Props Type 32 Rapid Attack Vehicle (AKA Ghost)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton188

RCO
Member DIN
S188
During the winter months, it's not possible for me to work on Sheila the Tank. So normally, I use this time to work on other projects, be it fixing my armor or building new weapons. Just this past week I went to an auction and won a bid for an old electric scooter, something I had been keeping an eye open for for one particular project. Now I'm waiting on a new charge cable to come in the mail, but I think it's safe to say that this little scooter will soon become a Covenant Ghost!
I've already started modifying a pep file I found so I can make it out of EVA foam with a PVC skeleton. I need to keep the weight low as the maximum recommended weight for the scooter already is 250lbs (113kg). Right now I'm just going to work on the overall shell and seating, but I'm thinking of maybe adding lights and sounds at a later time, as well as changing it from a handle bar set-up to the levers it uses in the game. Also, this Ghost will be scaled down slightly from the usual size as it would look awkward and be very hard to actually drive. In the end it should be around 4 feet (1.2 meters) wide and about 5 feet (1.5 meters) long. So she won't be full size, but instead be designed so anyone can use it as a little con buggy lol.
23668938_1118037678332577_4451204946082032046_o.jpg
Ghost pep.jpg

EDIT: I've now included both the old version and new version of the foam files below.

Attachments

• Halo Reach Ghost2.pdo
    2.7 MB · Views: 207
  • Ghost.pdo
    809.8 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
UPDATE!!
Welp, the battery that came with it is dead. It won't hold a charge at all, but i was able to give it power with the charger hooked up and it runs fine. So now that I know it can run, and while I wait for some new batteries to come in, I can get started on the foam work. I also increased the size of the build to be 5 feet wide by 6 feet long, as I realized that the height was awkward when it was only 4 feet wide. Normally, the Ghost would be tall enough for the drivers head to be covered and he'd look on a screen to see where he's going, but I'm designing this one to be just at chin height so the driver can see over the top. Plus if I made it any bigger than 5 feet wide, it'd have awkward handling and be a nuisance to drive on sidewalks or in hallways if ever needed.
So now comes the fun task of printing out 114 pages and cutting out and taping together all the giant pepakura pieces.....yay....lol

How are you going to compensate for the scooter leaning when it turns? The lower ends of the body will scrape the floor every time you turn. I do recall someone making, or suggest making, this out of a 3 wheeled scooter.....like a little rascal type, Something like this: lil-rascal-x4b.jpg. Perhaps some "training wheels" on the sides? Unless you build the frame way up high, then you'll have that look you want where the driver's head is somewhat covered and looking more at the "screen".

How are you going to compensate for the scooter leaning when it turns? The lower ends of the body will scrape the floor every time you turn. I do recall someone making, or suggest making, this out of a 3 wheeled scooter.....like a little rascal type, Something like this: View attachment 251375. Perhaps some "training wheels" on the sides? Unless you build the frame way up high, then you'll have that look you want where the driver's head is somewhat covered and looking more at the "screen".

Yes, the whole body of the ghost will be raised off the scooter by a good 18". The scooter doesn't seem to be designed to turn by leaning as much as just turning the handle bars instead. More than likely the only parts that would be affected if it leans are the wings in the front, and if it comes to that then I will slap on some training wheels in the back. Right now I'm still kinda planning this out as I go, so it's going to be a little bit of trial and error building lol.

You should be able to get some cardboard refrigerator boxes from an appliance store so that you could do a quick mock up.

You should be able to get some cardboard refrigerator boxes from an appliance store so that you could do a quick mock up.

Or worst case you can get some moving boxes from Home Depot for a couple of bucks. If you're super desperate, head to a liquor store and ask for wine cases.

You could even get cardboard fro your local grocery store.......ask for the ones not used by produce......they kind of smell.

Yes, but taping carboard together is not my idea of a fun time hence the giant boxes that refrigerators come in.

Benton188 - If you have any sort of computer image skills (I use GIMP) you should be able to do a quick watermark too. Take a father away picture of your scooter then rotate the pep file to be the same angle and take a screenshot. Then you can overlay the pep file with 40% transparency over the picture of the scooter. I'm more telling you this because I would love to see what it would look like. :D

Instead of printing out the 114 pages you can print out a small version and project 'em using one of these:

10159051_u-jpg.jpg

(edited to remove ginormus pic of atrograph projector)

Attachments

• 10159051_u.jpg
    10159051_u.jpg
    660.7 KB · Views: 432
  • 10159051_u.jpg
    10159051_u.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
UPDATE!! Hopefully this gives you a good idea on size and over all look there PerniciousDuke Main body is complete and I've started on the seat. I'm saving the wings for last as they will be the biggest pain and I still need to make them so they're detachable for easy transport and getting through doors if needed. Another thing is I've decided instead of buying replacement lead-acid batteries I'll be making my own lithium-ion battery for the scooter. And yes, before you ask I have done a ton of research on making a lithium-ion battery, and I have a degree in electrical engineering. Still more research is being done before I venture into that task, but it will be 500% better than lead-acid batteries.
24313414_2072481172765702_7304237687379300237_o.jpg

Looking good! That's a lot of foam!

I wonder how cutting the corners on those sharp edges would affect the pattern... just remembered I have my own little electric scooter (just needs a new front bearing) and a stock of cardboard so I might eventually try it myself...

Awesome! It is taking shape now. When I saw it on Facebook I was wondering what it was with out and captions

fantastic work!!!
how often do you need to sharpen your craft blade cutting that amount of foam?
I usually just buy a couple packs of Exacto blades and toss them when they don't cut good anymore. A little expensive yes, but I usually get about 50 pieces cut out per blade. Plus I have a hot knife I use for angled cuts and more rounded patterns.

I usually just buy a couple packs of Exacto blades and toss them when they don't cut good anymore. A little expensive yes, but I usually get about 50 pieces cut out per blade. Plus I have a hot knife I use for angled cuts and more rounded patterns.

If your going to do that then you might as well invest in a sharpening stone or some other sharpening tool from your nearest hardware store. They are relatively inexpensive and will allow an exacto blade or a box cutter to last a lot longer.

I would not go w/ a sharpening stone.........Best to use a standard kitchen knife sharpener. A stone works best on larger blades but for these precision blades like an exact-o..... not so good. You will never get the edge you need.

I would not go w/ a sharpening stone.........Best to use a standard kitchen knife sharpener. A stone works best on larger blades but for these precision blades like an exact-o..... not so good. You will never get the edge you need.

True facts about using a steel. If you really want to get your mileage from your blades that's probably the best route. I use 9mm OLFA snap-off blades almost exclusively and they're like $2 for a pack of 10 for the nice ones, 20 if you're okay with garbage tier. Either way they're made to be used, abused and then tossed. Not having to sharpen a blade gives consistency and you can feel the wear level as it drags though the foam, I don't trust myself to get the exact same angle sharpened onto a blade so that it gives that same feeling when cutting.

Benton188, what kind of hot knife blade do you use when cutting foam? I've never had much luck with EVA cutting using a hot knife and have just given up on using it in general, the problem could definitely be the blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back