What are your priorities in a game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioactiveMicrobe

Title pretty much says it all. What is most important to you in a video game?

Mine is:
Plot > Gameplay> Online > Audio > Graphics

Plot and gameplay is prety close for me. If a game has an awesome plot, but shoddy gameplay, I will most likely only rent it. On ther other Hand, if a game is comepletely awesome, but the story is weak, I might only rent it.

I like games that have a good plot to tell me WHY I'm shooting all these people or something.

The plot would need to be REALLY good to outset the gameplay for me, same for vice versa. (ie. Timeplitters)

Title pretty much says it all. What is most important to you in a video game?

Mine is:
Plot > Gameplay> Online > Audio > Graphics

Plot and gameplay is prety close for me. If a game has an awesome plot, but shoddy gameplay, I will most likely only rent it. On ther other Hand, if a game is comepletely awesome, but the story is weak, I might only rent it.

I like games that have a good plot to tell me WHY I'm shooting all these people or something.

The plot would need to be REALLY good to outset the gameplay for me, same for vice versa. (ie. Timeplitters)

I agree.

Mine would be:

Plot > Gameplay > Character Design > Graphics > Audio > Online

I don't really play much online since I don't have Live, and sometimes I want to play video games to get away from people.

Plot > Gameplay > Character Design > Graphics > Audio > Online
That would be mine too, my main slogan has always been "Kill or be killed"

Plot > Gameplay > Engine Capabilities > Online > Graphics - Character Design (Gotta have both) > Audio

If the engine can't produce good physics and various other graphical and gameplay effects (like AI, for example), it's not on my buy list. Note that gameplay can still be fun with a screwy physics engine. (Note: any game prior to 2006)

Gameplay > Character Design > Graphics > Plot > Audio > Online
I'm weird but the plot doesn't always matter that much to me. I mean The Force Unleashed had such a screwed up plot for most people who like things to fit just so in the universe but the gameplay made the game so fun that I couldn't put it down.

Arkham Asylum was the same way, the plot wasn't superb but it was such a well put together game that it was awesome. I am not that much of a social butterfly so Online doesn't make that big of a difference to me.

Weird, I thought this would be easier, but the most important aspect of a game for me is something I can't really define. Recently I made a list of my favorite games, the ones that I felt a real "connection" with, and thinking about those, I can't really pick out the specific elements that you've come up with... Shadow of the Colossus, Flower, Portal, the Zelda and Metroid series', Bioshock, Half-Life... As much as I like the Halo series, I don't know that I'd put it in the same category. In all of the above cases, there's a "feeling" associated with the game that doesn't can't be shoehorned into these categories. Oh, what's the word?!?! It's driving me crazy! "Ambiance" or "atmosphere," perhaps? Since I don't know what, let's just say "je ne sais quoi." Or ambiance... I like that better. At any rate, I think it might go...

Ambiance > Story/Plot > Characters > Gameplay

Everything else doesn't have to be good, necessarily, it just has to not detract from the rest of the experience.

Oh, and I will NOT play online... People are jerks.

Here's how it goes.

Gameplay(this includes online and more often than not plot, some games can surpass that on special occasions like TF2 or Rez)----------> Audio(HAS to be good. Sometimes it can bring a game down 'see mafia II'. Sometimes it can make up for "meh" visuals 'BF:BC2')----------> Graphics (not just technical stuff, design too. It's more important than people give it credit for. It can make or break the gameplay experience. In crysis it kinda broke it because brown guns blend into brown dirt. Making it damn near imposable to find ammo in a jungle.)

Weird, I thought this would be easier, but the most important aspect of a game for me is something I can't really define. Recently I made a list of my favorite games, the ones that I felt a real "connection" with, and thinking about those, I can't really pick out the specific elements that you've come up with... Shadow of the Colossus, Flower, Portal, the Zelda and Metroid series', Bioshock, Half-Life... As much as I like the Halo series, I don't know that I'd put it in the same category. In all of the above cases, there's a "feeling" associated with the game that doesn't can't be shoehorned into these categories. Oh, what's the word?!?! It's driving me crazy! "Ambiance" or "atmosphere," perhaps? Since I don't know what, let's just say "je ne sais quoi." Or ambiance... I like that better. At any rate, I think it might go...

Ambiance > Story/Plot > Characters > Gameplay

The whole "feeling" of a game is a result of the Plot/Gameplay/Design. Bioshock without the commentary on the free market and 1930's aesthetic would have been pathetic. As a 3rd person shooter or a turn-based RPG it would also have been forgettable.

Portal without Glados would have been interesting but with no character.

SotC without the brilliant camera work would have been frustrating and less than epic.

Since atmosphere is mostly design aesthetic and I agree it's what separates the wheat from the chaff I say Design, Gameplay, Plot, Graphics, Audio, Online.

Take RE 4 for example. Briliant design or atmosphere, solid gameplay, mediocre plot, good graphics, wonderful and interesting audio (if you know spanish), no online. And it's in my Top 10 games.

Plot > Character Design > Gameplay > Graphics > Audio > Online

Ive never been a big online game player, Ive always found myself becoming immerged into the storyline of single player games, Its hard for me to become really interested in a game if the character(s) in the game dont feel like there is some kind of connect between the character and player, makes it kinda tough to play a game for long periods of time when you arent connected. Great games I feel that have great character connect are borderlands and the halo series.

Plot=Gameplay>Graphics>Online>Audio
plot and gameplay are the same just because there are those games like little big planet it doesnt really have much of a plot but amazing gameplay but like games like halo it has both but still some games have awesome plots and crapy gameplay but some have awesome gameplay but a crapy plot r u picking up what i am putting down?

im suprised that no body has brought up replay value as something they look for in a videogame...
i always felt that is always a big part in enjoying a good game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back