1. 581-Erudite Watch
    Greetings Guest! I am the NEW guide of the 405th Infantry Division. I am 581. Surely, you are asking yourself, who is this fascinating entity and what is he about? Fear not! The staff of this great community has cleverly created a comic to share my backstory with you. Click HERE to learn more!

Dismiss Notice

The Official 405th 581 Build Thread!

Discussion in 'Halo Props' started by FANGS, Jun 13, 2018.

1. FANGS

FANGS Commanding Officer Division Staff

I know there are several of you who are talking about building a 581 for yourselves. In the spirit of what the 405th is all about at it's core, I've started this thread so everyone can share their ideas and progress!

As time goes on and the comic is completely released, we will use this post to add additional reference images for you to use in your plans.

Let the building and sharing begin!

581-a-halo-story-from-the-405th-cover-jpg.jpg

2. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO 405th Regiment Officer

I've been waiting for a few more angles before starting to build up my own 3D model. Comic page release days are the best!

3. Benton188

Benton188

I was talking with another local builder around here, and I told him my idea to make a flying model of 581. He suggested that I use thin polystyrene sheets instead of EVA foam to make his body. This would effectively make him lighter and easier to achieve, but more prone to damage if I slam him into something. What is your guys take on using polystyrene instead of EVA?

Dirtdives, Sean Anwalt, FANGS and 2 others like this.
  4. Viper 466

Viper 466

I've been kicking around the idea of using the 343 shell as a base to start the construction of this guy for Edmonton Expo. I just need some dimensions to have a foundation and a view of the back else I'd have to take creative liberties. Kind of excited to make this.

Dirtdives, FANGS and TurboCharizard like this.
  5. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

Benton188 I think the polystyrene idea is a good one. EVA is too flimsy if you have a thing enough sheet, and too heavy if you have a strong enough layer. This plastic would definitely be better, imo.

...Wonder if it would be kosher to make a ton of little cheap "frames" of 581 to wrap around helium-filled balloons that the 405th could give away at cons. Something heavy enough to prevent them floating away, but light enough that the balloon doesn't sink, you know? That'd be kinda fun. Maybe I'm being too much of a nerd, who knows anymore.....

6. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO 405th Regiment Officer

The thinner foam could be hardened with a coating of Epsilon Pro or similar resin but definitely agree some sort of formed plastic is the way to go.

Vacuum formed PETG 581 balloons? If they're too heavy for helium we can always fill them with hydrogen!
    giphy.gif

Or maybe thinner PETG sheet... Great idea, I definitely want to look into it.

7. Asgardianhammer

Asgardianhammer Identity Officer Division Staff 405th Regiment Officer

STAY AWAY FROM BALLOONS AT CONS! I know many tradeshows I do, if you bring balloons and one gets loose, the convention center will fine you like 500.00 bucks to retrieve it. Other than that I think a monitor balloon for a kids Halo themed Birthday Party would be awesome! Now I want balloons!

Dirtdives likes this.
  8. Viper 466

Viper 466

You might just need a denser foam. EVA in 65 - 100 lb density is really rigid,and much like any chest armor once you start forming it and combining parts it stiffens up fairly fast. this would also allow him to be light enough to float in theory while also being slightly squishy.

Dirtdives likes this.
  9. SavedbyGraceG12

SavedbyGraceG12 Well-Known Member

I was thinking of using something spherical as a base, then attaching the outer parts to it some kind of way. Outer parts would be made out of, pepped parts. I'm sure foam could be used also, instead of cardstock. Although, that would involve having a unfolded 3D model.

Dirtdives likes this.
  10. Benton188

Benton188

Art had mentioned having a pepkaura file for 581. Though if it does need unfolded, I'm sure there's a few of us who could easily do it ;)

Dirtdives and Sean Anwalt like this.
  11. FANGS

David Dawson of Renraku Props shared this today on Facebook! Our first look at all sides of our new little buddy!

36266340_904219396427646_614015216195207168_o.jpg

12. Viper 466

Viper 466

I'm sending him a chat. See if he has the dimensions so I can start hammering on the files for 343 to start the ancillia base.

13. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke RXO 405th Regiment Officer

Viper 466
    Pulled from the comic thread.

Dirtdives and Viper 466 like this.
  14. Asgardianhammer

At some point the model will be available for unfolding i imagine. Art Andrews has already spoken to this in this thread. He has also given dimensions in here as well. Its in the Thread 581 A Halo Comic Story

Dirtdives likes this.
  15. Viper 466

Viper 466

YUS. Just gotta get Phil in on this and we can pick up some pet G and some other supplies.

Dirtdives and Asgardianhammer like this.
  16. Viper 466

Viper 466

I can see the posts now. I was asking about a week prior to the official listing because I already went out and picked up a bunch of supplies. Do you happen to know if the model will be unfolded by a staffer or if that is the prerogative of the people who are taking on the mantle of responsibility (hah) of building 581? I just don't want to con crunch out 581 and have him not live up to what we as 405-er's want it to be.

Dirtdives likes this.
  17. Asgardianhammer

More than Likely Viper 466 it will be performed by a community member, but i could be wrong.

Dirtdives likes this.
  18. Benton188

Benton188

As soon as the 3D file is available I could unfold it in about 4-6 hours. Then I can upload the unfold for anyone who wants it. :)

Dirtdives, Viper 466 and Sean Anwalt like this.
  19. Viper 466

Viper 466

Awesome. If it’s possible for it to be a foam file that would save us a ton of time. If not then we can more than make do. Thanks so much!

Dirtdives likes this.
  20. Benton188

Benton188

Yeah I plan on making both a pep file and a foam file out of it, unless someone else beats me to it of course.

Dirtdives and Viper 466 like this.
  21. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke RXO 405th Regiment Officer

Renraku - what kind of time frame are we looking at for a printable file?

Dirtdives likes this.
  22. Asgardianhammer

PerniciousDuke and Members. Lets let Art Andrews and Renraku work out those details. There may be more that Art has requested that differs from the basics so lets not get too far ahead of ourselves or circumnavigate the two who are heading this project up. It will be up in due time.

Dirtdives likes this.
  23. Asgardianhammer

Awesome offer Benton and i am sure Art Andrews would love to have your unfolding skills on this one!

Benton188 and Dirtdives like this.
  24. Benton188

Benton188

Absolutely! If he wants to toss me the .obj or.stl file before uploading it to the armory so I can unfold it for him I most definitely would. Just have to pray that when it unfolds it doesn't try and create too many small slivers due to 581's round shape and high details. You never know how it's going to turn out until you click that button lol.

Dirtdives likes this.
  25. FANGS

I'm just checking in to see if we have any info on where things are at with the files. I'll let you all know when I have a response.