tapes and bondo/resin

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadidlehopp

Jr Member
hey i was wondering what kind of tapes are compatable with resin??? i was also wondering how you do the whole resin/fiberglassing/bondo thing in the first place:S

kadidlehopper markVI said:
hey i was wondering what kind of tapes are compatable with resin??? i was also wondering how you do the whole resin/fiberglassing/bondo thing in the first place:S
I wouldn't use tape. Some might work, but I suspect most would lose its stickiness. Use a low temp hot glue gun. Read the stickies for read of info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please read the stickies in the Pepakura armor forum. They have just about everything you need, including the answer to these questions. I have already warned you about spamming posts. Post responsibly or be required to take a little break from it.

EDIT: Sorry if I came across a bit harsh. It's just sounds almost like you took specific questions that I answered in the Pepakura FAQ almost verbatum and then rephrased them slightly. But that means that your questions should be answered fully. Just take a little time and look around before starting new threads, read the forum guidelines in this forum as well.

kadidlehopper markVI said:

Tape does indeed work. Use scotch tape on the outside ... and masking tape on the inside for strength. When you put resin on ... the scotch tape will disolve, leaving the outside smooth ... and the masking tape does indeed hold it's stickiness.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, that is also what i do, the scotch will dissolve and leave room for little sanding as well as not as much bondo work. but if your feeling lazy and dont want to mess with bondo, buy some of that filler primer. it will not lend as much detail as bondo, of course, but after a few coats, any leftover tape residue or lines will be covered...

To be honest, I don't know what everyones talking about when they say Scotch tape dissolves in resin. I've used 2 different brands on 3 of my models and have had absolutely no problem with it "dissolving". Could it be because I'm not using Bondo brand resin?

the dissolving isnt a bad thing, but i have used bondo brand resin, and the same thing happens, it just kinda goes away, at least most of it does, but thats why masking tape should be used extensively on the back. ive never been a fan of glue because if you mess up or need to modify something, its too bad...

I used scotch tape on my pep because I got tired of burning myself with hot glue. On mine, the scotch tape dissolved slightly during the resining process. In the end its something you can sand out but if I had it to do again I would have used a glue stick or craft glue.

It's a question of whether you want to spend more time sanding or more time assembling I guess :p

I'd personally never use tape, except on tester models and such. I just think that glue makes the model stronger, and it looks cleaner too.

Elmers glue is ok, as long as you use all purpose, DONT USE SCHOOL GLUE!

Hot glue works best, and is cheap, I'd get a glue gun for 2-3 dollars and a pack of glue sticks for 2-3 dollars. A pack will make you many helmets.

Brush-on super glue works fairly well.
glue001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back