Sue's Veronica Dare Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calliopeia

(I think my previous topic got deleted during the migration, so here it is again.)

I've been working on a Veronica Dare out of Sean Bradley's ODST armour kit. This is my first ever armor and it's pretty exciting!

One of the main issues I face with the armour is sizing. These parts were obviously made for a much larger guy; I'm a 5"4' girl. Cue lots of trimming. D:

I'll update as I go along. First up.. Forearms.

Gauntlets

DSC09791.jpg

Original size. Waay too huge for me.

DSC09795.jpg

After trimming one side. See how much I took off!

DSC09801.jpg

Superglued the connectors, scoured the insides, ready for resin and fibreglassing.

IMG_5713.jpg

Because I trimmed off a lot, it was really hard to join the two halves together. The seams didn't match up at all.

DSC00143.jpg

So we bondo'd the seams. Photo was taken after priming. We also riveted the elbows, but I don't have photos of those.​

More updates to come, including how we shrunk my chestplate. :D

Thanks to Tim (Halo_1) for all the help! *glomps* Wouldn't have come this far otherwise. Edwin (CoZyD3viL) too.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know with a vac formed kit you can trim your parts to size and then glue a styrene strip along the inside of the seam. A lot easier than fiberglassing the halves together. Keep up the great work. I am sure it will look great once you get it resized to you.

To add to Sue's thread, some more pics of her WIP.

And we managed to work out a better strapping alternative to the recommended method suggested by Sean. Thanks to Sue for the test alternative done on her shins and Jason for the photos.

IMG_5783.jpg

IMG_5781.jpg

IMG_5784.jpg

And a behind the scene look at Sue getting her hands dirty....

IMG_5786.jpg

IMG_5785.jpg

IMG_5787.jpg

Enjoy.

Stay safe,

Tim.

Thanks for the comments ya'll!

ACDCrockr209 - Haha I don't usually wear respirators, and 'sides, the whole area is very well ventilated so its alright. :)

I was gonna show my shins progress next but Tim beat me to it.

Shin & Calf armor

DSC00027.jpg

DSC09794.jpg

Trimmed off about half an inch or an inch off the lower portion.

DSC09798.jpg

Knee held together by rivets.

DSC00023.jpg

Measuring the fibreglass.

DSC00022.jpg

Applying the resin coats.

DSC00024.jpg

And doing the same for the calves.

DSC00258.jpg

Sprayed with a silver coat and fitted with elastic straps.

DSC00261.jpg

Still not perfect though; having the strap on the inside forces my leg forward which creates a rather large gap between the back of my leg and the back of the armor.

DSC00312.jpg

So I attached a nylon strap to the back of the shin piece to act as a loop for the elastic strap to pass through. And voila!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back