Too Many Iron Man Armour Threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking, a lot of costume makers are now doing a lot of Iron Man files, what does everyone think about this? Do you feel that they are hijacking the site or are you all for it. I know that I am guilty of doing a lot of Iron Man things, but I would like to know how everyone feels about it.

Well, I don't really mind the threads, as long as they are commited to the build.

Now, if people are going to say that they're going to start a suit, but are too lazy to build the pieces, then there is a problem because they are just cluttering up the site with useless builds threads.

Just throwing in my 2 cents.

-Pony

ACDCrockr209 said:
Well, I don't really mind the threads, as long as they are commited to the build.

Now, if people are going to say that they're going to start a suit, but are too lazy to build the pieces, then there is a problem because they are just cluttering up the site with useless builds threads.

Just throwing in my 2 cents.

-Pony

i Concur/Agree with this. Except this is my 2mb/s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being as it was just released I can see how alot of people are excited about doing Iron Man related projects. As far as feeling like they're hijacking the site I think what sets the 405th apart from others is that we embrace all kinds of subjects. Sure, things started out with Halo; the fact that it's branched out is a bit refreshing, though, and offers a little more creative inspiration. Personally I found my way here while looking for Fallout costume ideas. Guess that's all I've got to say on that, so I'll get back to pepping ;)

its a costuming site, you can build whatever you like

I agree, I dislike the "Im gonna do this" threads that go nowhere and you can tell they are going nowhere from the start.

Of course the excitement generated by the film has people more interested in making the suits. In my opinion there really are only two or three threads at best that contain worthwhile content to follow that will result in full high quality suits. The same phenomenom happens with Batman stuff...new movie comes out...everyone and thier dog jumps on the bandwagon having to have the new suit...when the dust settles two or three guys have great builds.

On the downside I do think the popularity will make the suit redundant. No matter the level of quality when you go to a show where every guy has an Iron Man or War Machine, people ( me too) just stop caring. Mass production to me always tends to kill the appeal. I lived thru this with Star Wars costuming which I gave up on years ago, gave up on Batman, gave up on Predator...if you dont make it and wear it in the first month, you get lost in a sea of the same suit...and the general viewing public doesnt care or even know the subtle differences in styles. I have a storage unit filled with costumes that end up being a waste because they get overdone. It ends up being only worthwhile for collectable sake.

Yeah, I agree, I have seen quite a few threads started where people show their faceplate that has been pepped and then it's the end.

Considering that this site is pretty much a hub for all things pepakura costumes (or at least the biggest one i know of) it makes sense to post iron man pepakura stuff here. Sure there is SectionSixteen forums and the SIWDATE..rhfetaeg forum for elite iron man builders or something but i guess they don't like pep stuff too much over there. The RPF is becoming more accepting of pep suits now because of their popularity but its only just beginning. This site on the other hand has fully embraced all things pepakura and as such, is filled with knowledgeable people who for the most part give great advice on just about anything you can think of. Its a wonderful community of people who love to make pepakura costumes most of which are Halo. The 405th really opened the door to vast opportunities with pep costumes. Iron man just happens to be really hot right now with the release of movie doubled with people being inspired by the few actually brilliant builds out there and want to be apart of it. Is 405th a Halo site? absolutely, but i feel its more than just that and it shows with all the variety of costumes other than just Halo and Iron man.

I really don't feel its necessary to start a thread (or two within a few hours of each other by another) in a manner that almost sounds like complaining. Maybe i misunderstood your intent on starting a thread about being too many iron mans. Why start one if you aren't complaining?

The site is evolving into something i think is even better than it was before. Being exclusive in anything, in this case Halo, can be rather annoying. So let it go, there's no need for further threads. If it gets out of hand with all the other costume threads or iron man in particular, i am sure the mods will take care of it in a manner they see fit and fair.

thats probably about my 5 cents worth right there.. :)

dubean33 said:
Considering that this site is pretty much a hub for all things pepakura costumes (or at least the biggest one i know of) it makes sense to post iron man pepakura stuff here. Sure there is SectionSixteen forums and the SIWDATE..rhfetaeg forum for elite iron man builders or something but i guess they don't like pep stuff too much over there. The RPF is becoming more accepting of pep suits now because of their popularity but its only just beginning. This site on the other hand has fully embraced all things pepakura and as such, is filled with knowledgeable people who for the most part give great advice on just about anything you can think of. Its a wonderful community of people who love to make pepakura costumes most of which are Halo. The 405th really opened the door to vast opportunities with pep costumes. Iron man just happens to be really hot right now with the release of movie doubled with people being inspired by the few actually brilliant builds out there and want to be apart of it. Is 405th a Halo site? absolutely, but i feel its more than just that and it shows with all the variety of costumes other than just Halo and Iron man.

I really don't feel its necessary to start a thread (or two within a few hours of each other by another) in a manner that almost sounds like complaining. Maybe i misunderstood your intent on starting a thread about being too many iron mans. Why start one if you aren't complaining?

The site is evolving into something i think is even better than it was before. Being exclusive in anything, in this case Halo, can be rather annoying. So let it go, there's no need for further threads. If it gets out of hand with all the other costume threads or iron man in particular, i am sure the mods will take care of it in a manner they see fit and fair.

thats probably about my 5 cents worth right there.. :)

I apologize if you thought that I was complaining because I was by no means complaining. I love Iron Man and all of the builds that have come along with it, but I just wasn't sure as to weather I should post a lot of my progress because I didn't want anyone to get annoyed or report me for starting something off topic.

Perceptor said:
I apologize if you thought that I was complaining because I was by no means complaining. I love Iron Man and all of the builds that have come along with it, but I just wasn't sure as to weather I should post a lot of my progress because I didn't want anyone to get annoyed or report me for starting something off topic.

ah well thats a valid reason then :) if you have some significant progress, i'd say go ahead and start a wip thread. i love seeing IM threads with lots of pics! i dont think anyone (i hope not) has a problem with the threads that have some real work an progress in them. I agree i do not enjoy seeing so many of the Iron man threads falling by the wayside. In the same light, i also hate seeing people start mk vi Masterchief suits or whatever Mk they do and then fizzle out. I'd love to see your progress

I am quite new here to the 405th and have been searching the site mainly just to see all the different builds that people are doing. I'll admit I have never played Halo before, it looks friggin awesome. I am a bit of an IM fan myself(almost done with the helmet,will post pics when complete,later today). It's just encouraging to know that there is a site that supports #1 noobs and doesn't shunn us, #2 costume making as a whole, not just Halo, even though that is what it was founded upon. My hat is off to you 405th!:)

Oh, my god, YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS far too many iron man threads, and sometimes not even iron man. Last i checked, we revolved around halo. Glad i didnt have to start the thread.

Aaron said:

Actually, even though Halo is one of our more popular props, we aren't mainly Halo, there are those out there building many different things, from Daft Punk, to Fallout, to Iron man, heck I even saw Slade from Teen Titans. This is a costuming website where we build what we LIKE to build, not just Halo. (Even though I love Halo.)

Now I am glad to see the diversity in costume/prop building on here, it shows that even though we build many different things, that we are still able to come together to help each other in this awesome community.

Plus Iron Man Rules. :D

rundown said:
I'm actually glad that there is some variation :) Everybody his own liking i guess.

Win :) Its fun to find new talents, in many different kinds of costumes/props

Drgnfyre4 said:
new movie comes out...everyone and thier dog jumps on the bandwagon having to have the new suit...when the dust settles two or three guys have great builds.

EXACT same thing happened with the ODST suits when Halo 3: O.D.S.T. came out. Its just the natural flow of things... except I have seen a strong number of quality ODSTs out there

Shade said:
Now I am glad to see the diversity in costume/prop building on here, it shows that even though we build many different things, that we are still able to come together to help each other in this awesome community.

agree and disagree. being exclusive does kill the excitement of new builds a bit, and especially with Halo's popularity in decline (Reach might change that?), seeing new things does keep the fire alive. however, this site's title is "405TH INFANTRY DIVISION COSTUMING COMMUNITY OF THE HALO UNIVERSE" meaning it should keep focus mainly on Halo. In my opinion, other stuff should be allowed, but kept in another section. Like, have the noob forum (doesn't matter what you're building, it looks the same as everyone else's) and elite section universal (not much goes into elite anyways, so some excellent nonhalo stuff could be allowed), and have two different creation forums: one halo, one other stuff. That way, it would be clear that the 405th is still halo oriented as it was originally created. AAAAND it would be much easier to find any non-halo things you could be looking for. Anyways, just my opinion on how it would be done if I were king of the world. It's really fine how it is, but it makes fads a little too annoying. managible, but annoying.

that was probably about $0.04 worth :D

Nope, we're an Armor Making site. One of the reasons we chose 405th, is that it doesn't have to be Halo Specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back