Spartan164Ant's Build COMPLETE

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this Recon helmet actually happens to be my first Pepakura build. I took some time cutting out each part and then starting gluing when they were all cut out. The build came together quiet well. There is a crease on one part of the helmet. I'm not one to normally blow my own trumpet but I believe this is going better than I thought.

Any help or criticism is absolutely appreciated.

Not bad, guy, not bad at all.

For pepakura I'd recommend scoring the paper. Take two different colored pens, one to represent mountain folds, the other representing valley folds, and press firmly using a ruler to trace the fold lines. This will help give you crisp lines.

Don't use too much glue, it'll get gloppy and sloppy.

Take your time and be as precise as you possibly can. This will save you time, tears, heartache, and sanding in the future.

Good luck!

Hi Sean. Thanks for the compliments and also for the tips.
I put another 2 or so hours in to this again tonight and it's really coming together. There are a few areas that I need to go back over but other than that it's definitely going better than I thought it would.

So over the past 2 days I have made a little bit more progress. However I did have the task of repairing. In one of the the photos you can see that I messed up part of the inside of the helmet. I actually tore off one of the tabs whilst bending and shaping. I then printed out a new section and put it together seperately. I have yet to glue this on as I thought, for me, it made more sense to leave it until more of the helmet is complete so I could tie it in with the bottom half of the visor hole. I then proceeded to work on going further down the helmet. As much as I was annoyed about the tearing, I soldiered on and I am still enjoying myself.

Here's todays progress. Getting on quite well. Definitely better than I expected. Getting a bit worried that it may not fit my head but I'm still going for it and I'll even finish it completely.
Buzzing on my progress considering it's my first attempt at Pepakura. Just the Visor area and chin left.

Progress has been slow this week. Due to bad weather I have actually started on some pep Recon shoulders. I have started adding the body filler to my helmet but the westher is preventing me from carrying on, hence the shoulders. Unfortunately I do not have photos to show but will keep posted in the next few days.

I will share the resin and body filler I have been using. As I live in the UK its difficult to get omhold of the bondo brand so I have been using these:-

Big boy fibre glass resin kit : £7.64 from Toolstation.

Big Boy body filler kit: £4.49 from Toolstation. I did buy the 600ml for roughly £8.
These have actually worked quite well for my helmet so far.
Always happy to pass on help and guidance even if I am new myself.

Also, if anyway has any tips or help on a visor, that would be great.

Progress has been slow this week. Due to bad weather I have actually started on some pep Recon shoulders. I have started adding the body filler to my helmet but the westher is preventing me from carrying on, hence the shoulders. Unfortunately I do not have photos to show but will keep posted in the next few days.

I will share the resin and body filler I have been using. As I live in the UK its difficult to get omhold of the bondo brand so I have been using these:-
View attachment 269663
Big boy fibre glass resin kit : £7.64 from Toolstation.
View attachment 269664
Big Boy body filler kit: £4.49 from Toolstation. I did buy the 600ml for roughly £8.
These have actually worked quite well for my helmet so far.
Always happy to pass on help and guidance even if I am new myself.

That’s some classy branding right there!!! Haha Big Boy. Helmet turned out nice! Look forward to seeing some more progress!

You can pick up a motorcycle visor at any shop catering to those born to ride. There are also flat flexible visors online, but all I'd mmt sources are American so shipping would ruin you. If
You do a little research it won't be hard to find some, though. Around here they're running about $20-$25.

Ok brilliant, that's awesome.
I'll have a look around and see what I can find. I've bought a rotary tool so if I need to cut anything down I'll be sorted and good to go. Will probably just need to find a template of the Recon visor.

Luckily the Recon visor is fairly easy and you can likely get away with a thin sheet of PETG heated and shaped. This is the usual route that I follow for making tinted visors on the cheap.

If you have access to an airbrush or other painting system Alclad II is awesome for chroming.

Thanks for all the useful tips you guys are throwing at me. Will take them all into consideration.

No Helmet progress again tonight, weather has been trash this week. HOWEVER. I do have some progress of my Recon Shoulder that I shall post below. Really getting into this Pepakura, oddly bizzare how therapeutic folding and gluing paper can be, plus at the end you feel like you have achieved something. Again thanks for the useful tips.

You'll be pleased to know that I haven't given up, due to lack of posting and keeping you all up to date. I have decided that my recon helmet, for a first attempt wasn't bad it was quite an accomplishment. However I do feel as if it wasn't up to a good enough standard to completely finish it. It was my first attempt so there is no surprise there. Gluing the folds together is where I think I had a problem, I definitely used far too much glue on some parts. I have started building a Mark V helmet in pep. I may finish off the recon helmet with some filler and paint at a later date but for now I think I need to press on with the Mark V helmet now I have had some practice.

Can I update here or do I have to start a new thread?

Ok awesome, cheers Sean.
I will be continuining progress tonight so I shall be updating later.
I will be doing a Mark V Helmet with elements of recon anyway as I have started the shoulder plates, so I may as well use them.

I decided to spray my Recon helmet this morning. I didn't fully body fill it as I won't be using it for my suit but it seems to be turning out ok.
I've also included some Mark V progress. Will be posting the recon when it's dry.

Here's some progress on the Mark V build. So I scaled this to my head size but I think something went wrong. This is definitely far too big. I scaled ear to ear, did I do this wrong?
View attachment 270195
I don't think that's where your head goes . Because the above visor protrusion is rather long imo . But with the complete helmet done . It should fit ok with some room to spare

Edit : ok it's definitely quite too big

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back