Warzone Firefight Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinPhil

Hey guys, as the title states, this is the place to discuss the new firefight. I'm going to keep this relatively short on my end? As in typing on my phone, but I'd love to hear your opinions as well!

So I played my first few rounds last night (I say a few... It was probably 8 or 10 haha), and here are my first impressions. Straight up, it is not the Odst/reach firefight we came to know and love, which disappoints me greatly. After a bit of thinking, I realized it is because I used to always play firefight if I was feeling like having a fun game, where I didn't have to get too competitive. I knew where the enemy would spawn, I could rock out with a jet pack and rocket launcher, and have a fun, brainless match destroying covenant.

On to the new firefight, though! I'll do my very best not too sound too bitter about it not being the same as classic firefight.

The new maps are pretty cool. They are quite large, and the only addition I think should be added are arrows in your hud to show where new enemies are spawning... It's annoying to be running around a huge map just trying to find the enemy, then realizing you are in the completely opposite corner of where the fighting is going on. I understand that the spawns will likely become predictable, but for the casual player, that doesn't really help.

I also really like the objective rounds, which require protecting a point on the map. My only gripe about this is that we should be given more time to get to the defending point before the enemy spawn, sometimes taking as much of a third of the capture before we can even get into the base.

The req system does need some work. When the second round involves taking out 4+ banshees, but everyone is still equipped with ar's and magnums with no access to heavy weapons, it's not a very fun time.

The respawn times are also ridiculous. When I'm spending 30 seconds per death in the final round, when all of the enemies can kill with one to two shots on me, I can't say it's very enjoyable. There are also far too many high level minions in around the bosses at most given times. I'm supposed to be trying to kill a boss, but when it takes literally all of my ammo to take down a legendary knight, and then a couple more spawn, it completely takes away any fun aspect of the game. I know this makes teams work together, but it doesn't add to the enjoyment factor at all.

I would really like all of the enemies to be nerf'd to the point of being legendary as per the campaign difficulty. Even in normal warzone, I hate the bullet sponge ai's that are thrown against the players. I don't find it enjoyable to have to use full ammo from a req'd rocket launcher to take out one enemy that would only take 1-2 rounds to kill in campaign.

Overall the new warzone isn't bad, but it definitely needs some work to bring up the fun factor.

So I played my first few rounds last night (I say a few... It was probably 8 or 10 haha), and here are my first impressions. Straight up, it is not the Odst/reach firefight we came to know and love, which disappoints me greatly. After a bit of thinking, I realized it is because I used to always play firefight if I was feeling like having a fun game, where I didn't have to get too competitive. I knew where the enemy would spawn, I could rock out with a jet pack and rocket launcher, and have a fun, brainless match destroying covenant.

Well, sorry to say that, but it was already known it won't be the classic Firefight when they teased us months ago, then in April the Beta came out it was confirmed.
It isn't just Firefight, it's WARZONE Firefight, there is the difference.

The new maps are pretty cool. They are quite large, and the only addition I think should be added are arrows in your hud to show where new enemies are spawning... It's annoying to be running around a huge map just trying to find the enemy, then realizing you are in the completely opposite corner of where the fighting is going on. I understand that the spawns will likely become predictable, but for the casual player, that doesn't really help.

The rounds and objectives will never become predicable because they are very random. Just after playing about 100 games you can learn about each objective on each map and then learn the spawns, but it's hard to learn if you have so many maps and so many different objectives on every round.

I also really like the objective rounds, which require protecting a point on the map. My only gripe about this is that we should be given more time to get to the defending point before the enemy spawn, sometimes taking as much of a third of the capture before we can even get into the base.

Damn, you like the "defend the core" rounds? X_X While the defend the base/garage objectives are do-able, the cores, especially the ones in the open are over 75% failures, because there are so many enemies, players are dying all the time that you don't even get to get to the core to defend it...

The req system does need some work. When the second round involves taking out 4+ banshees, but everyone is still equipped with ar's and magnums with no access to heavy weapons, it's not a very fun time.

Hm? The 4 banshees/phaetons are mainly round 2-4. After 1st round is complete you're REQ level 2-3 - at REQ level 3 you already have unlocked the BRs and many power weapons and vehicles. After 2nd round you're REQ level 4-5 - then you have the armor mods complete and powerful weapons and vehicles.

The respawn times are also ridiculous. When I'm spending 30 seconds per death in the final round, when all of the enemies can kill with one to two shots on me, I can't say it's very enjoyable. There are also far too many high level minions in around the bosses at most given times. I'm supposed to be trying to kill a boss, but when it takes literally all of my ammo to take down a legendary knight, and then a couple more spawn, it completely takes away any fun aspect of the game. I know this makes teams work together, but it doesn't add to the enjoyment factor at all.

I agree here. Spawn times are ridiculous. 30seconds on the final round is too much.
During and after beta people were complaining that it was too easy - where it was about 50% win/defeat, so that's why 343i changed it. During beta you always had the standard Warzone respawn and the standard WZ Assault round time - 6:00 minutes.
Now, they shortened the round times to 4:30 and made the respawn times a lot longer - even if you don't die in round 2 you'll still have longer respawn time and so on.
I bet they'll change it in the future.
There was too often where we needed 1-5 seconds for that last boss - even when the timer hit 0:00 in the last round, we killed that last boss in that every second and it counted as DEFEAT.

I would really like all of the enemies to be nerf'd to the point of being legendary as per the campaign difficulty. Even in normal warzone, I hate the bullet sponge ai's that are thrown against the players. I don't find it enjoyable to have to use full ammo from a req'd rocket launcher to take out one enemy that would only take 1-2 rounds to kill in campaign.

You're wrong. The difficulty isn't legendary but HEROIC. Yeah, it's heroic only.
I can't imagine what it would become if they changed it to legendary now... Spartan massacre.

Overall the new warzone isn't bad, but it definitely needs some work to bring up the fun factor.

They will definitely re-balance some things in the future.

---

As for my thoughts - Warzone Firefight is SICK! I've played over 70 Warzone Assault matches so far. Yes, over 70 according to my history at Waypoint. Out of it, about 17 victories only. Less than 20.
I'm mostly on top of the list being 1st, but I'm not blaming anyone. I've mostly been playing with 2-4 friends as well.

Warzone Firefight is just hard. Harder than campaign, because there are many more enemies at the same time.
I've played through campaign more than few times and I don't ever recall seeing 6+ promethean knights/marshals, dozen of promethean soldiers (many with turrets) and many crawlers.

With the changes from the beta they made the game harder. Now the rounds are shorter an suddenly we have the increasing respawn timer - even if we survived the whole 2 first rounds we're still "punished".
I think they should have left the 6:00mins per round and the respawn timer... well, I liked that it was always 7 seconds because you were back at the battlefield to help your teammates. If they wanted to have us punished for dying - I think the respawn timer could be increased up to 15 seconds in the final round, BUT NOT BOTH. It isn't fun to have the final round so short with so long respawn times and you just died and have to wait over 30 seconds, looking how your teammates are trying to stay alive and kill things.

Also, while the difficulty is heroic, yes it's heroic, not legendary - I was playing same day campaign on legendary with few friends and when we moved to warzone firefight, the difference was big, the enemies still have pin-point accuracy and well, they can get killed - headshots + weakspots are your friend, however... The enemies, especially the promethean knights, marshals and hunters deal too much damage to the vehicles. You can spawn a wraith and you won't even get out of the base because you'll get blown up by two or three sniped shots by these pests. OR spawned a rocket hog - LITERALLY one shot'd by either the incineration cannon or the hunter, don't remember anymore.
However it's just hard because the bigger enemies are way to resistant and deal too much damage.

Because of all that - you're end up spawning vehicles A LOT MORE OFTEN than any other weapons, because you're safer in the vehicle and you will deal A LOT MORE damage in them than if you just spawn a weapon with a limited ammo - with a vehicle you could kill even all bosses if you survive, with the one weapon - maybe 1.

However, the Grunt Goblin is the literally best thing! I'm always laughing SO DAMN HARD when it spawns... The dialogue is just GOLD. But damn, that thing is really hard to kill and it can kill you so easy. The ultimative revenge of the grunts, haha.
AND the new map on Sanghelios! It's so pretty <3

Sure, the Warzone Firefight needs some re-balance, but it's very fun and since it came out I didn't really play anything else...

Great thoughts! I agree with most of what you said. I'm also a huge fan of ODST firefight. While WFF is not the same firefight we have come to know and love, WFF is a different type of firefight. Instead of surviving, you fight through a limited amount of rounds (with certain rounds being almost unbeatable).

I actually don't mind finding where the enemies are. Most of the time when a round consists of killing grunts/soldiers/elites (splatter friendly) I spawn a scout warthog or ghost and mow them down. If I can't find the enemy, I look to see where my teammates are shooting/dying. That gives me a good ball park guess where the action is.

I'm not a fan of the round starting and you have to wait for the Mythic/Legendary bosses to show up. Instead of having 5 minutes to kill the bosses, you get around 4 minutes and 45 seconds. It's even worse when you have to wait for the bosses to spawn twice in one round. I would also like a heads up on what the next round will be. For example, during intermission, Palmer could already be giving us information on what the next round will be. I think it would be a cool idea if a boss is killed, a certain amount of time is given to the team to finish off the other bosses.

I don't have much problem defending a point. The only problem I have is defending a forerunner core. Defending them on Urban is such a nightmare especially on round 2 or 3. I have never been successful on those rounds.

The REQ system isn't perfect but I don't think the REQ system is to blame on some of the rounds. Some of the rounds need to be modified or moved up a round (I'm looking at you Apex Round 3 with 2 Warden Eternals). As long as the round gives a player the right REQ level to deal with a certain situation, then I'm fine with that. I need at least level 5 REQ's to be effective against vehicles and sometimes I'm only at level 4 REQ's by the time round 3 comes. Sometimes a Plasma Pistol doesn't cut it. Also, I'm going to have to take a break from WFF because it's drying up my stash of REQ's.

If I had a choice between fighting Covenant or Forerunner, I would choose Covenant any day. I feel like there is a weak spot with every enemy in the Covenant armada. Whereas the Forerunner's are sometimes a pain to deal with. I like what you said about them being bullet sponges. The Knight does have some weak areas and the crawlers are a one shot so I don't mind that. What really irks me are the soldiers. Talk about bullet sponges. I find it annoying that they only have one weakness, splatter them. That's it. Unless I'm not missing their weakness, they are an absolute pain to deal with. Covenant on the other hand are fun to fight against. Each enemy requires a different method to kill which varies the gameplay (unless you have a tank. Tanks beat everything :)).

It's also difficult to play with randoms. Having at least one other teammate to communicate with really helps. I've seen some teammates during Round 5 still using their BR/DMR, shooting the bosses from a distance. I just shake my head and move on, hoping we win that round. WFF does put a disadvantage to newer players who may not have access to good REQ's though.

Everything else, I'm fine with. I usually spawn a wraith, scorpion, or ghost in the later rounds and usually win. I still enjoy WFF but like what you said Phil, it does need some work.

Having just picked up Halo 5 about a week ago, I can't claim much experience with most of it. But WFF, however, has been my jam. I don't like the spawn timer's increments, but I do like the idea, and a little head-up for where mobs are and what is coming up soon in-match would be an awesome addition.

Like Frozensnot mentioned, it's a very difficult game mode when you're literally just starting a new account in the game. That said, even with the complaints that I do have its been fun more often than not, which isn't something I can personally say of what Ive played of the rest of the game... Maybe I just need a group of people to play with though.

Having just picked up Halo 5 about a week ago, I can't claim much experience with most of it. But WFF, however, has been my jam. I don't like the spawn timer's increments, but I do like the idea, and a little head-up for where mobs are and what is coming up soon in-match would be an awesome addition.

Like Frozensnot mentioned, it's a very difficult game mode when you're literally just starting a new account in the game. That said, even with the complaints that I do have its been fun more often than not, which isn't something I can personally say of what Ive played of the rest of the game... Maybe I just need a group of people to play with though.

I imagine as a new player you can have problems with have a very limited REQ collection, right? :/
I've been playing Halo 5 way too much and my collection is fully unlocked and pretty full... but while I can never use any REQs in Warzone or Warzone Assault I can't imagine playing Warzone Firefight without using the REQs. :/

If you ever need anyone to play with, you can just add us, the 405th people to friendlist. ^^ I play almost daily and almost always with friends - mostly some local 405th members too haha. I've learned that Germans can be funny too, haha. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

don't have much problem defending a point. The only problem I have is defending a forerunner core. Defending them on Urban is such a nightmare especially on round 2 or 3. I have never been successful on those rounds

It's also difficult to play with randoms. Having at least one other teammate to communicate with really helps. I've seen some teammates during Round 5 still using their BR/DMR, shooting the bosses from a distance. I just shake my head and move on, hoping we win that round. WFF does put a disadvantage to newer players who may not have access to good REQ's though.

HELL NO! These rounds have like 5-10% of positive survival there. :/
Especially on Urban. x_X

Then call in some friends or 405th members! :D

I'm in love with the new firefight. It's hard, requires me to use my good REQs and rewards me more than any other mode.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I'm in love with the new firefight. It's hard, requires me to use my good REQs and rewards me more than any other mode.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

That feeling when you get a VICTORY screen... After all that sweat and hard fight. XD

It can truly be a pain, I have only basic standard weapons and a handful of power weapons... used up my best vehicles already too :p I mostly play Warframe or PC games anyway though, when I game at all anymore.

I've put in 78 games so far with a total of 10 wins. All games were played with randoms. After all that, Gold packs really need to be permanent for winning.

Those spawn times kill me. I end up just getting frustrated and fidgeting while I'm waiting to respawn because the final boss (or so we think) in some later round is almost dead and all but one or two people are waiting to respawn. I get that they wanted to make it hard and to really punish you for running into things blindly, but it's a little ridiculous how long those round 5 spawn times are. One good thing, I'm finally using my random vehicle/weapon REQ cards.

That said, if anyone wants to hit me up for some Firefight, add me (GT: FallenPanhead). I try to play at least some everyday.

I really like Halo 5's Firefight, but I feel like that's only out of necessity. Like the net-code and tick-rate of Arena is such trash that, by comparison, Firefight is a breath of fresh air. I like being able to use my REQs in Firefight as it's finally giving us a reason to keep our lower level REQ cards, but as OP stated, some rounds can come in at the most inopportune times. Also, some of the rounds are just straight garbage. I consider myself a pretty good Halo player, and I like a challenge, but 343 needs to get it through their heads that the Prometheans are OP AF. I was playing a match on Apex 7 the other day when the new Grunt Goblin was spawned in for round 4... totally fine and reasonable. The team navigates to the boss to find him surrounded by no less than 8 Knights... Okay, that's a bit of a challenge, but not unreasonable. The knights start dropping Spartans with 1-shot after 1-shot. Bit of a hurdle, but still doable. Let's just clear the knights so we can focus the boss. We whittle them down to 2 knights and we start to focus the Goblin while a few of us continue taking out the Knights. Boom, 8 more warp in and trash the entire team. Most of us have called in high level vehicles to deal with the boss, but those are toast after suffering a barrage of Incinerator Cannon fire. We rinse-repeated this 2 more times. We had to have killed over 20 Knights easy, but because the "adds" were more powerful than the Boss itself, the round was over before we could even get the Goblin down to 1/2 HP. A lot of the losses I've seen in Firefight have been lack of coordination and poor REQ management, but there have been too many times where good practices of both don't matter either. This is all pretty nitpicky, as I still think firefight is the best multiplayer aspect of the game at the moment. But I think there are some clear balance issues that need to be addressed. And I agree, it'll be sad to see those Gold packs go. They definitely feel like a worthwhile reward after some of the Hell WFF puts you through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back