Sleeper Simulant Replica

Discussion in 'Non-Halo Costumes and Props' started by XULUX11, Sep 17, 2015.

1. XULUX11

XULUX11 Member

Hey again 405th! Been a long time since I was on this forum, and I have a killer new project I've just started. The Sleeper Simulant Heavy Fusion Rifle from The Taken King. As of the moment (08-10-17) I have 2 digital models of the Sleeper in my possession, one I modeled myself with building it in the real world in mind, and the in game model which was kindly supplied by zombiegrimm (so sorry it took so long to credit you my friend), and with both of those I've been able to build about half of the real weapon so far. Unfortunately, due to the weapons extremely strange design, I have sacrificed a few small details for the sake of structural integrity. One of those was adding a support rail of sorts to attach the upper "shroud" to the rest of the weapon. On the real Sleeper, this is secured with screws at the top of the shroud. The lower grip, and top shroud of the weapon are made of a carbon fiber and fiberglass composite, these are attached to a central aluminium structure that forms the core of the weapon. The pistol grip I'll also try to have made out of some sort of metal, as other materials simply do not get as cold or feel the same as metal does. Again, I want it not only to look realistic, but feel very realistic. The rest of the Sleeper I'm planning on building out of MDF skinned in fiberglass. So for the moment go ahead and take a look at what I've done so far and let me know what you think, I'd love the feedback!

UPDATE Aug, 12, 2017
    So I finally got around to trying to finish this replica, and a good portion of it is already done. I tackled what I thought would easily be the hardest parts to build first, the strange triangular carbon fiber upper shroud and lower grip. These did indeed take some effort and quite a lot of time to get to an acceptable state. Even now I'm not super happy with how they look, but both parts are incredibly strong and light, which was a clear requirement for this weapon, being that the rest will be considerably more heavy metal and MDF components, and frontheavy weapons are extremely uncomfortable to hold in the hands. I'm confident at the end of the day, that the weight of this prop will be convincing, but not uncomfortably heavy either, so with that aspect I'm pleased.
    DHDgfLJUIAAdIu2.jpg
    DHDgrSIUMAAaPZW.jpg

UPDATE Jan, 8, 2016
    I just got two different types of carbon fiber for the Sleeper. One is a 2x2 twill, the other a plain weave. I got the two different types because I wasn't quite sure what pattern I wanted to use on the majority of the weapon. I bought this carbon fiber from Composite Envisions, and now that I have actually looked at both these fabrics, I'm definitely going to use the 2x2 twill as my outer layer of fabric, its absolutely gorgeous in person, I can't wait to see what I looks like when it has resin on it. I'm going to start building the upper and lower weapon "shrouds" of the Sleeper very soon with both of these materials very soon, as soon as anything of note gets done, I'll throw some pictures up here.
    IMG_20160108_114706.jpg

ALL BELOW IMAGES ARE AN ARCHIVE OF PREVIOUS RENDERS, MODELS, IMAGES, ECT....

Sleeper Simulant Render 003
    Sleeper Simulant Render 003.jpg

Sleeper Simulant Render 002
    Sleeper Simulant Render 002.jpg

Sleeper Simulant Model 002
    Sleeper Simulant Model 002.png

Sleeper Simulant Render 001 (Grip and Barrel)
    Sleeper Simulant Render 001

Sleeper Simulant Model 001 (Grip and Barrel)
    Sleeper Simulant Model 001

Sleeper Simulant Grip Render
    Sleeper Simulant Grip

Sleeper Simulant Grip Model
    Sleeper Simulant Grip Model

Sleeper Simulant Render 002.jpg

Sleeper Simulant Model 002.png

Sleeper Simulant Render 003.jpg

IMG_20160108_114706.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 1:49 PM
    BlazedStarbon likes this.
  2. Archylon

Archylon New Member

Really like the fact that someone is already on this, not much to look at yet but i wish you the best of luck with this and hopes to see more in the future

3. XULUX11

XULUX11 Member

Thank you! I'll be posting updates often so make sure to check back from time to time!

4. Archylon

Archylon New Member

That my friend is a done deal

5. XULUX11

XULUX11 Member

Just a quick bump, I'm still planning on finishing my Sleeper! I've been quite busy lately with several other projects of mine, studying, and so forth, thus I've had to put this one on the back burner for a bit. Anyway I've started working on my 3D model again, and I'll have a couple more renders finished by the end of Sunday.

Cheers
    -Xulu

6. XULUX11

XULUX11 Member

Another bump. I'm finally starting to build my Sleeper Simulaant! I now have a pretty solid plan now of how I'm going to construct the main forward body of the weapon (I still haven't finished modeling the rear section of the weapon). I also just got my carbon fiber in the mail which I'll post pictures of in the main post of the this thread. As soon as I have any major progress made on the Sleeper I'll post pictures here!

7. zombiegrimm

zombiegrimm

I happen to have the Destiny model from the game of this weapon, if you would like it.

8. XULUX11

XULUX11 Member

BUMP BUMP BUMP In anticipation of the release of Destiny I am back working on the Sleeper replica after a full year hiatus. Overall I would say its about half done so far, the shroud, barrel/weapon core, and the lower grip are done and I'm assembling them today! The replica is built in large part with what the weapon is actually made of in game, carbon fiber and metal. I'm my case I used a mostly fiberglass composite with layers of carbon fiber on the outer layer and innermost layer, and the core is just some various aluminium components epoxyed and screwed together. I'll have my most recent progress pics posted in a couple hours!

9. XULUX11

XULUX11 Member

Aaaaaand the first build pics are up! I'll have more tomorrow!

10. Schankerz

Schankerz

Awww yeeees, this is going to be sick, this is one of my favourite weapons in Destiny aesthetically, can't wait for more pictures!

11. XULUX11

XULUX11 Member

Yissssss, it's honestly my favorite exotic just on aesthetics alone, I actually like it even more than Outbreak Prime...

12. XULUX11

XULUX11 Member

As of today the central core, the grip and shroud are all basically finished and attached to each other. I've just finished making the sight for the Sleeper, and that will probably be getting put on the gun later today. Today I will begin the major details on the sides of the core, specifically the 5 backward angled cube things on each side. With any luck, I estimate this replica will be finished and ready for you all to feast your eyes on in maybe a week minimum, 2 weeks maximum, being that most of the hard stuff is done at this point, the rest should be relatively simple in comparison.

BlazedStarbon likes this.