Theron Guard armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra Crispy

Hey everyone. Total noob reporting in, I just discovered this site a few weeks ago (when it was under maintainance too boot), and am very interested.

The reason for my interest is that this seems like a very experienced and friendly community for costumes and the like, whether they're Halo-related or not.

The latter, is what I have to offer at the moment.

For several years prior, I have always wanted to make a Theron Guard costume from Gears of War. For about a year, I planned, a bit naively, to create the suit. Most of my plans were nearly impossible to do, such as using actual metal to form each part. A couple times, the project faded into the background, placed on the backburner as other things arose in my life. But the dream did not.

All flowery prose aside, in about June or July 2009, I truly began to piece it all together, with new ideas and concepts scrounged from the internet, a complete stranger to costumery.

Okay, whatever, I'm sure you've already skipped this part. I'll explain more as people ask.

TL;DR

LOOK WHUT I MAED, GUYS!

TheronGuardpre-halloweenmock-up.jpg

BY THE WAY,
this is a pseudo-work-in-progress shot. I lack the proper makeup, the boots, the helmet (which is not completed yet) the back is missing a lot of detail, and I'm going to make a Boltok soon enough. Also, the shoulderpads are droopier than I'd like in this shot.

MORE WIPS:
13-10-09_1959.jpg

27-10-09_1655.jpg

21-10-09_2052.jpg

27-10-09_1654.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality on some of these, I had to use my phone; I was rushed for time.

Looks Amazing! Congrats on what you made! Cant wait to see the end results! Keep posting your progress.

Sweeeeeet. You're looking quite shiny :D. Looks like you've got great mobility in it too. Just hope the tunic has somewhere you can slip ice packs or the like to keep cool when sporting these duds. ^_^

Hey everyone, thanks for the support/compliments so far! I'm working on the back and gun right now, but it'll be slow because of work and university prep. However, I plan to have it all done by late august, so that I can go to a convention in Toronto with it. :D

I'll post more progress shots along the way.

@Castellan_Craft
Yes, I do have wonderful mobility in this. The most restricting piece is the frill/chestpiece, which prevents me from turning my head too much. And it helps that I'm pretty much sleeveless, even if I'm wearing a leather coat on top. :p

Hey guys, not much news here-

EXCEPT FOR A BOLTOK:
100_2273.jpg

I would have liked it to actually fire/rotate the barrel when I pull the trigger, but that was not possible due to width constraints when working with the nerf gun which it was based off of.

100_2274.jpg

As you can see, the barrel is capped.

100_2275.jpg

I'm holding it kinda funny above so that you can see the handle better. Maybe unnecessary, but who cares?

But yes. I tried to make it look weathered, and think I did okay.

Now onto the helmet!

It looks like you have made great progress. Can't wait to see it all come together!

Nice job. I was thinking of making one of those pistols also, what nerf did you base it off of?

Thanks again folks.

@grenadesonfire
Of course I'm going to make a helmet! The costume would not be complete without it. (Unless I wanted to be Marcus in disguise... o_O)

@smick6
I based this one off of the nerf Maverick. Here's some WIPs I took, so you can get an idea how I did it.
28-06-10_1643.jpg

16-07-10_1529.jpg

No pep involved, all about cutting solid HIP and foam HIP (that's high-impact polystyene, if you're wondering :D)
Also, a rotary tool. It = new best friend.

Okay, this thing is done! I took it to Fan Expo just this past weekend, and the reception was pretty solid. You may have seen me there on Saturday or Sunday, or maybe even just walking around downtown Toronto. I'll admit, I improved quite a bit over the process of the build, and there are many small things that I could have done better, but that's to come, I suppose.

Pics are on their way! Will update within the week! (unless university decides to put a stick in my spokes)

Wow, this looks majorly awesome...i have always thought the theron guards were the best locusts. Im always one in multiplayer. much better than i could ever do, a tiny bitto cc, though, ive been looking through some gears pics on google, and i believe the red isnt so brilliant. it looks much like a combination or burgundy and red (its hard to tell with the lighting of the gears games) still, this is EPIC!!!!!!

Playdohlord, you're absolutely right, the red is a darker, dried blood/rust red. However, it proved impossible to find any spraypaints that fit that agenda. Irregardless, I am pleased with the results. The leather parts of the Theron are usually a dark grey, not black, so perhaps that balances things out a bit.

Also, I found some pictures of me off of the event's facebook page, so they'll satisfy your curiosity about the final product, for now.

My snarl isn't all that great here, I was getting a little tired by that point in the day.
THERONLOOKINKINDACREEPY.jpg

Here's me coming down the escalator with a few friends. It's so you can see the back detail.
THERONONTEHSTAIRS.jpg

Maybe I'll post some more professional pictures later. Again, university will get in the way of acquiring them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back