Tips on cutting armour already rondo'd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

balistek

Jr Member
I have a dremel XPR 400 and I have a cutting disk. However, some areas especially in the Iron man helmet will make it nearly impossibly to use a cutting disk. Atleast in my opinion. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to making cuts in these areas.

Please excuse the condition of the helmet, I have not started to actually smooth the helmet yet. Pics are below

P7030118.jpg

P7030117.jpg

P7030115.jpg

P7030119.jpg

My main concerns are areas around the face plate especially in the front area. Also, the arched area above the ears. Was I suppose to cut this out prior to rondo during the resin phase? I kept it 1 piece until now to try and limit the possibility and amount of warping. Look forward to your responses. Thanks for the help.

I am actually working on the exact same thing at the moment. What I did was wait until after the bondo stage to cut it so that, as you said, it would limit warping. The way I cut it was but pretty much using the cutting blade for the temple bit and above, but near the mouth and jaw and stuff I used the engraving tool to make sort of a guideline and when I looked through the inside of the helmet there were a few little bits where I had gone too far, so I just carefully cut it from the inside.

Also, try to be as careful as possible when cutting because the blade can catch and scratch bit you don't want scratched

Do you have a picture of the cutting blade on the dremel you are referring to? I don't see how it cannot do the job. it should work just fine.

just a traditional cutting disc. I dont think it would be possible to make a clean cut along an arch. The dremel tool itself is also quite cumbersome in this application

just a traditional cutting disc. I dont think it would be possible to make a clean cut along an arch. The dremel tool itself is also quite cumbersome in this application
If you're trying to cut along an arch, I would suggest trying to make angled cuts in an arch format (sort of like how a decagon is like an angled circle). You can then file the angles with a metal or sanding file to shape it into a curve. (Try finding the smallest cutting bit you can).

For future reference, you should cut after piece is resined and fiberglassed to minimize cutting after the bondo process.

If there are some parts that you do not want to chance damaging with a Dremel, you could drill a small hole through and use a "jeweler's saw", or "coping saw". With these you can feed the blade through the hole and carefully cut the piece apart. It will not be as fast as a Dremel, but you can (potentially) be a bit more accurate with the cut.

I would say that would probably work. you would still need to drill a small hole just large enough for the blade unless your cut starts on the outside. I didn't know they made that attachment. I may have to pick one up myself because I will eventually run into the same problems you did.

Do you have a picture of the cutting blade on the dremel you are referring to? I don't see how it cannot do the job. it should work just fine.

Iron, lol I'm in the tip & helping mood today huh lol. Anyway I would always recommend these over a cut off wheel for the dremel, as they break easily & becomg shrapnel!!

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/skus/p_257100100_1.jpg
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/1/18136.jpg
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Images/DB_Detail/_72038__95872__.jpg

i used a combination of tools to cut this helmet. Its just a tad too small, so I figured what the hell. Learn how to cut it. I first used a drill with smallest bit i had. I knocked holes in it all along the edges of the face plate. I then used a kitchen knife to get the cut started big enough for me to use a reciprocating saw. I also used the dremel with cutting blade in the very tight areas.

This is what I got. Its not the CLEANEST cut, but I will repair it with bondo. Will be giving sharkheads HD helmet a go prolly next month.

Pics:
P7090124.jpg

P7090125.jpg

hey warmachineelite, I actually did use that disc in some areas. Its just that the Disc is not wide enough to cut all the way through. I don't have a flex shaft so getting the dremel inside the helmet to help cut from that angle was out of the question.

With that in mind, for majority of the easy cuts, I believe this disc would probably yield better results. It is thinner and has a larger diameter when you need it.
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/AttachmentsAndAccessories/Pages/AttachmentsDetail.aspx?pid=EZ409

But you are right, when I cut the arches along the ears. I used a diamond cut wheel from dremel

hey warmachineelite, I actually did use that disc in some areas. Its just that the Disc is not wide enough to cut all the way through. I don't have a flex shaft so getting the dremel inside the helmet to help cut from that angle was out of the question.

With that in mind, for majority of the easy cuts, I believe this disc would probably yield better results. It is thinner and has a larger diameter when you need it.
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/AttachmentsAndAccessories/Pages/AttachmentsDetail.aspx?pid=EZ409

But you are right, when I cut the arches along the ears. I used a diamond cut wheel from dremel

I gotta check out that wheel. Yeah I know whatcha mean getting in that helmet to cut without a flex Shaft. It sucks...lol That is what i'm investing in next. Also I need a better dremel tool while im at it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back