UK Newb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi and welcome to the 405th. There is a lot of information around, but I'd suggest you start by:

Watching this orientation vido:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/15735-New-Recruit-Orientation-Video

Reading this complete Noob list:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/14613-Complete-Noob-List

Reading this on how to use Pepakura to create the paper models:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/1034-Tutorial-How-to-use-Pepakura-to-make-your-Mjolnir-Armor

Reading this on some of the forum's best practices:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/27746-ATTENTION-NEW-(and-existing)-MEMBERS!-READ-THIS-NOW-PLEASE!

That's a start only. There is lots more reading required! Have fun learning!

The reading is continuous :)

But don't forget that at some point you will know enough to get started. Many of your questions will best be answered by actually building.

If you are a complete neophyte to using fibreglass, auto-body filler, etc, (as I was) I'd recommend starting with a straightforward project. Anything too complicated could be discouraging. A Mk V costume (MOZ's pep files are outstanding beginner pieces IMHO) or a low-def Mk VI (see the build in my signature block for an example). These are realistic beginner costumes for a NOOB and can be built in a reasonable amount of time.

But, in the end, choose a project and a plan that suits your skills, desired product and most importantly, will provide fun and a feeling of accomplishment.

All of which is my $0.02, and worth exactly that :)

But don't forget that at some point you will know enough to get started. Many of your questions will best be answered by actually building.

I totally agree :)

But I would suggest to start with whatever costume you came here to build right away, doing something else just to learn can be counter-productive in terms of motivation. Most costumes have small and/or easy parts (my favourite example: Hand plates) that are quick and easy to build, do experiments on and not a big loss if you mess up or things don't work as planned. If you're a quick study, you can learn as you progress from easy to hard pieces within your project.

Roadkiller, I read fast but it will take me some time to catch up, thanks for the links to info, very handy. I have some auto body shop experience, filler and fibreglass are not complete strangers though it has been 20 odd years lol.

I went and downloaded a Reach Noble Six helmet pdo (looks sweet) and have just started hot gluing it together (and to my big cack handed fingers). I figure if I can handle that, I should be ok? I have since learnt the hard way and had it confirmed by the links you posted that the card I 3M spray mounted the paper too is 'a bit heavy duty' but as Im stubborn, its going together anyway. Less fibreglass!

I guess it will take some time to complete a suit with my workload and lifestyle but I'm not in a crazy rush. As for other parts required to complete a suit of armour, I'm just going to build what catches my eye rather than an screen/sprite replica. At least I'm not after a halloween costume ;-)

Ventrue, I'm a fairly quick study, Reacj Noble Six helmet already underway ;-)

Thankyou both for taking the time to point what must be another 'noob' in the right direction.

I have since learnt the hard way and had it confirmed by the links you posted that the card I 3M spray mounted the paper too is 'a bit heavy duty' but as Im stubborn, its going together anyway. Less fibreglass!

I had similar "problems". But now that I've done some pepping with lighter cardboard, I'm actually thinking about going back to the heavier kind. I wasn't lying when I wrote in my project's thread that it's a pain to pep with, but that thinner stuff on the other hand produces really flimsy models.

Thanks Night Fury.

Pics will need a host somewhere, any suggestions?
'Pepping' like I never did before (because I havent!) and when it is all one lump, pics will be up. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back