Pep detail level

• I want lots of little folds, HD for me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scratch Building for Me! I want the eDrawing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the sights would probably be easier to scratchbuild, but you can use the pep printouts for templates. Build difficulty is why I left the charging knob out of the model. I'd be easier to use a bolt or carve down a dowel than to fold something so tiny.

*edit*

I just built a scale tester piece, the proper unfolded height for the assembly model is 18.5cm

Loess said:
I think that there aren't any open edges because Pro can save it's native files directly to .obj without any other add-ons or conversion tools.

Just installed ProE Wildfire 2.
Imported my models WITH open edges.
Just Saved them as OBJ.
Imported to PD2.
NO Open Edges At All!!!
I'm shocked!
BFBWahahaha! *seizure*

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet! It would seem that ProE is the solid modeling program to use for exporting .obj files.

Hey, why don't I bring this thread back from the dead.

Did a few hours of work today on a long-overdue scratchbuild.

th_SMG002.jpgth_SMG001.jpgth_SMG004.jpgth_SMG005.jpg

And the pictures that actually show what I got done, aside from gluing up blanks.

th_SMG006.jpgth_SMG007.jpg

It's been way too long since I did any woodworking, I've been too busy with pep and bondo whenever I got into the shop to do this kind of work. I've kinda missed it.

Yay! For reviving the thread!

Yay! For Irwin clamps!

And Yay! For getting back into woodworking by doing a scratch build SMG! :D

Look forward to seeing how it goes buddy, I love the breakdown you've got of the blueprints. ;)

Heh, glad you guys like it. ;)

@ Joe: Yeah, I loves me some Irwin tools... have you ever gotten to try out their pull-saws? :love: And I'm so happy to be back to woodworking, I'm soo much better at it than pep and bondo. And, I better have some decent blueprints, since designing and drawing parts is my day job. I'm trying to keep a set of them nice, so that I can scan 'em to a pdf for anyone that wants to try their hand at my design.

@ V1p3r: Thanks, man. I've been watching your builds a little jealously; while all my time was being eaten up with life and other projects, you were getting to play in your shop. :p

A little unrelated eye candy that I found while I was cleaning the shop to prepare for this build.

th_Seax002.jpgth_Seax005.jpg

My Seax, that I hammered out of 3/8 round rod, I'm only about half way done polishing it, and I still need to epoxy and pin the grip to the tang.

Joe, did you ever finish those UNSC combat knife drawings? ;)

Loess said:
Heh, glad you guys like it. ;)

@ Joe: Yeah, I loves me some Irwin tools... have you ever gotten to try out their pull-saws? :love: And I'm so happy to be back to woodworking, I'm soo much better at it than pep and bondo. And, I better have some decent blueprints, since designing and drawing parts is my day job. I'm trying to keep a set of them nice, so that I can scan 'em to a pdf for anyone that wants to try their hand at my design.

I hadn't even seen an Irwin pull saw til you mentioned them and I did a google, nice looking saws. As for your blueprints I'd be willing to check them out when you're done. Don't know when I'll actually get around to building anything off of them, but I'd like to check them out. :lol:

Loess said:
Joe, did you ever finish those UNSC combat knife drawings? ;)

Funny you should mention that my friend as those very drawings are one of the reasons I haven't had much time to post on the 405th these days. I'll shoot you a PM to discuss it further. ;)

juliet76 said:
I hadn't even seen an Irwin pull saw til you mentioned them and I did a google, nice looking saws. As for your blueprints I'd be willing to check them out when you're done. Don't know when I'll actually get around to building anything off of them, but I'd like to check them out. :lol:]

Funny you should mention that my friend as those very drawings are one of the reasons I haven't had much time to post on the 405th these days. I'll shoot you a PM to discuss it further. ;)

Those saws are well worth the effort to track down, not sure how hard it'd be to get hold of one outside the states, though. I'll make sure I get those plans converted for you next week.

Heh, "accuracy by quantity"?

I got a couple minutes to work on this the other night, and got the handle on.

th_SMG010.jpg

Broke out the old-school dowel jig for this one.

th_SMG012.jpgth_SMG011.jpg

It's been a long time since I've used this jig. Most of the time, a biscuit joint has been faster and better than using dowels. The self-centering of this jig was really useful here, though.

I've got the blueprints scanned in, and up on 4shared,

Pdf of the blueprints (letter sized, dimensions are in inches)

I made a 3d model using WizardofFlight's blueprints, and generated these drawings off of that. Unfortunately, my student license for that software expired, so these and an .obj file are all I have of that model now. I can't make any new drawings, or change dimensions on these anymore.

S1l3nt V1p3r said:
Ooh, nice progress you got there, Loess. So what's next, the front grip?

Thanks, and yeah, the front grip mount block and finishing the grip itself is next to do. I think the trigger guard will come after that. Then, I'll have to figure out what I'm doing with the stock extension.

Haven923 said:
Would you happen to be able to throw the pep file up? I browsed the thread and didn't see it ;)

I'll try to dig that up, the unfold isn't finished, though.

Loess said:
I'll try to dig that up, the unfold isn't finished, though.

Yeah, I dled the one he had up, but I haven't the slightest idea how to unfold in pep.... :unsure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back