Triple ODST Spartan Build

This will be my first documented build(s) log. I plan to complete 3 separate but similar ODSTs in different styles to have a different suit for each day of a three day convention. My main idea is to make a standard black ODST (Delta), a sport type ODST (Alpha)(white base with flashy accents) and a desert camouflaged ODST (Zulu).

As for my first update I'm testing materials (PETG and TPU) to get print settings figured out and making a knife prop to shore up my finishing and painting skills.

The first issue I've run into is my S5 will not get to the 85 degrees bed temp that the manufacturer recommends for the PETG. It gets up to 65 degrees, pitches a fit and tells me to restart it. So I set it a 65 degrees and made a Benchy.

View attachment 324016
-Benchy circa 2022-

I think the Benchy turned out fine, let me know if you see something that I missed.

The second part of the update is more interesting and that is the knife print that I have been working on this weekend.

-Rough Print

View attachment 324017
View attachment 324018

-Spot puttied and sanded

View attachment 324012

-Primed and Sanded

View attachment 324013

-Base color

View attachment 324014

-Taped up for first detail

View attachment 324015

I should have all the painting done before tomorrow, so I'll update again later tonight when it's finished

That's about all I have for this initial update. I thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings, learn with me, and teach me anything I may or may not know! If you have any advice or questions on filaments, print settings, processes or anything else just let me know and I'll try to respond as soon as I can, I appreciate all input!
That knife looks amazing!

2022-10-1018.18.483937237884817314431.jpg

So it begins....

This will be my first documented build(s) log. I plan to complete 3 separate but similar ODSTs in different styles to have a different suit for each day of a three day convention. My main idea is to make a standard black ODST (Delta), a sport type ODST (Alpha)(white base with flashy accents) and a desert camouflaged ODST (Zulu).

As for my first update I'm testing materials (PETG and TPU) to get print settings figured out and making a knife prop to shore up my finishing and painting skills.

The first issue I've run into is my S5 will not get to the 85 degrees bed temp that the manufacturer recommends for the PETG. It gets up to 65 degrees, pitches a fit and tells me to restart it. So I set it a 65 degrees and made a Benchy.

View attachment 324016
-Benchy circa 2022-

I think the Benchy turned out fine, let me know if you see something that I missed.

The second part of the update is more interesting and that is the knife print that I have been working on this weekend.

-Rough Print

View attachment 324017
View attachment 324018

-Spot puttied and sanded

View attachment 324012

-Primed and Sanded

View attachment 324013

-Base color

View attachment 324014

-Taped up for first detail

View attachment 324015

I should have all the painting done before tomorrow, so I'll update again later tonight when it's finished

That's about all I have for this initial update. I thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings, learn with me, and teach me anything I may or may not know! If you have any advice or questions on filaments, print settings, processes or anything else just let me know and I'll try to respond as soon as I can, I appreciate all input!
Aw man this sounds ambitious, I love it! Is it going to be 3 completely different suits or is it going to be like a base undersuit with different armor pieces that can be swapped on? (I know it's early but I'm very excited already to see Zulu, I love desert stuff!)

i think i am going to make a odst build soon these look like a lot of fun you are doing a great job so far. you have a lot more energy then this old guy lol.

Aw man this sounds ambitious, I love it! Is it going to be 3 completely different suits or is it going to be like a base undersuit with different armor pieces that can be swapped on? (I know it's early but I'm very excited already to see Zulu, I love desert stuff!)
I plan on doing 3 different undersuits, also with Zulu I'm planning on doing a smoke or black visor.

i think i am going to make a odst build soon these look like a lot of fun you are doing a great job so far. you have a lot more energy then this old guy lol.
I personally think ODSTs are cooler than Spartans, regular people that can beat tough enemies. The printers do most that hard work, I've done a foam build, so I think anybody that can make a good looking foam suit is doing a lot more hard work than I do on a 3d printed suit!

I personally think ODSTs are cooler than Spartans, regular people that can beat tough enemies. The printers do most that hard work, I've done a foam build, so I think anybody that can make a good looking foam suit is doing a lot more hard work than I do on a 3d printed suit!
Depends on how much sanding you do! lol

Just a little update for this week. No completed pieces, but quite a bit of material testing!

Testing out how well PETG sands, takes spot putty, primer, and paint. Also testing some specialty spray paint, all on this weeks episode of Pimp My Benchy!

20221013_200709.jpg

So the PETG sands faster and smoother than PLA without breaking through the skin.

20221013_201806.jpg

It also takes spot putty well.

20221013_214649.jpg

As well as sandable and fillable primer!

And for the final polish on this Benchy...
20221013_232606.jpg

Purple to green color shifting paint on top of a black basecoat.

(Edit) Long story short as far as materials go at this moment I would highly recommend PETG over PLA. The only gripes I have thus far are the tendency to have delamination if settings aren't right and the absolute pain some of the supports are to remove depending on location due to the sturdiness of the material.

That's about it for this update.
Bonus points go to whoever guesses what I'm using the color shifting paint on. Here's a hint it's going to pair with my DMR build!

Last edited:
Quick update, I've been a bit busy with getting a table built for my office that's big enough for my S5 to fit on, so long story short not much in the way of progress. Although now that it's finished and set up I am planning on making a video on replacing that pesky press fit extuder gear that comes on the cr10/ender series of printers because mine finally wore out and you only really get 1 opportunity to make a video removing that gear. So I plan on having that video uploaded by Friday this week and then I'm going to shoot for having a video on joining and finishing parts ready for next Friday. It's going to be a busy week but lots of fun stuff will be posted shortly!

Who doesn't love worn out extruder gears! I bought some steel gears to test and see if they're a good alternative to brass.
20221024_185033.jpg

Last edited:
Just a quick, fun, little 3D Print for Halloween! I needed to test the new extruder gear and nozzle somehow! One of the more complex skulls to get in Halo 3 in seach of getting that wonderful Hayabusa armor and one of the best bits of spoken dialog in the entire halo series, I give you the IWHBYD Skull!
20221028_034508.jpg

With learning how to use the editing software and having my attention elsewhere I've only been able to finish a short video on removing the extruder gear from the stepper motor, but I do have all the processes for replacing the extruder assembly recorded so all that's left on that project is to voiceover and edit. I think I should be able to get that video out sometime in the middle of next week.

As far as props go I'm mainly just waiting on prints to finish. After printing one piece at 0.3 layer height and another at 0.1, I've decided to print most components at 0.1 just due to the sheer leap in finish quality. I'll post the comparison in the next update. Fun fact printing at 0.1 saves 25% the filament that 0.3 uses on the parts I'm printing.

To wrap it up I hope you enjoy my dissent into spending more time on recording and showing how to do what we do here to hopefully inspire the next wave of Halo Cosplayers to pick up 3D printing, foamsmithing, and prop and armor making just like those who inspired us to do the same. I really appreciate this community for how supportive it is to all it's members and how they treat them like family. I love you guys and gals.

Long story short, have a great day, enjoy the video, and expect more to come!

Last edited:
Time for another fun update!

The video for this week is cut and edited, so now it will only need voice-over and sounds to be ready for a maybe Wednesday maybe Friday morning post.

My current prop project is 80ish % of the way printed so I want to try to get a video on prepping and fusing parts set up for next week or maybe the week after. As for what my project is I'll just show you.

20221031_164242.jpg

I still haven't decided what I want the base color to be to go under the colorshift paint, so if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them!

That's it for this one, stay tuned for a 3d printer video this week and a prop video within the next two weeks!

Edit:
I almost forgot that in my last post I said I'd show the difference in .1 and .3 layer height. The amount of time and material saved in the finishing process is 100% worth the extra hours of print time in my opinion. In this image .1 is on the left and .3 is on the right.

20221031_165746.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back