thighs and shins and for some reason things aren't scaling right at all. I've been trying to find a tutorial for his stuff and there isn't any that I can find. any one know how to help me?

The helmet looks right. I mean, you gotta keep in mind that theres going to be fiberglass and padding in there, and that takes away quite a bit from the inside diameter of it. Not to mention if you add electronic, like a fan (or two) and maybe speakers and such, thats that much more room taken away. Mine, I can barely get my head through the opening, but once its on, I look (as stated before) Like a literal walking bobblehead. So much so, that I even put those googly eyes on the visor in sharpie (the paper visor) Another thing, size is kinda really up to the builder. I printed off the torso and built it, and its rather big, but I think I like it better than I would if it was scaled correctly, and plan to just adjust it to be more comfortable and use it. (plus itll save me from having to re-build it) I just measure where the pieces go on me, and scale it that way, the only time it didn't work for me was the shoulder, because for some reason I was thinking it was supposed to go past the top of my shoulder. Don't know what I was thinking.

Edit: Forgot to add, keep up the good work. Your pieces look so much straighter and more symmetrical than mine, its not even funny.

If your having trouble scaling HD pieces I would drop that "scale formula" stuff and go with good old fashioned measuring tape. It works wonders and minimizes errors, It is what I used and all my pieces pretty much fit the first time. Also if you want some glue that will be the best bang for your buck try Tacky Glue. Walmart should have the stuff. I got the big bottle, around $3-4. It will be enough to make all your armor plus a weapon and have some to spare.

Well, I have to say, I think I like this way of scaling better. No more guess work now. *jumps for joy* I have to say though, My overall rating on glues... Right now I'm sticking with hot glue. I am soooooo tired of my fingers being either glued together or to the cardstock. it's gotta be the type of glue gun you use because my first one always burned me and I've not gotten burned yet with this one. also, hot glue sets up faster than superglue and for me it has been holding up better as well. interesting.

Now, Onto my update!!! yay!!

med_gallery_19758_2080_938108.jpg
med_gallery_19758_2080_79100.jpg

That Shin piece looks good!

Oh, I read the glue discussion in the previous posts above me, and I would like to suggest water based School glue. You can spread it thin on the tabs without worrying about it curing too fast. And it bonds the tab to the piece really well, because it sinks into the paper and reinforces it. ;)

Looks awsome :D And I dont know if youre still worried, but I think people stress a little too much about their helmet's size. As long as you know that it fits your head nicely and there's room for padding, then it will be fine :)

Nice job so far. :) With the forearms when it comes to girls, you have to measure it for the length of your arm not width. Pep the whole thing as you normally would and after that, you cut a wedge shaped chunk out of the inside and re- glue it to the right width. Bond will hide the seem. And I to prefer the hot glue, It drys faster and makes less mess. Scaling a suit for a girl out of pieces sized for bulky guys is always a challenge. ;) Keep it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back