Scaling Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so my first attempt at a helmet, I used robogenesis' MK VI and I didn't size it at all and it turned out HUGE! so the next time i sized it to 251 mm in height. Well this turned out to be a little big too. so now i decided to do HD pieces, so next is flyingsquirrel's HD helm. Can someone PLEASE help me size it so i don't mess up and waste 6 hours again? I'm 66 inches tall. I used the method of comparing my body size to a picture of master chief for my last helmet, and it still was a little big. I'm looking for a nice snug fit. Ill be wearing it to dragon*con 2010, so maybe a little bit to grow, but not a ton, since I'm not growing much anymore. any help would be MUCH appreciated!

This is the method I use when I scale my armor:

For the helmet, you will want to measure from the bottom of your chin to the highest part of your head. Try to use a whole inch like 8 or 9 inches. Don't use 8.5 inches. Just try to round up to the nearest inch. From there, you may want to add an extra inch to leave room for padding and all the other junk you will be needing to put into your helmet, such as the fiberglass.

Now that you have the measurement for your head, convert that to mm. This number is your HEIGHT since you measured the HEIGHT of your head. Load up pepakura and open your helmet then change the scale size and put your number in the box for height. Now you should have a properly sized helmet.

That is just the method that I use and ever since then, I have NEVER had issues with sizing. I was having MAJOR issues when I had pepakura v2 and was using cm. I had to make my hayabusa helmet 3 times because I suck at math! lol

Yep, the method that HaloGodess described is also what I use to scale my helemts. Had I stuck with just doing that, both my helmets would have been a good fit. I took into account some eyeballing and made the mistake thinking that they were going to be waaay to big, so I tweaked them to be smaller and so they are a little tight. Nothing too bad though. I also just measure in straight centimeters because the ruler I have has both.

Hope this helped!

-Apoc

I use the same method. It's all basically the same for the boots, helmet, forearms, shins and thighs, im not sure about the chest piece since i have not done that part yet. lol xP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back