VP Hydra's Custom Reach Armour

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by VP Hydra, Feb 8, 2019.

1. VP Hydra

VP Hydra New Member

So after being a lurker here on the 405th for a while i decided to start of set of armour after getting jealous of everyone else's amazing armour. Late last year i made a set of the DFT odst set for a local con and made it in 3 weeks, with a rushed job like that it didn't come out great but i still loved wearing it. So that's why i want to go bigger this year.

I Started with the chest piece and this is where i learned real quick how much harder this is then the odst. For starters i cant seem to bevel at all but that's something ill have to practice and practice a lot. So this is what I have made so far almost kinda embarrassed to post this picture but i feel ill need to be honest and show you what I done if I want to get any feedback.

I hope i can improve and eventually build a full suit but yeah here's to the start of learning how to do that. :) 20190208_195810.jpg

2. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO & BCO 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

This is a solid start to a Spartan build. My one recommendation that's based on guesswork from seeing a few clues but I'd say pick up a steel ruler to help with your cuts. There's a few points that look like you had a stutter and corrected your angle. Getting nice parallel lines and straight edges that match up cleanly to the other foam pieces are the key to a professional looking build and having a ruler to guide your cuts makes everything so much easier.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more progress pictures!

3. VP Hydra

VP Hydra New Member

Yeah you are dead right on the stuttering I will pick up a steel ruler tomorrow thank you for the recommendation :)

4. VP Hydra

VP Hydra New Member

Hey guys so due to being very busy the last week with coding competitions and assignments due I haven't got much work done only did a small bit on the chest piece and did some sample paint pieces and that has left me with some questions.

Both of these pieces have been heated and then given 2 coats of 50/50 water and PVA glue and then a coat of just PVA glue. The piece on the right has 3 layers of paint and the one on the left 1 layer. my problem is the paint not filling in all the gaps and leaving streak marks. Iv'e tried a few paint brushes and wetting the paint but there still seems to be some slight gaps do i just have to keep putting on more layers of paint?

paint.jpg

Also here's the updated chest piece not much done but I was wondering whats the best thing to use to fill in gaps on a budget?

chest.jpg

I have a day off tomorrow so going to start working on the back piece
    Thanks for reading :)

Sean Anwalt likes this.
  5. NEMES1S

NEMES1S Member

i started out the same way, lurker for a long time and then got myself into gear. how thick are you painting on the layers of pva? maybe try more thinner layers

VP Hydra likes this.
  6. Dirtdives

Dirtdives RXO & Keeper of Con Lists 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

You could try foam putty for the gaps and filler. I would do 3 layers of 50/50, check for bumps and sand where needed. As far as painting goes, I would spray an undercoat first before painting your primary color. That might help prevent the gaps in the paint .....might. The under coat creates a better surface for the overcoat layers of paint.

VP Hydra likes this.
  7. VP Hydra

VP Hydra New Member

I'm going to set up another test piece and do as you said. Thanks for the advice i'll it you know how it turns out

Dirtdives likes this.
  8. VP Hydra

VP Hydra New Member

So a bit more work was done over the past 2 days i did some work on the back and then joined the pieces together. I still have a lot to do on the sides but I'm happy with my progress even though I already see room for improvement ill post pics below.

back.jpg

side.jpg

Sean Anwalt likes this.
  9. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

Looking good, man. Maybe a little seam touch up, but it's looking solid.

The back vents at the bottom look cool, but the second one up is a little crooked.

I like how it's looking, though! Good job.

xXDashIVXx and VP Hydra like this.
  10. VP Hydra

VP Hydra New Member

After reading this comment i went and looked at the armour and you're right the vent is crooked. Yeah don't know how i missed that must have knocked it when it was drying so thanks for that and it will be fixed.
    Also the seams i agree need a bit more then a little touch up and i bought stuff today to do that with but thank you for the feedback i really appreciate it :)

Sean Anwalt likes this.