Sizing Thoughts and Opinions??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueManiac

Hey everyone!

**UPDATE**
I am midway through pepping a chest piece right now and I'm beginning to wonder if this new helmet is too small. The chest actually looks pretty good in this photo so thats why I'm a little skeptical. What do you guys think?
IMG_1442.jpg

Also... How exactly should this helmet be sitting on my head? I haven't added any extra foam [excluding a tiny one inch piece of foam that is pancaked when I put on the now fiberglassed helm!]

If I can avoid it, I would prefer to not scrap the helmet... but ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do!

I've just completed my very first pep model tonight!! :D ...Though I feel as though I have some pretty huge sizing issues

Here is my pep model sitting on the table. Not too shabby for my first real attempt at pepakura though its nothing spectacular by any means

AsqqFwsCIAAnMBj.jpg:large

AsqqBmvCAAMDQbm.jpg:large

I know its hard to tell but does anyone see anything really wrong to point out with these pep models? I want to get a little constructive criticism on them. [I should probably take a few more images in that case... ]

Before starting the build I tried to scale my model according to my head size, though I don't feel like it really worked out. I measured my head at approximately 23cm and added around 5cm to that. As you can see from the photos below, It makes me look a little like a bobble head.

[Sorry for the blur... its really hard to take an iPhone mirror photo with 0% visibility! It gets the point across]
529930_10151793147610727_801670726_24578062_1284830414_n.jpg

579658_10151793151155727_801670726_24578068_1959370163_n.jpg

I've been told I can add a little foam to the top to aid in the guessing game, hopefully sizing the model just a few cm away from my chin.

Does anyone have any cool sizing techniques they could toss my way? I want to write this helmet off as a learning experience. It seems a wee bit too large to salvage.

Thanks!

ok, first, your pep looks serious wicked good!! my only beef is with the file itself! i never liked that file, i use FlyingSquirrels file, i like it, the jowls and head are in strips so when you bondo it is alot easier to perfect! and yeah, you did size it a little too large. personally i make mine about 1-2cm larger than my measurements for fit and foam. if your 23cm, 26-27 should work. personally, for helmets i measure my heads width and add an inch on each side then scale it to that and maybe add a cm just for safety. but currently, your helmet is way too big, dont do the whole armor like that, or you will look like a kid in his dads armor! best of luck on your next model dude!

Your pep work looks very, very clean. Compared to mine, which is a tad messy xD.

As for sizing, you can see how far off it is in mm, and then adjust accordingly under 2d menu/change scale/scale factor.

Since I'm rather new, that's the only method I've found to size properly as of now.

Thanks!

I think I am going to start a new model and scale it down 1cm.

I put a piece of foam that's about 2cm tall and the hole sits 2 cm away from my chin.

How thick would you typically make the padding in a helm?

I remember my first helmet and that pep model was my first too. I notice a slight dip in the bottom part of the brim, right above the visor. I also ran into that problem. I would also agree with Darthoblious on the Flying Squirrel pep file, it's harder to assemble, but pays off big time in the bondo process.

Thickness of padding in a helmet? I guess it's all on personal preference, do you want to be comfortable in it? I personally am going to use motorcycle padding in mine.

Ok, that makes sense. I'm just trying to find a good sizing method, I have no idea how to properly size the helm other than just measuring my head and adding a few cm. [this model I used 5cm, obviously too big!]

personally when i scale, i measure wherever the piece is to go, the add an inch or 2 to accommodate padding.

ex. my head it 7 inches wide, so to ensure proper fit and look, i added 1.5 inches and then converted it. i find that width will ensure proper fit every time! i did that with my second chest, just added 2 inches to my width and when i tried it on, it fit so perfectly, like it was meant to be.

as far as padding, what are you going for? most padding you buy is easily crushable. im using high density foam so that the friction keeps the parts where i want. as for my helmet, its all on comfort, im very comfortable with a thin padding, and a slightly snug fit. just remember not to oversize the helmet too much, the foam is going to crush alot because of the weight and how it sits on your head.

right now just have fun and dont expect to get everything right from the get go, i made 9 pieces and failed miserable, with either size or improper building or hardening. but now all my builds are perfect to near perfect! you will get there it just takes dedication!

I gotcha. What is that foam called? Can it just be hot glued into place?
I suppose haha, I have only been doing this for a few weeks now!!

I agree with Darth. Although the flying squirrel model is quite a bit more complicated, it looks 10x better. Your pep looks fantastic though. One thing I've found that really helps is to trace over the different folds with ball point pens before you cut it out. Blue for valley folds, red for mountain. It aids in quick identification of which is which, and also takes care of scoring the paper as well, but thats just my personal preference. All in all, it does look fantastic. I would probably re-size and go with 27mm. Check out the flying squirrel helmet too. I think you'll like it.

Hey hey! Nice to see you on the forums man! As I said before your pep work is awesome and scaling is always a pain but you'll get it. I'm fairly sure my helmet was scaled to 260 - 270mm and you've seen how it fits compared to the rest of my armour. Good luck man!

I think, but I'm not sure, that you might have mixed up a Valley fold for a Mountain. In your first pic, in the lower left hand corner of the visor, that inverted spot looks a bit off. Not sure if it's supposed to be there or not, never made a Mark IV, but if anyone else agrees, I would take a look at that.

Hurrah! Update time!

I felt as though I should stay with this original pep model for the time being, I wanted to see a side by side scale of the same pep model.

So I've gone ahead and scaled the helmet down to 270mm as opposed to my original 280mm. I feel like this one fits quite a bit better than the original... though it still kinda feels big to me

In these photos I put a little piece of foam between my head and top of the model. [its about half an inch/an inch or so]

What do you guys think?

AtoC_Y2CMAAiae7.jpg:large

AtoCbODCMAAsNfa.jpg:large

Here it is next to the original
AtoJ6LBCIAEZiiy.jpg:large

that is one clean pep man, it will save you a TON of bondo work. im already 2 quarts into mine. looks awesome man, if only it was as colorful as the last...

There we go, Just posted a quick little update.

Glassed the helm and I am currently sizing the chest but I am pretty skeptical... what you you think??

That looks pretty good man. To me it seems that the size now is actually a lot better. Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back