Sliced Armor™ technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, I remember seeing that puzzle before. It came out when they did the "remastered" versions of the original Star Wars movies right?

I think this method could be used to make a lot of cool stuff.

You know you pointed out all three methods that had crossed my mind. I was trying to think of where it all came from and then it hit me. From my college days in my Math courses(Minored in Math), it's the three ways to find the area under a curve in Calculus, and people ask when are you going to use Math in real life.

Anyway you decide to do this, I think it's going to take some real ingenuity and a lot of artistic effort for the details.

23Magnum said:
That's what I figured, and it could work if the slices were of a durable material that you could sand or smooth. I forget what someone said they would use for the slices.

Which edge to use really depends on how Bevbor made the slices. I can't really tell which way he extruded the slices from the images. If they were out away from the model, the inside edge is the way to go. If they were in toward the model, then the outside edge is best.

If I had done these, I would have gone into the model with the slices. After I had the layers align in a physical model, I would fill to the outside edges of the layers. Sand/smooth the surfaces, detailed, then went about making a mold over the model. This is what I thought all this was for.

Hmm, what if you used panels of wood for the layers. Sturdy and sandable. Just an idea.

This idea of yours, Bevbor, is really developing. :)

I think MDF would be a good material to work with. It's consistent, doesn't have grain to deal with, and it'll be easy to work with. Initially, I was thinking that extruding inward, and filling the edges with clay would be the way to go. Now I'm not sure which direction would be the best, might have to do some tests this weekend.

Foam would also be a possibility, since it's sturdy enough, easy to carve, and cheaper.

This does seem like it will be a way for people with only minimal sculpting skills (me) to make a nice sculpt. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say this is a revolutionary idea that really should be taken seriously...I myself cannot stand pep...still made a wholes suit of it but I cant stand it...this could really work and would be beneficial to everyone here....

QUOTE(flying_squirl @ May 19 2008, 11:35 AM) sorry for the delay. i sent you a model bevbor. ill send the better one when i find the damn thing XD

WOW! Thank you so much!!!

I'll work on it immediately!

EDIT: errrrr, there's no attachment in your message =(

Meanwhile I released v1 sliced helmet.

All - Welcome to download!

This is .ZIP file, password: masterchief

2505906754_4c37bd6180_o.jpg

Contents of Helmet_Mk_VI_Sliced_v1.zip:

Helmet_Mk_VI_Sliced_v1.exe - represents helmet model after assembly (2.5mm material thickness).

Helmet_Mk_VI_Sliced_v1.pdf - technical drawings of slices (only one side).

Helmet_Mk_VI_Sliced_v1.txt - this file.

IMPORTANT EDIT: MUST be printed on A3 paper only without any "fit to" or "scaling" functions on!

Assembly instructions.

You can assemble models of materials of two different thicknesses: 2.5mm and 5.0mm.

-- If you want to get MORE detailed sculpt with use of 2.5mm material:

1. Print out all drawings twice.

2. Stick drawings to material.

3. Cut out slices by following lines on drawing, including 2 matching holes.

4. Assemble sculpt considering value in "DWG NO." field on slice drawing beginning from vertical centerplane.

Use two pencils (8mm diameter) to match slices.

!!!IMPORTANT!!!

Consider only FIRST group of digits after word "Slice", this is number in assembly order.

For example: Slice-01-01

Slice-02-24-01

Slice-03-02

Slice-04-25-02

Slice-46-46-23

-- If you want to get LESS detailed sculpt with use of 5.0mm material:

1. Print out drawings that their "DWG NO." field contains only TWO, NOT THREE groups of digits

and second group value is between 01 and 23 - twice, of course.

2. Stick drawings to material.

3. Cut out slices by following lines on drawing, including 2 matching holes.

4. Assemble sculpt considering value in "DWG NO." field on slice drawing beginning from vertical centerplane.

Use two pencils (8mm diameter) to match slices.

!!!IMPORTANT!!!

Consider only SECOND group of digits after word "Slice", this is number in assembly order.

For example: Slice-01-01

Slice-03-02

Slice-05-03

Slice-07-04

Slice-09-05

Slice-45-23

This allows you to "pass" 2.5mm slices that are absent.

P.S. Sorry for my wacky English!

Just DL'd the pack, looks great. I'd be working on this already if I hadn't just finished assembling your unfold of FS's Mk VI. It might take me a while to really get started working on your Sliced Armor™, but it's on my list. I'm hoping to get some small test pieces built soon to examine different materials and techniques.

I think I might take a shot at this, because honestly, if build out of 2mm foamies (if you can change the cuts to 2mm even instead of 2.5 would be ace), it can be fiberglassed, and then filled...and hollowed out easily with any sort of electric knife.

This is the type of "sculpting" I'm doing for making a Lucario (Pokemon/Smash Bros) head...

So yeah, I might give this a go to see how it works.

4ng31 said:
I think I might take a shot at this, because honestly, if build out of 2mm foamies (if you can change the cuts to 2mm even instead of 2.5 would be ace), it can be fiberglassed, and then filled...and hollowed out easily with any sort of electric knife.

This is the type of "sculpting" I'm doing for making a Lucario (Pokemon/Smash Bros) head...

So yeah, I might give this a go to see how it works.

Ok, I'll do it :)
I think about making a package with 2.0mm and 4.0mm thickness.
But it is time consuming work. Maybe a week or so :)

Somebody want slices of other thickness?
Post here values. Inches acceptable also :)

LastSpartan said:
I'm sorry, but what do you mean by DWG?

And the thingy with the slices, not sure I understood what you mean sorry.

DWG is an abbreviation for drawing. Do you mean the comment asking for different section (slice) thickness? I think that 0.25 (1/4) inch would be a very convenient thickness, but I need to make a quick check of what thicknesses that I can get MDF and Foamcore in.

Offhand, how many inches/feet/yards of cutting is that?
I think you can just grab the Measure tool and the edges of each part in Solidworks to see..

bevbor said:
Ok, I'll do it :)
I think about making a package with 2.0mm and 4.0mm thickness.
But it is time consuming work. Maybe a week or so :)

Somebody want slices of other thickness?
Post here values. Inches acceptable also :)

Most foamies come in 2mm, 3mm, and 6mm sizes...2 and 6 being the most common, but the 6mm only come in regular paper size sheets, which might be a problem.

Also, I'm sorry if you have already answered this, but what are the measurements for the file you have released alreay? Want to make sure it's actually wearable before I go tearing into it.

hell'z jumper said:
How do you hollow it out for wearing?
I think you can just cut out material from slices where it seems superfluous for you. Except matching holes, of course.

Vrogy said:
Offhand, how many inches/feet/yards of cutting is that?
I think you can just grab the Measure tool and the edges of each part in Solidworks to see..
Approx. 77 meters (38.5 m each side), 84.208 yards, or 252.625 feet, or 3,031.496 inches.
Are you doing calculations for laser/plasma? :)
Apropos, I did DXF export already...May be thingy will be lasered soon :)

4ng31 said:
Most foamies come in 2mm, 3mm, and 6mm sizes...2 and 6 being the most common, but the 6mm only come in regular paper size sheets, which might be a problem.

Also, I'm sorry if you have already answered this, but what are the measurements for the file you have released alreay? Want to make sure it's actually wearable before I go tearing into it.
Measurements are:
Height: 260.00mm
Depth (form front to back): 337.65mm
Width: 229.80mm
Almost as standard pepakura model.
But because thingy is the base for sculpt, final product may be thicker as client want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back