Sean Anwalt's Mk V build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... trying to think how to explain this...

View attachment 256366
The part threat says "side" goes on the side, the part that says "front", obviously, goes in the front.

Normally I'd just be like 'well fold it at the little attachy point, silly', but it isn't that simple, because there's another piece,

View attachment 256367
There ^

That fits in that little gap.

I don't want to sound unintelligent, but it is proving difficult for me to get the fold as crisp as I want.

There's a bunch of deep scoring on the back that you get to do on those pieces if you want a solid piece or break it into two pieces and bevel to get a sharp transition. I personally cut an over exaggerated channel in the back to get the required bend. At this point I can't really get photos of the inside either without removing cable runs unfortunately but this video by Punished Props will be a good explanation of the process of removing material from the back to get the shape that you need.

GUYS!

I have recently purchased more foam. Yay! BUT! IT IS TEXTURED! :eek:

The smooth side looks like this
20180621_180936.jpg

Whereas the rough side is like this:
20180621_180941.jpg

Am I going to be ok? Is there a way to smooth that out?

(Praises heaven)
An excuse to buy a belt sander!
Glad it'll be an easy fix.

Another update:
20180621_183850.jpg

I am attaching the first two "major pieces" of the chest. I'm pretty excited for it.
20180621_201334.jpg

No idea why the second one is upside down. (Guess those in the Australian regiment can see it nicely, though! :lol:)
I taped the two pieces together, layed them upside down and lifted the one edge with a scrap piece of foam, then glued slowly along the whole edge with hot glue, since contact cement wouldn't work. (My bevels were off...)

The blue pieces next to them are my second attempt at the side bezels on the chest. Much happier with how these turned out.

Lemme know what you think!

UPDATE:

I have heat sealed that blue foam, and the textures went away! That was exciting.

I got the shoulder pieces glued together, working on the top of the chest and getting details cut out for the chest center.
20180622_074017.jpg

No more texture! Yay!

20180622_074623.jpg

Trying to keep sharp lines and straight cuts. Had to do this piece by hand, no ruler or straight edge. I'll be cutting out the two light holes when I get off work.
20180622_072706.jpg

For the bottom of the chest I have cut a piece of foam in half length wise. I will put each half along the back edge where the detail goes, and that will push the detail piece itself out half its width. Hindsight says I should have just used detail foam for this part, but remember what I said in an earlier post: glutton for punishment.

Anyway, here are all the pieces I have tampered with so far:
20180622_074747.jpg

I need to give the shoulders more detail, and in my reference photo I noticed something that made me second guess the neck line:
Screenshot_20180622-070736_Google.jpg

It is three- dimensional, not flat. It goes right into the collar and is at an angle...

I'll have to work on that somehow.

I like this picture because it shows the seam where the chest comes apart. I will install some posts and clips there when the time comes, and that's how my chest piece will split open.

Give me thoughts and criticisms or give me death! (Preferably not death...)

"Give me thoughts and criticisms or give me death!"

Great response, internet... lol

Didn't get an update yesterday morning; had training for work and other tedious chores to take care of. But I was able to get some work done, and I'm pretty ok with how things turned out.

20180623_074728.jpg

The backpack has a little gap in it that I don't like. I wasn't able to find it on the pictures I looked at, and I personally kinda think it's ugly. So I recreated the whole pattern and got that one out instead.
20180623_075132.jpg

I like how this turned out.

I was also able to get a lot glued together, and I'm pretty happy with the results. I am aiming to make this perfect, but have a long way to go.

20180623_221024.jpg

I turned my thoughts to the helmet, as well, and wanted to hear what you guys think. Is this one salvageable with all that roughed up small detail? What's the best way to smooth it out?
20180623_221045.jpg

I like this helmet, and would like to not have to rebuild it if I don't have to. But i want to make it perfect.
20180623_221051.jpg

20180623_221057.jpg

The backpack has a little gap in it that I don't like.

Hating on the gap?
DSC_1206.JPG

Admittedly it's makes very little sense for being there but I'm a fan of that trench.

For the helmet it's probably wearable as is but if the tiny details being smudged slightly is a make or break point for you gently sand down the paint with 220 grit to get a clean surface back and you can then use craft foam and CA glue to hide your mistakes. I don't think it looks bad now, honestly I think it's just the metallic paint exaggerating the situation.

Well, the helmet is pretty bad. I'll give it a go with 220 or so. Got a long way to go anda lot of work to do with it, though.

I myself don't like the trench. No articulable reason for it, i just don't. So i removed it from mine.

UPDATE TIME

Nothing major is done yet, just a lot of little things.

I kept the paper stencils on the foam for cutting out the little details in the back. Thought it might help a little bit, and I'm not sure that it did, but for better or worse, I'm keeping it:
20180628_213754.jpg

This is the end result:
20180628_214527.jpg

Got everything major tapped together to check for fit and scaling (super paranoid about that; it's printed slightly too large) and, if you ignore the tape- induced droop, it looks pretty good.
20180628_220446.jpg

Stupid tape droop. I am looking forward to seeing it once it has more structural strength.

I figure once the arm gasket is in I can start playing with filling in the gaps and doing the finer details. I also need to touch up my seams.
20180629_074832.jpg

This is how a lot of my seams have gone. Not amazing, but pretty good. Nothing some filler can't fix. I hope.

You can see in that picture how I still need to attach the inset details in the backpack side, and I decided to make the back vents out of detail foam. There are a couple pieces like that all over.

BroodierGoose1

Thanks for the compliment! I will be weathering the helmet, but I want to make it smooth, first.

Tell me what you think!

Sean Anwalt, doing a great job man......the seams are pretty good....nothing a little filler and sanding couldn't clean up but overall.....great job. The better the seams on the first go-around, the less you have to fix later on. No one gets it perfect every time all the time.....no one. so don't beat yourself up over it. Just keep building.

Sean Anwalt, doing a great job man......the seams are pretty good....nothing a little filler and sanding couldn't clean up but overall.....great job

Thanks, Dirtdives ! Being the first project I've ever done seriously in foam, besides a practice helmet I did some weeks ago, I'm feeling pretty happy with how things are going. I was aiming for "superamazing perfect", or "flawless", but that's about what I was expecting. Aim for the stars, right? I really appreciate your comment!

I'd say you're looking pretty damn good Sean Anwalt !

Thanks, TurboCharizard ! I'm hoping to get some cleanup done this weekend. We'll see how it goes.

Anyone who is familiar with the Halo storyline, particularly from the books, help me out? I am going to try to turn this suit into Spartan 51, Kurt. Pretty much my favorite spartan in the series. I don't particularly like the helmet they put on him in Halo 5, though, and I like the Reach Mk. V, so I am going to put Kurt in that armor permutation. This is gonna be based on the brief period of time between joining blue team and spinning off into space when his T-pack malfunctions. I am debating what color to go with. I like the idea of white, but gunmetal or steel are also great options. Any opinions?

I know it's not going to be Halo 5 accurate, but I like this armor set better.

If memory servers.....when Kurt is on Onyx and his recruit teams were being ambushed and killed, he ran back to his barracks to retrieve his weapons and PSI suit....and in the closet was his original Spartan suit. Which he describes as having the original oregano/metallic green color. He left it there in order to not stand out among his "New" Spartans despite knowing full well that his Mjolnir armor would have made a huge difference in the fight. So I believe that Kurt never got any upgraded or new color schemed armor. Just the original color that all the Spartans had.

Yeah.... Kinda wish I had written the books. Hahahahahahahahaha just kididng.

I remember that part, actually. The suit in the closet, not the color. I think that is a characteristic of a great leader, getting down to the level of the people you are assigned to lead, not holding yourself above them.

Well, that solves that, then, Oregano green Mk V it is, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back