Sangheili ranger build (Satchmo III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE #2 SUMMARY...

01) Assembled base torso foam (or the majority thereof)

UPDATE #2 DETAIL...

I constructed my first piece using foam mats yesterday. My foam technique probably could have benefited by starting with a smaller model (like a bicep or thigh) but I jumped in with the torso. I did this so I'd have it as a base for scaling the other pieces.

3A.jpg

You can't tell from the photos but I really like the torso's scaling. The base construction isn't completely finished but I wanted to share the progress I made this past weekend. Overall I'm pleased with how things went together. I learned quite a bit about how to use the foam mats so next time I put something together is should go all the more smoothly. It was somewhat difficult deciding which pieces of the pepakura model to omit.

Once the base foam is complete I will be using spray foam to fill in some crevasses and perhaps a wood-burner to etch in some detail. After that I'll seal with plasti-dip before paint.

I have concluded that the helmet previously assembled (see POST #35) is too small so will have to be rebuilt. I may tweak the model a bit before reassembling.

It's a shame the warm weather season is at a close but I am hopeful I will progress with, at least, the foam-work on this build over the coming months. I hope everyone's projects are going well...either way, keep plugging away four-oh-five!

UPDATE #2 POST RESPONSES...

Very Clean pep work, Satchmo!

Thanks, ACDCrockr209! It was good practice (since it's too small).

I've had this idea in mind for quite a long time, so its great to see it in action. So, with it's current setup, how far can you walk before you'r legs give out? I would say adding anouther pivot point just below the ankle, going up to the back of the thigh would relieve the stress on you'r knee, I just dont quite know if the current rig would be able to take that amount of stress. As for the bungi cords, are they getting very much wear where they join up to the ankle? I could immagine that they could snap if that piece on the ankle wears on them.

Here with my 2 cents (yes i'm that broke)-
-Gryphon

Thanks for your input, GunGryphon. Honestly I haven't attempted a lengthy run with the setup. I do believe it will take a few runs to get acclimated to using the stilts and probably a few more to build up the required muscle. I'm not overly concerned about the wear to the bungie cords where the come into contact with the wood. I'll keep an eye on it though.

THEE MOST exciting thread dive seen all year. ive seen some amazing builds...but this matches my exact build hopes. i will be watching this thread soo closely....maybe even too closely.

Thanks, Roceifin. Don't strain your eyes (you know, with the close-watching and all).

man this is good, what are you planning to do for the visor that is a really wierd shape for a visor

Thanks, tahu653. I'm not entirely set on the visor just yet...you'll have to stay tuned.

Nice job on the torso lokks great please keep this thread going I would love to see this build finished

UPDATE #3 SUMMARY...

01) Continued detailing torso foam
02) Sealed torso foam

UPDATE #3 DETAIL...

Today I was able to finish adding the remaining foam pieces to the torso. Some pieces were free-handed to fit with the pepakura model (since it was intended for paper which is thinner than the foam).

ranger41.jpg

With the torso foam assembled I moved to fix some of the seams between the foam sheets. Many of the seams I kept because I like them but some needed to be filled to smooth out parts of the model. I decided to try out expanding insulation spray foam. After spraying the foam in the seams I wished to fill and waiting a couple of hours I went back with a razor blade and cut back the excess spray foam. The spray foam works decently...it was messy to handle and somewhat porous when trimmed back but I think it will suffice.

ranger42.jpg

Next I used a wood-burning tool (similar to a soldering iron) to burn in a few details. I managed to accidentally drop the tool in the middle of my living room and singed a few carpet fibers. Smooth-move, ex-lax.

ranger43.jpg

Finally I sealed the model with plasti-dip. I put about two coats on but some of the brightly colored foam can still be faintly seen through the black. I haven't used plasti-dip before, does anyone know if I need to re-coat until the color cannot be seen? Or will paint be able to adhere well even though the color permeates?

I have quite a few colored foam mats left but I think I'll switch to the gray ones. I don't think I'll have to seal/paint the interior of the torso but I'm not too keen on the primary colors (plus green) being there or having them potentially visible with wear on the exterior.

ranger44.jpg

That will close this installment. I am digging the build so far and am looking forward to working up the remaining models. I think I will continue the foam construction starting with the biceps and working down.

Thanks for checking out the progress. Just keep building, just keep building...the mantra of Dori from Finding Nemo if she was a member of the 405th (don't chide yourself, you know you saw and liked that movie). Keep on, four-oh-five!

UPDATE #3 POST RESPONSES...

Nice work, haven't viewed the thread in a while, but the Helmet & Torso, look great. Keep building...lol

Tony

Thanks, Tony. I'd like to be able to post updates more frequently. I suppose slow progress is better than no progress. I'm looking forward to your next Elite bust update!

Very nicely done, im totally going to watch this build closly

Thanks, Warpath5150.

Sick! I'm excited to watch this build!

Thanks, ONE END.

The torso looks great. Fantastic work as always.

Thanks, Starvinartist80.

Nice job on the torso lokks great please keep this thread going I would love to see this build finished

Thanks, Hyperballistik. You and me both, you and me both.

oh my god....im running in circles with excitement to see this be worked on. i like elites far more than spartans and ive alwase wanted to do a ranger finally someone is doing one!

Wow. Amazing workmanship. No one can believe you did the torso entirely out of foam. And I cannot believe how foam is picking up steam.

UPDATE #4 PROGRESS SUMMARY...

01) Assembled rough bicep #1 foam
02) Assembled rough forearm #1 foam

UPDATE #4 PROGRESS DETAIL...

I've been putting in some decent in-week work the last few evenings. The first bicep and forearm pieces are in rough-form right now. I'll be detailing them a bit with thinner foam and the wood-burning tool and adding some foam where needed to snug up how they fit.

ranger51.jpg

ranger52.jpg

The arm pieces stacked up against the torso just for kicks...

ranger53.jpg

I think I've found a good pace in cutting pieces one night and assembling them the next night. I should have the second bicep and forearm done sometime this weekend. I think I will tweak the helmet model this weekend and start reevaluating the stilts before moving to building the foot and thigh armor.

UPDATE #4 POST RESPONSES...

Very great! you used pep, right? or is this a scratch build?

I'm using some pretty rocking models.

oh my god....im running in circles with excitement to see this be worked on. i like elites far more than spartans and ive alwase wanted to do a ranger finally someone is doing one!

Thanks, man. Around the time I joined the 405th I saw a couple of threads where people talked about starting a Ranger build. With my level of noob-ness at the time I didn't see those builds as likely. After researching much of the site, working on other builds, and tooling around with modeling a general plan for how to go about building a Ranger started to form.

This is full of sooooo much win!

Thanks, Shade88.

Sweet God almighty, this is some really awesome work. Love the foam so far.:D

Thanks...if I ever finish that Spartan that goes by Thorn better watch out for some Covenant opposition!

Wow. Amazing workmanship. No one can believe you did the torso entirely out of foam. And I cannot believe how foam is picking up steam.

Thanks, CoolC. Fiberglass work is out of frame for this time of year. It's fun learning a new medium.

Dear Satchmo,

Please build faster, like finish it all within a day; because I am dying to see the end results of this amazing build. If you do not finish within a day, I will hunt you down and kill you, bring you back you life, then make you still finish your project.

Love,
Big fan of your work

(obviously kidding about the killing part... But seriously, AMAZING build so far man!! I'm REALLY excited to see the end results, VERY inspirational! Definably inspiring me to build my elite..... one day... when I has the money to fund my big project)

do you plan to do a under suit? with how the elites have that hexagon pattern and the muscle lines? if so then this WILL be in the elite build section, its already worthy.

Thanks...if I ever finish that Spartan that goes by Thorn better watch out for some Covenant opposition!

Bring it on...I'm already used to looking up to you for you're amazing work, why not look up to ...what was it, 7 feet tall.... Covenant. :D

Welcome to the meat-grinder ;)

UPDATE #5 PROGRESS SUMMARY...

01) Assembled rough bicep #2 foam
02) Assembled rough forearm #2 foam
03) Assembled rough belt foam
04) Assembled rough thigh #1 foam
05) Assembled hand-plate #1 pepakura

UPDATE #5 PROGRESS DETAIL...

I was able to put in a good amount of time this weekend roughing up the majority of the foam armor pieces (and a touch of good ole pepakura).

ranger61.jpg

ranger62.jpg

Now that I have a good base of work on the books I need to start pinning down the things left to do. Below I've listed out the main items yet to complete.

REMAINING FOAM-WORK...
> Thigh #2 foam
> Foot-guard #1 foam
> Foot-guard #2 foam
> Foam detailing
> Foam finishing and painting

REMAINING PAPER-WORK...
> Hand-plate #2 pepakura
> Helmet pepakura
> Pepakura finishing and painting

REMAINING FUNCTION-WORK...
> Neck-seal
> Under-suit
> Mounting/strapping
> Hock-ankle rework
> Face-shield construction
> Hand construction

Even though I feel I've made good progress the last couple of weeks, I find the road yet to be traveled is quite long. I think the sharp curves (in that road) will be the under-suit and the face-shield. I have some ideas for the under-suit but I'll need to flesh them out a bit. I also need to find a suitable work-space for the resin/bondo work on the hand-plates and helmet since the great outdoors is out of the picture due to low temperatures. Gotta love a challenge.

Thanks everyone for your interest and support. I hope I can maintain a respectable pace and produce a quality product. Stay tight, Nobles!

UPDATE #5 POST RESPONSES...

Dear Satchmo,

Please build faster, like finish it all within a day; because I am dying to see the end results of this amazing build. If you do not finish within a day, I will hunt you down and kill you, bring you back you life, then make you still finish your project.

Love,
Big fan of your work

(obviously kidding about the killing part... But seriously, AMAZING build so far man!! I'm REALLY excited to see the end results, VERY inspirational! Definably inspiring me to build my elite..... one day... when I has the money to fund my big project)

Thanks so much for the kind words, Hyo! I can't commit to finishing in a day but I will commit to working hard to finish (I hope that can satisfy you enough to avoid resorting to the dark-art of zombification). I really appreciate the kudos, especially coming from someone with your caliber of skill. Thanks again!

do you plan to do a under suit? with how the elites have that hexagon pattern and the muscle lines? if so then this WILL be in the elite build section, its already worthy.

I feel the hexagons are such a subtle detail that I will be omitting them. The muscular composition though I think is essential. The under-suit plan is still a work-in-progress.

Still looking great^^ keep it up!

Will do.

Bring it on...I'm already used to looking up to you for you're amazing work, why not look up to ...what was it, 7 feet tall.... Covenant. :D

Welcome to the meat-grinder ;)

You're too kind, thorn696. Don't worry, it'll be brought!

Truly incredible Satchmo, I can only hope to gaze upon this suit in person one day once it's finished.

Thanks, Pipinacan. No worries, I'll just hop in my Scarab and come visit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back