Sean Anwalt's Halo 4/5 Master Chief build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• 15596266852831902805532071537462.jpg
    15596266852831902805532071537462.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 249
On one hand I'm looking at these like "that looks great!" and getting all excited for when I can go out and wear mine, on the other hand I see your photos with kids and stuff, and I have 0 experience representing or interacting with people as a cosplayer so that makes me nervous lol.

On one hand I'm looking at these like "that looks great!" and getting all excited for when I can go out and wear mine, on the other hand I see your photos with kids and stuff, and I have 0 experience representing or interacting with people as a cosplayer so that makes me nervous lol.

I also am new to this whole nerd thing. Children especially scare me. They come up and want to hold my hand while their parents take a picture. Sheesh. One little girl asked who I was and her brother told her I was the master chief who saved the galaxy from aliens, and the little girl gave me a big hug. Super uncomfortable.

But all in all it's a lot of fun. Get yourself a handler and have them help keep people from touching you, and you're golden. Even my brother who's a BAMF wanted to borrow my reach suit. So Just have fun, you know.

Nice that thing looks great!! I need to build one of these next

I think it looks fine, out in the details of course

Thanks guys. I think it looks too flat and cartoonish. Maybe I'll try to add details before the character parade this morning...

I also am new to this whole nerd thing. Children especially scare me. They come up and want to hold my hand while their parents take a picture. Sheesh. One little girl asked who I was and her brother told her I was the master chief who saved the galaxy from aliens, and the little girl gave me a big hug. Super uncomfortable.
Haha, yeah that sounds like a situation that's adorable to watch but uncomfortable to be in. It is what it is I guess, cause I also don't want to be the guy that denies some kid meeting their hero or something (though I imagine most of the Halo - kids are adults by now). But yeah, just have fun :)

Thanks guys. I think it looks too flat and cartoonish. Maybe I'll try to add details before the character parade this morning...
1) Yours is def better than mine, I struggle a lot with both medium and fine detail. 2) But I'd have to agree that it looks flat, sorry. I would loove to see how you bring it up to a more photorealistic appearance. I'm currently cheating with metallic paint.

Flat yes..........easily fixed though, just hit the whole thing w/ a clear coat satin finish. It will give it a bit, just a bit, of metalic shine. If you use high gloss, you'll just sparkle in the light......MC Mirror ball syndrome. Cartoonish........no it looks great.

As for children, its fine to be uncomfortable......but no one can see that....you're wearing a helmet. I keep catching myself smiling like an idiot when taking a picture w/ someone....THEY CAN'T SEE MY FACE!!!!! So if you can keep in mind that they are probably more nervous about approaching you, you'll be fine. Having a handler is also a great thing. It's good to have someone there to watch your 6.

...just hit the whole thing w/ a clear coat satin finish...
I picked up some polyeurothane satin wood-finish clear coat the other day for another project (diy chopsticks lol), any chance that'll work on my EVA foam as well? My paint is currently unprotected (sorry Sean, I hijacked your thread for a moment, better a thread than a banshee though).

Not sure about a wood finisher on foam......I would test a piece of scrap foam first.......a wood finish is designed to penetrate into the wood. It may get absorbed by the foam so that nothing get that shiny satin look.....or it eats the foam. Either way, I wouldn't put it on a full built suit.

Flat yes..........easily fixed though, just hit the whole thing w/ a clear coat satin finish. It will give it a bit, just a bit, of metalic shine. If you use high gloss, you'll just sparkle in the light......MC Mirror ball syndrome. Cartoonish........no it looks great.

As for children, its fine to be uncomfortable......but no one can see that....you're wearing a helmet. I keep catching myself smiling like an idiot when taking a picture w/ someone....THEY CAN'T SEE MY FACE!!!!! So if you can keep in mind that they are probably more nervous about approaching you, you'll be fine. Having a handler is also a great thing. It's good to have someone there to watch your 6.
Psst hey think he is talking about the shape being too flat old man, or paint, know what, ignore this, nothing to read here. Have a good day

Last edited:
Aaaand done!

If I can get Dirtdives and zachturner009 to stop bickering for a minute, I'd like to display my finished H4/H5 Master Chief. It was tested on memorial day to fix the bugs, it was shaken down at Fancon to make sure the fixes worked, and debuted in Las Vegas for the 2019 licensing event with Microsoft. Got a ton of press, huge amount of pictures posing with people, and innumerable other photographs people just took of me. Was even on a channel 3 news spot with all the other mascots, but Clifford the big red dog kept pushing me out of the way.

So without further adieu or dramatic pauses....

... here are some pictures!
20190605_114708.jpg 20190604_150039.jpg 20190605_103900.jpg 20190604_111229.jpg

20190605_134152.jpg 20190604_110548.jpg 20190605_151030.jpg 20190604_123955.jpg

20190605_111701.jpg 20190604_140935.jpg 20190605_155848.jpg 20190604_113130.jpg

20190604_144706.jpg 20190605_113847.jpg 20190604_144801.jpg

Thanks to everyone on here for the tremendous support, encouragement, and motivation to get this thing done. I had an amazing time there. But alas, I must go:
20190605_095030.jpg

But before I do I *MUST* say a special thanks to this guy: James.
20190606_002336.jpg

None of you guys know him but his help financially, physically, and as my handler for the event is unparalleled, and he is so much more deserving than a silly shout out on an internet post. He went so much above and beyond to help this project happen, even with an exam due in his college class. I wish there was a 405th medal I could give him.

And that wraps up my Master Chief build. I finally get to put something in the completed costume thread! And my Reach suit isn't far behind, this will be good!

Well I have to say the build looks GREAT!!!!! As far as the medal goes for James........I think you'll have to make him one.......and if you want me to stop bickering.....fine.........be that way.........no more fun from the Dirtguy in your threads.......business only........
giphy-downsized.gif

Great job man, this looks absolutely fantastic. Great clean build and glad that you are happy with theither durability. Great pics and such a fun time! I look forward to adding my h3 chief to the completed thread with you before to long as well.

I started my Reach suit almost a year ago and I'm close to being finished with it. You should try to have yours done before mine!
Yeah unfortunately I'm out of town for 2 weeks straight right now so it's on stand still. I do have pretty much have the whole suit base coat green but got to spend the countless hours on the detail painting. At least 1 forearm is completely finished! Lol Then I have to wire the lights and fans in. Getting there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back