Skope's Mark Vi Build **(9/24) Both Biceps 'glassed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

skope

Jr Member
After much research, I have begun my first set of Mark VI Mjolnir armor. I decided to go the pepakura route, and to later detail, fiberglass, and bondo the shape to spec (as shown by Spase's Blog and MLC's Journey). I am using Slyfo's pep files for the helmet.

I started yesterday morning on the helmet and finished this evening. It's amazing how much time I have on Christmas break in the hometown. Thus far, it's just the paper construction. I used Xerox 110 lb. cardstock, with LocTite Super Glue (X-tra Time) as the binder. Both materials proved to be excellent for the job. The super glue set at the perfect time, with a few seconds to align your folds, but not too long so as to leave you holding the pieces for a while. But watch out for that seepage around the tab. I nearly glued my finger to the helmet several times. :p I scored the folds with the backside of my razorblade.

2145002407_15e5c09b8b_d.jpg

2145802430_6119a4be02_m_d.jpg 2145005799_4384ff36a9_m_d.jpg

2145797782_176bfecf45_m_d.jpg 2145800872_8329c4dbe0_m_d.jpg

Tomorrow, I hope to begin the fiberglassing, depending on the itinerary of New Year's plans, but if I can't get to that, I'll just spend time on gathering my detailing sketches for when I can get to the illustration board add-ons. I definitely won't start the chest until after New Year's. Can't wait though! :D

=======================================

Hand Plate Photos

Pepakura
Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3, Pic 4, Pic 5

Primed
Top, Bottom

Painted
2207699531_933b4036ed.jpg

2207701283_ea8f0e16cb_m.jpg 2208492604_b8c96daca4_m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
JoobiDoob said:
Wow. You managed to get the whole thing done in a day?! niiiicce :D

yeah, I started actual construction at around 3:00pm. Before that was prep work. Then I actually went until 5:00am working on it. :D I just wasn't tired, so i kept going. Then I just went after it for most of the next day.

Thanks guys, I'll keep y'all posted.

Awww you should've used FS's or dannies models, both are smooth and good. But still, yours is really nice, a light sanding after resin and glassing should fix those angular pieces. Looks clean cut and folded, nice job.

So I noticed this depression on the bottom corners of the visor area (on both the Halo 2 & 3 version) that seem to go in further than the actual visor does. What is the general solution for this? Just make it a piece that lies on top of the visor? Because it would be a headache to cut through the double visor.

jaw_cave.jpg

In halo 3 the piece actually sticks out, and since you folded yours in, I would just bondo it than sand it to be out and more accurate. otherwise, if you want to cut out the visor around it, then pop it out, then resin and glass the two sides.

AoBfrost said:
In halo 3 the piece actually sticks out, and since you folded yours in, I would just bondo it than sand it to be out and more accurate. otherwise, if you want to cut out the visor around it, then pop it out, then resin and glass the two sides.

Yeah, well that's what the folds in Slyfo's file said to do, so I obeyed. It also looks like in the reference images from Halo 3 that it goes in. But either way, I'll just make it on top.

You might want to try another helmet, I've made them all, but my favorite was flying squirrel's, it's the most accurate, and fully detailed.

AoBfrost said:
You might want to try another helmet, I've made them all, but my favorite was flying squirrel's, it's the most accurate, and fully detailed.
haha ... thanks, but I think I'll just stick with this one. I don't feel much like spending another 18+ hours on a helmet. I'm going to be adding the details on my own with illustration board cutouts.

[Sunday Edit]
Hand Plate Photos Up in First Post

I have begun work on the handplates, and have finished the left one. I've posted the pics in Post #1 of this topic, but here are the links (Angle, Top, Front, Back, On-hand). It took about 4 hours, with an hour or so of that dedicated to cutting out the pieces. There were plenty of wee little folds and flaps, and I did start to get frustrated once. A quick breather dealt with that. The intricacies were worth it, as this piece was excellently designed so that minimal smoothing will be needed to deal with the angles, and no detail will need to be added. Another plus of those intricacies is that the shape lends to a firmer structure. I think a nice coat of resin will be all that this piece needs. All hail Robogenisis for this superb design!

[Monday update]
Built the other handplate just now. The build went quicker this time (got it to 3.5 hours). I'll have a photo up of some double-hand-plate-on-black-gloves action in about an hour. Well, dad ran off with the camera so quality photos will have to wait. In the meantime, here's a phone pic:

2175961881_488b2eb71e_o.jpg

nice crisp folds on those handplates.

I groaned from just looking at those tiny numbers on it.

Keep it up!

Zaso117 said:
nice crisp folds on those handplates.

I groaned from just looking at those tiny numbers on it.

Keep it up!
Thanks, man. There was only one piece that really got me stressing, but it was fairly easy the rest of the way.

I decided to move most of my cluttered thoughts to a blog. It'll keep things cleaner here. I'll just post major developments (picture-worthy) and thoughts here from now on.

Skullcandy Girl said:
Soooooo cool! I gotta get gloves for my handplates XD Everything looks awesome!
LOL ... those are just Isotoner driving gloves :p I'll still need to buy some gloves to go with the armor. Those don't exactly .. umm ... fit the profile.

Cheif's meat hooks probably get cold too... I found a nifty brand Doc Bytes recommend called "Black Jack". Gotta get a small though I have tiny girl hands

Okay, I've got all my resining done on the hand plates. I've sanded one and gotten a coat of primer on it. I'd say I'm pretty satisfied with the result so far. I'll probably go back and Dremel out a little bit of the circular depressions to get more of an edge at the bottom of it. Once again, dad didn't bring the camera back home, so here's a phone pic.

2182045894_49cb88f1cd_o.jpg

SPARTAN405 said:
Oh its lookin nice man! good job so far on the handplates. They look molded.
Thanks! I'm not really tooting my horn, but I'm just as impressed at how they turned out :p It really took me by surprise once that first coat of primer evened everything out.

Okay, so both hand plates have been resined, sanded with 60 grit, primed (primered?) with Krylon gray primer, sanded with 200+ grit (can't remember which number), and another layer of primer was added. And behold! One more phone pic:

2182379506_5a16e33986_o.jpg

hmm.... its looks REALLY cool!!!! also, i have a question... how DO u put te hand plates on to the gloves anyway? ive been trying to find out but im too tired from school and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back