Triple ODST Spartan Build

DeltaAlphaZulu

RXO
405th Regiment Officer
Member DIN
S970
This will be my first documented build(s) log. I plan to complete 3 separate but similar ODSTs in different styles to have a different suit for each day of a three day convention. My main idea is to make a standard black ODST (Delta), a sport type ODST (Alpha)(white base with flashy accents) and a desert camouflaged ODST (Zulu).

As for my first update I'm testing materials (PETG and TPU) to get print settings figured out and making a knife prop to shore up my finishing and painting skills.

The first issue I've run into is my S5 will not get to the 85 degrees bed temp that the manufacturer recommends for the PETG. It gets up to 65 degrees, pitches a fit and tells me to restart it. So I set it a 65 degrees and made a Benchy.

20221007_143227.jpg

-Benchy circa 2022-

I think the Benchy turned out fine, let me know if you see something that I missed.

The second part of the update is more interesting and that is the knife print that I have been working on this weekend.

-Rough Print

Screenshot_20221006-190545_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20221006-190556_Messenger.jpg

-Spot puttied and sanded

20221006_190333.jpg

-Primed and Sanded

20221006_200243.jpg

-Base color

20221007_115748.jpg

-Taped up for first detail

20221007_131146.jpg

I should have all the painting done before tomorrow, so I'll update again later tonight when it's finished

That's about all I have for this initial update. I thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings, learn with me, and teach me anything I may or may not know! If you have any advice or questions on filaments, print settings, processes or anything else just let me know and I'll try to respond as soon as I can, I appreciate all input!

Last update for the day.

All the painting and weathering is done on the knife. I don't think its to bad for my first attempt at weathering!

20221007_152011.jpg

- Black plastidip to make the handle rubberized

20221007_155128.jpg

- Final tape off for grind and fuller paint

20221007_163531.jpg

- Silver blade and fuller

received_849758679716992.jpeg

- Making it dirty

20221007_170423.jpg
20221007_170428.jpg
20221007_170432.jpg

- Tied it to the bumper and dove up and down the street a few times.

I think I went a little to heavy on the scratches on the sides of the blade, but I think adding the scratches from the sheathe and the batoning marks on the spine are good touches.

I think the next project I'll be working on is a DMR print set I found on Thingiverse, so the next update will probably be what progress I've made on that.

Last edited:
That's a pretty bold plan, printing three completely different ODST suits, but given that I have the same plan (albeit not set in stone), I say that supportively. Also, the knife looks wicked awesome for the most part; a little too scratched up along the faces of the blade, admittedly, but overall, it looks really good.

That's a pretty bold plan, printing three completely different ODST suits, but given that I have the same plan (albeit not set in stone), I say that supportively. Also, the knife looks wicked awesome for the most part; a little too scratched up along the faces of the blade, admittedly, but overall, it looks really good.
I agree, it's a long term goal. Once one set is made it's just rinse and repeat with additional hindsight. To me the only real limiting factor would be print time, but I'm in no rush from con crunch (yet) so I can just cruise at a weekend project speed. Also I'd love to see people with multiple suits with different motifs and styles, so I encourage everyone to try!

I got an ender 3 pro, I've only done a couple test prints so far
but they've turned out nice, so I'm excited to print some real stuff!
I still have some Halo Fleet battles ships I want to print, then I'll look into making some models for cosplay stuff :p
Nice that's what I printed my entire last suit on! If you start having issues with your prints check your extruder gear and nozzle. Also you'll eventually need to replace the plastic feed piece on your extruder assembly once the hole in it wears out. I've looked into printing pelican and longsword models before but never committed to it so that may also be one of my smaller project.

Nice that's what I printed my entire last suit on! If you start having issues with your prints check your extruder gear and nozzle. Also you'll eventually need to replace the plastic feed piece on your extruder assembly once the hole in it wears out. I've looked into printing pelican and longsword models before but never committed to it so that may also be one of my smaller project.
Awesome thanks!

The thing I'm trying to figure out now is how to breakup larger models to fit onto the print bed and assemble later, any tips?

Awesome thanks!

The thing I'm trying to figure out now is how to breakup larger models to fit onto the print bed and assemble later, any tips?
I use blender to slice up models. It's free and pretty easy to use and it has a built-in 3d printing plugin for making parts manifold and exporting stls. I've got some time today so I'll post a video either here or a link to a YouTube video showing how I do it for you, so if you have any questions send them to me and I'll address them for you.

I use blender to slice up models. It's free and pretty easy to use and it has a built-in 3d printing plugin for making parts manifold and exporting stls. I've got some time today so I'll post a video either here or a link to a YouTube video showing how I do it for you, so if you have any questions send them to me and I'll address them for you.
Awesome thanks!

Awesome thanks!
So good news and bad news. Good news, I got the video done. Bad news, it's 19 minutes long which is over YouTube's 15 minutes for channels that aren't verified, so I have to verify my account and I'll have it uploaded sometime tomorrow!

So good news and bad news. Good news, I got the video done. Bad news, it's 19 minutes long which is over YouTube's 15 minutes for channels that aren't verified, so I have to verify my account and I'll have it uploaded sometime tomorrow!
If by verified, you mean have the little checkmark, you don't need to worry about video length limits. I routinely post videos that are excess of three hours long, and my account isn't verified (and I've had it since I was in high school). That said, I don't know what you're trying to do.

If by verified, you mean have the little checkmark, you don't need to worry about video length limits. I routinely post videos that are excess of three hours long, and my account isn't verified (and I've had it since I was in high school). That said, I don't know what you're trying to do.
I made a new account specifically for this ,so I don't have a channel history which is causing my problems. It's verify or I have to wait a few months to post the video.

Oh, I see. I legitimately forgot and didn't realize that was a problem (what with how long I've had my channel).
It's ok I was wrong too I just need to verify my phone number for 15+ minute videos, although for links I need the verification!

This thread is more than 10 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back