Props The Official 405th 581 Build Thread!

FANGS

Commanding Officer
Community Staff
Division Staff
I know there are several of you who are talking about building a 581 for yourselves. In the spirit of what the 405th is all about at it's core, I've started this thread so everyone can share their ideas and progress!

As time goes on and the comic is completely released, we will use this post to add additional reference images for you to use in your plans.

Let the building and sharing begin!

581-a-halo-story-from-the-405th-cover-jpg.jpg

I know there are several of you who are talking about building a 581 for yourselves. In the spirit of what the 405th is all about at it's core, I've started this thread so everyone can share their ideas and progress!

As time goes on and the comic is completely released, we will use this post to add additional reference images for you to use in your plans.

Let the building and sharing begin!

I've been waiting for a few more angles before starting to build up my own 3D model. Comic page release days are the best!

I was talking with another local builder around here, and I told him my idea to make a flying model of 581. He suggested that I use thin polystyrene sheets instead of EVA foam to make his body. This would effectively make him lighter and easier to achieve, but more prone to damage if I slam him into something. What is your guys take on using polystyrene instead of EVA?

I've been kicking around the idea of using the 343 shell as a base to start the construction of this guy for Edmonton Expo. I just need some dimensions to have a foundation and a view of the back else I'd have to take creative liberties. Kind of excited to make this.

Benton188 I think the polystyrene idea is a good one. EVA is too flimsy if you have a thing enough sheet, and too heavy if you have a strong enough layer. This plastic would definitely be better, imo.

...Wonder if it would be kosher to make a ton of little cheap "frames" of 581 to wrap around helium-filled balloons that the 405th could give away at cons. Something heavy enough to prevent them floating away, but light enough that the balloon doesn't sink, you know? That'd be kinda fun. Maybe I'm being too much of a nerd, who knows anymore.....

Benton188 I think the polystyrene idea is a good one. EVA is too flimsy if you have a thing enough sheet, and too heavy if you have a strong enough layer. This plastic would definitely be better, imo.

...Wonder if it would be kosher to make a ton of little cheap "frames" of 581 to wrap around helium-filled balloons that the 405th could give away at cons. Something heavy enough to prevent them floating away, but light enough that the balloon doesn't sink, you know? That'd be kinda fun. Maybe I'm being too much of a nerd, who knows anymore.....

The thinner foam could be hardened with a coating of Epsilon Pro or similar resin but definitely agree some sort of formed plastic is the way to go.

Vacuum formed PETG 581 balloons? If they're too heavy for helium we can always fill them with hydrogen!
giphy.gif

Or maybe thinner PETG sheet... Great idea, I definitely want to look into it.

STAY AWAY FROM BALLOONS AT CONS! I know many tradeshows I do, if you bring balloons and one gets loose, the convention center will fine you like 500.00 bucks to retrieve it. Other than that I think a monitor balloon for a kids Halo themed Birthday Party would be awesome! Now I want balloons!

You might just need a denser foam. EVA in 65 - 100 lb density is really rigid,and much like any chest armor once you start forming it and combining parts it stiffens up fairly fast. this would also allow him to be light enough to float in theory while also being slightly squishy.

I was thinking of using something spherical as a base, then attaching the outer parts to it some kind of way. Outer parts would be made out of, pepped parts. I'm sure foam could be used also, instead of cardstock. Although, that would involve having a unfolded 3D model.

I was thinking of using something spherical as a base, then attaching the outer parts to it some kind of way. Outer parts would be made out of, pepped parts. I'm sure foam could be used also, instead of cardstock. Although, that would involve having a unfolded 3D model.
Art had mentioned having a pepkaura file for 581. Though if it does need unfolded, I'm sure there's a few of us who could easily do it ;)

What are we doing now? We are having David go back and rework his model to be printable.
According to HaloNation the ancilla's base size is Dimensions: 1' 11" x 1' 8"... almost 2ft across. Because that size is so unwieldy, we are looking at creating one that is 13.5" wide by 15", roughly 2/3 life-size. We would also like to offer keychains and some smaller, desktop sized versions as well. Time will tell.

Viper 466
Pulled from the comic thread.

At some point the model will be available for unfolding i imagine. Art Andrews has already spoken to this in this thread. He has also given dimensions in here as well. Its in the Thread 581 A Halo Comic Story

At some point the model will be available for unfolding i imagine. Art Andrews has already spoken to this in this thread. He has also given dimensions in here as well. Its in the Thread 581 A Halo Comic Story

I can see the posts now. I was asking about a week prior to the official listing because I already went out and picked up a bunch of supplies. Do you happen to know if the model will be unfolded by a staffer or if that is the prerogative of the people who are taking on the mantle of responsibility (hah) of building 581? I just don't want to con crunch out 581 and have him not live up to what we as 405-er's want it to be.

As soon as the 3D file is available I could unfold it in about 4-6 hours. Then I can upload the unfold for anyone who wants it. :)
Awesome. If it’s possible for it to be a foam file that would save us a ton of time. If not then we can more than make do. Thanks so much!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back