Warthog Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan 129

Jr Member
Hey, just wanted to get this out there: I don't know if it will get anywhere, but I am trying to get permission from microsoft to have a warthog built by Weta workshops, who I have talked to. Problem is, it will cost roughly $400,000. Anyway, I am 18 so I don't have loads of money, but I kind of am considering this my project, and want your thoughts on the matter. I was hoping the 405th could come up with some ideas, (ie other warthog projects)because I don't have a job, and the Weta rep said they would do it if I could get written permission and funds. Mod's, lock this if you want, I don't have pics etc, but wanted to get this into the 405th system. I would be happy to share!

you could make a decent one for a fraction of the cost, just check out the other warthog project threads, or maybe (if you get microsoft's permission), ask weta how much it costs for a warthog without the turret (because you don't want to get pulled over by the police for a giant chaingun in the back of your car)

400K ? Um yeah there are other businesses out there that could do a better job at the fraction of the cost. Their warthog really wasn't that great, it ran on a standard truck chassis and was far from being game suspension accurate.

To be most accurate a warthog would probably be electric, I believe in game they are not combustion driven.

Mr.Sci-Fi said:
400K ? Um yeah there are other businesses out there that could do a better job at the fraction of the cost. Their warthog really wasn't that great, it ran on a standard truck chassis and was far from being game suspension accurate.

To be most accurate a warthog would probably be electric, I believe in game they are not combustion driven.

yeah, it sounded electric in landfall. (and i second this, the only good things were the interior details and 4 wheel steering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great! tell me who else does it then! Yes, I dont think a chaingun will go over real well... especially in CA. Like I said though, I am 18, so I don't have massive amounts of money, SO, if either one of you knows someone who is willing to work something out for me I'm all ears. And yes,I have looked at some others, and no, I am not building my own. yes, it is a little expensive, I have yet to get permission, and when/if I do, I have yet to hash out the details with Weta.

There was one guy on 405th who is currently making one. I don't remember the link but look it up and see how he did it. Hes in the UK btw

There was a company in CA that was making really cool *Military* offroad trucks, but not our military was not buying them. Some of them looked like a Warthog. They could go just about anywhere.

Wish I remember the company name. Guess this was a wasted post, but someone might know what company.

SpartanW27 said:
There was one guy on 405th who is currently making one. I don't remember the link but look it up and see how he did it. Hes in the UK btw

Yeah im planning on making one as soon as I get the money. Ive estimated that its going to cost about 15 grand including the skyline engine I wrecked a few weeks ago.

Acid_fiend said:
Yeah im planning on making one as soon as I get the money. Ive estimated that its going to cost about 15 grand including the skyline engine I wrecked a few weeks ago.

yes, I saw yours, we should talk sometime... thing is, I dont have money. or a job. lol

For the rest: IF ANYONE HAS IDEAS ON WHETHER THE 405th WANTS TO SUPPORT THIS, PLEASE POST, AND YES, THAT INCLUDES ALTERNATIVE WAYS FOR ME TO WORK OUT A DEAL WITH SOMEONE WILLING TO PART WITH A HOG. please, please, please, don't post only to say weta sucks, and I am not hinting at anything. I really want a hog, and thought the 405th would be interested in this idea to get at least one from weta, hopfully at less than the price of my house...

thanks, Spartan 129

Spartan 129 said:
yes, I saw yours, we should talk sometime... thing is, I dont have money. or a job. lol

For the rest: IF ANYONE HAS IDEAS ON WHETHER THE 405th WANTS TO SUPPORT THIS, PLEASE POST, AND YES, THAT INCLUDES ALTERNATIVE WAYS FOR ME TO WORK OUT A DEAL WITH SOMEONE WILLING TO PART WITH A HOG. please, please, please, don't post only to say weta sucks, and I am not hinting at anything. I really want a hog, and thought the 405th would be interested in this idea to get at least one from weta, hopfully at less than the price of my house...

thanks, Spartan 129

Well if you want to make one yourself you can buy cheap engines from other countries. For example japan defaults their cars at like 80 000km's so you can buy them cheap, I was thinking about getting a 4x4 engine and using that and making the hog a 4 wheel drive.

Spartan 129 said:

thanks, Spartan 129

um, you make it sound like the 405th is some large company that is rich and owns an army of warthogs for their members... and for the 405th supporting this, the 405th supports everything we do (as long as it's feasible).

I don't think you realize how much of a waste of money that would be. What would you do besides photo work with it? Would you loan it out to people every now and then? It would just be another thing someone wanted that they didn't need.

If you truly want one, I suggest building your own instead. It's less costly, and you feel like you earned it once it's finished.

Send the money to your local charity, or buy toys and clothes for an orphanage instead.

Agreeing with Nugget on this one, buying a Warthog from WETA would be a complete waste of time and resources, and making your own would not only devour your cash, but be completely useless by comparison to a regular car.

Waste your money if you want, but very few people, if any, end up finishing a project that uses up so many resources and so much time.

Outlawwolf117, Nugget, and ImaGonaGetYou: No, I do not think the 405th is "Halo Presents Inc.," I was just asking what the 405 at large had to say about possibly helping me in this, or recomending me to some one who will. like I said, I don't have loads of cash, I have no custom auto skills to build my own, and I really don't want to drop half a million$ on a CAR. So, since I cannot build a hog, I must be content with buying one or finding someone who lives in my area who I can work with. If I could find such a person who will either buy or work out a deal cheaper than weta I would switch from them in an instant!

Spartan 129 said:
Outlawwolf117, Nugget, and ImaGonaGetYou: No, I do not think the 405th is "Halo Presents Inc.," I was just asking what the 405 at large had to say about possibly helping me in this, or recomending me to some one who will. like I said, I don't have loads of cash, I have no custom auto skills to build my own, and I really don't want to drop half a million$ on a CAR. So, since I cannot build a hog, I must be content with buying one or finding someone who lives in my area who I can work with. If I could find such a person who will either buy or work out a deal cheaper than weta I would switch from them in an instant!

well, not to be a jerk, but i think you're at a loss. i'm pretty sure weta is the only place you'll find a warthog for sale..... sorry

I have been gone for quite a while, so I hope this is not necro-posting or whatever. So, I ditched weta, obviously, and my friend who owns a body shop has offered to remodel a truck or other vehicle for me. Now, I was wondering if people who build warthogs or are genuinely interested in helping me would be so very kind to post their thoughts/help for me. I really have no clue what I should get in terms of scale etc, so if any one who has ideas on relatively cheap companies/parts to buy from would post a nice list for me, I would be very grateful. Another thing, he only has his shop until august, so moving ahead would be very nice. Btw, operation chastity has a very nice one, if any of them want to give me tips I am all ears! XD.

Note: this is conceptual at this point, so it is kind of my personal help manual/poll-- ie I don't have pictures. Also, please don't post only to rag on me, and to the mods, if this is to old go ahead and lock it or send me a PM or whatever...

thanks, Spartan 129

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back