• I want lots of little folds, HD for me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scratch Building for Me! I want the eDrawing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loess

Time for me to finally do something useful.

I've been working on modeling the SMG for a little while. Here's what I have so far.

[attachment=5761:smg_wip.JPG]

This model is divided into sections, my current plan is to break it up into the body, grip, stock, front grip, front grip attachment block(this might wind up being part of the body model), and magazine.

Eventually, this will be released as an eDrawing, and in Pepakura. I should be able to make several versions of the pep available if people want.

Thanks, Bevbor. And a big Thank You to WizzardofFlight, for his blueprints. The blueprints and the Halo art book are about the only references that I have.

Loess said:
Thanks, Bevbor. And a big Thank You to WizzardofFlight, for his blueprints. The blueprints and the Halo art book are about the only references that I have.

Don't you have Halo 3 to help you look closer into details? It has helped me with my Magnum plenty of times.

But everything looks good so far, keep up the good work, Loess! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have H3, but I don't have live, so I can't get any of my screen shots off of my 360 and onto my computer. I may just go into theater anyway, though, to look at it close up.

*EDIT*

Here's the latest screenshot, a little progress made.
[attachment=5771:smg_wip2.JPG]

*EDIT 2*

New progress, new pic.
[attachment=5772:smg_wip3.JPG]

And this is probably where I call it a night.

Thanks folks! Here's today's update: I didn't get a whole lot farther, but after modeling for 10 hrs at work, I can only do a couple more hours at home before I need to quit and play videogames. :p

[attachment=5798:smg_wip4.JPG]
[attachment=5799:smg_wip5.JPG]

Part of the fun of using a solid modeling program is movable assemblies. The whole model is broken up into the sections that you would want to build it as, so that the stock will extend, the foregrip will fold up, and the magazine will be removable. When I get around to building one, I'm going to try to have a movable bolt, and make all the catches for the mag, grip and stock operable.

redragon74 said:
that looks pretty hott! what program is that/ is it easy to use?

That's ProEngineer. It's kinda hard to use. There are some simple things that you can do, but something like modeling the SMG is going to be hard without the week :confused: of training (yes, when I got hired at the company I work for, the first thing they did was send me to an entire week of 8hr a day ProE classes) and 3 years of working with ProE, plus 4 years of playing with SolidWorks that I did in my spare time at college.

If you're in school, you might be able to pick up a student version of SolidWorks, or Rhino. Solidworks is a nice program, and it wasn't terribly hard to learn the basics.

daang man, im slowely starting to get into the 3d programing area so im asken what programs are easy to use etc. :p it looks real though thats wats cool about it

The foregrip that can move and stuff looks a little too small to be able to grip it properly, unless I haven't looked at an smg that closely But, other thatn that, looks great! Also, how are you gonna have removable stuff and pivoting stuff in a pep?

Wow looks GREAT!!! :)

Btw, why don't we see in tree on the left pane the part named like "Barrel"? :)
Do you planning to remove all "ROUND" features for pep version?

Loess said:
Part of the fun of using a solid modeling program is movable assemblies.
And more fun - you can move parts of assembly in realtime :)
Once in SW I did chain of 10 elements, added gravity to system.
It was really fun to shake, drop, push and pull this chain :)

Good luck!

Macto Cognatus said:
The foregrip that can move and stuff looks a little too small to be able to grip it properly, unless I haven't looked at an smg that closely But, other thatn that, looks great! Also, how are you gonna have removable stuff and pivoting stuff in a pep?

I scaled all the parts of the model according to Wizzardofflight's blueprints, so they'll be as accurate as his drawings (which look really good to my eye). The model is divided into sections that you'll build separately, then put together into the whole model, so the parts that need to move will be easy to make movable.

bevbor said:
Wow looks GREAT!!! :)

Btw, why we don't see in tree on the left part named like "Barrel"? :)
Are you planning to remove all "ROUND" features for pep version?
Good luck!

Thanks, the barrel is a feature in the smg-body. I hadn't separated it out, I don't know if that'll make the model hard to assemble or not. any suggestions?

The rounds are all grouped together in the part models, so that I can suppress them when I export the models as .obj files to go into pep. When this is done, I'll make my eDrawing, then suppress the rounds and export the HD .obj files, then I'll suppress the hard to fold features and export low detail .obj files.

*Edit*

Yeah, it's fun to play with mechanism connection constraints in Pro, when I went to training, the classwork was modeling the parts of a 2-stroke engine, and I ended up animating the assembly in the last class session.

Round sections can still be made in pep.. Like the barrel, instead of folding the sections, just roll the paper and glue to the caps.

That's awesome. I've been waiting for someone to make a pep of the SMG.

Constructive criticism.. the barrel is a little thin. Beef it up and it will look perfect.

Here's some more shots. Slow progress since I didn't have much time to work tonight.

[attachment=5817:smg_wip6.JPG]
[attachment=5818:smg_wip7.JPG]

I think the barrel is thick enough, but it might be too long, which would cause an illusion of it being thinner than it is.

[attachment=5819:smg_wip8.JPG]

Here's the body, without any of the other parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back