Scratch built JUN helmet 98% FINISHED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darth wombo

Jr Member
alright so about a month ago i started to work on juns helmet. i built it by eye (scratch built) with cardboard, hotglue, fiberglass, and modeling clay.i have not built the top attatchment yet but i will be doing that soon. I dont have any visors yet but i plan on ordering some tomorrow and will update the thread when i have the visor installed. so here are some pictures of the process.

This is the picture i mostly went off of:

ReachConcept_JunHelmet-1.jpg

Cardboard:

DSC_0344-1.jpg

after fiberglassing i gave it a good sanding and then added clay to smooth it out:

DSC_0418-2.jpg

after it was fairily smoothed, i added a layer of paint and several layers of clear coat to smooth out tiny imperfections. (NOT THAT ITS PERFECT) unfortuatly i forgot to take a picture so il move on to what happened next.

I got this:

DSC_0416-1.jpg

so i started to mold my first helmet:

DSC_0466.jpg

DSC_0470.jpg

i made a two part fiberglass mother mold:

DSC_0481.jpg

after demolding the original:

DSC_0482.jpg

and here is a casting next to the original:

DSC_0477.jpg

after trimming and sanding:

DSC_0459-1.jpg

and after painting:

DSC_0480.jpg

DSC_0471.jpg

DSC_0495.jpg

DSC_0486.jpg

its not done yet but stay tuned.
i am going to be selling a very limitted run in the classifieds soon but if you just cant wait to get your hands on a raw cast of this helmet :p just shoot me a PM. like i said it will be a very limited run due to the fact that im almost out of smooth-cast and oly have enough to cast out one of two more helmets which is why i need to sell one so i can buy more.
I hope you enjoyed this thread so far. more progress to come soon so stay tuned!! :)

Holy shiz! I think I just crapped my pants! That my friend is the best Cardboard helmet I have seen!

You have major talent to scratch build that from cardbord. Great job, my friend. Amazing. Do you plan on finishing the whole suit?

All that detail... just in CARDBOARD... pardon me as I need to step out for a moment. My mind is about to be blown as comprehension of your skills sink in, and I don't want to risk squishy brainy bits spattering such a pretty helmet.

To echo what everyone else has said, WOW, that is awesome! Pepakura is great and all, but I have a thing for really well done scratch builds :) After seeing this helmet (and the work of a few others) I am starting to see how using cardboard as a base can both save time and produce some spectacular results! Too bad you didn't get some progress pics with the clay over it, as well, I would have loved to see that, too. Excellent work!

I'm curious, though, is there a reason you went with Dragon Skin over Rebound? When you say "fiberglassing" do you mean a coat of fiberglass resin on the outside, or did you actually use fiberglass mat or cloth, and did you do it on the inside, the outside, or both? Anyway, again, great job!

To echo what everyone else has said, WOW, that is awesome! Pepakura is great and all, but I have a thing for really well done scratch builds :) After seeing this helmet (and the work of a few others) I am starting to see how using cardboard as a base can both save time and produce some spectacular results! Too bad you didn't get some progress pics with the clay over it, as well, I would have loved to see that, too. Excellent work!

I'm curious, though, is there a reason you went with Dragon Skin over Rebound? When you say "fiberglassing" do you mean a coat of fiberglass resin on the outside, or did you actually use fiberglass mat or cloth, and did you do it on the inside, the outside, or both? Anyway, again, great job!

i went with dragon skin because i have been seeing alot about it on the forums and at the time it just seemed better but i have also used rebound and i love it too, i just wanted to try something different and as i said this was my first helmet that i ever molded. as far as fiberglass, i just did a layer of resin on the inside and a layer on the outside(no mat or cloth). oh and thanks by the way :)

Oh my... Wow... That is the best Jun helmet ever. (And the first if I remember correctly. lol.)

Dude that helmet rocks, your skills with cardboard are very impressive, so much so that you have inspired me to try doing some thing with it. Again great work!!

the first images i saw brings the idea in mind... "holy crap... what kind of helmet is that"...
but the next, next, next and the next show that this helmet is ******* awesome. i really like it.
you should sell the prob.

whats the price for the needed materials (dragon skin only)

thanks every one. :)

the Dragon skin was $175 but with shipping and the silicone thickener (thi-vex 2) it ended up being about $210

Just a quick update:
i ordered a few visors and i started makeing the top attatchment.
pics soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back