What size 3d printer to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddo2025

It's my first time seriously getting into building my own spartan, and I'm wondering on what size 3d printer I'd need for armor for my 5'6 self. Can someone do the math and let me know? Thanks

There are a lot of options for printers tbh. You can print a whole spartan armor set on an ender 3 but you'd have to cut the models up more to fit your build plate. No matter the size printer you get you're looking at cutting some pieces up. Especially the chest and thighs. Once you get some experience hiding the seams it doesn't really matter though.

I started with an ender 3v2 and bought a CR10 Pro v2 recently which lets me print things in less pieces. I still print off both. Currently my CR10 is printing half of a MkVI Helmet and my ender is printing the wrist armor.

Hope that information helps.

Just to parrot the above post, most inexpensive printers will require the different armor pieces to be cut up into more manageable bits. Ender 3s get a lot of love and for good reason. Compared to an Ender-5 (the printer I have which is also fantastic) the base Ender-3 is close to half the price and the print volume is only 5cm less on the vertical axis. Being 5 foot 6 myself I only managed to print the forearms, biceps and boot parts without cutting them up. My MK6 helmet could have been done in one part but I cut it into 6 parts to save on support material. The thighs were 5 parts, shins were cut into 2 and the torso was 14. This is inevitable with cheap but quality printers. With almost a year and a half of printing, my Ender-5 ( I only upgraded the PTFE tube and added vibration dampeners on the motors, nothing fancy) has never failed due to mechanical or software issues. Only a few fails due to human error on my part. Parts for these are dirt cheap to replace or add/exchange if you decide to upgrade something on the printer. Meshmixer is super handy when it comes to cutting armor files up and it's free! Not terribly hard to use either.

It's my first time seriously getting into building my own spartan, and I'm wondering on what size 3d printer I'd need for armor for my 5'6 self. Can someone do the math and let me know? Thanks
I’m 5’11” and I print on a voxelab aquila bed size of 220mmx220mmx230mm. It comes down to how much glueing you want to do in the picture linked is a forearm printed in 2 pieces glued while the thighs are 7 pieces. I actually just ordered a second printer just so I could speed the build along a little. Amazon has deal on the ender 3 right now too. Good Luck.

Attachments

• 7F526DA5-3553-4CA1-B7D9-23636C41A435.jpeg
    7F526DA5-3553-4CA1-B7D9-23636C41A435.jpeg
    647.1 KB · Views: 205
  • 45FCC3B3-D3D0-4BDD-8CDD-86266583D65B.jpeg
    45FCC3B3-D3D0-4BDD-8CDD-86266583D65B.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 191
I think the print volume of an Ender-3 is generally a good starting size, and you can look at getting bigger from there. I have a CR-10s which has a pretty decent print volume (especially vertically). I've never printed armour on it, but I hardly need to push the limits with fitting stuff on there. What you may want to ask yourself is, are you prepared to dish out a bit more on a bigger printer to save time not having to slice and glue as many parts?

For adults, a drastic difference in body sizes between users wouldn't really equate to a drastic change in build plate requirements.

I think the print volume of an Ender-3 is generally a good starting size, and you can look at getting bigger from there. I have a CR-10s which has a pretty decent print volume (especially vertically). I've never printed armour on it, but I hardly need to push the limits with fitting stuff on there. What you may want to ask yourself is, are you prepared to dish out a bit more on a bigger printer to save time not having to slice and glue as many parts?

For adults, a drastic difference in body sizes between users wouldn't really equate to a drastic change in build plate requirements.
Might as well go for the CR10. bigger printer, but more expensive. Luckily I just turned 16 on the 5th and can get a job now

I would go with a Creality CR-10 S4 specifically. The s5 which has a larger print bed tends to have bed warping. The s4 will allow you to print helmets in whole pieces

This thread is a good reference to see what other members use, how they use them and get an idea of value based on price vs any issues people have had.

Now, about the s5, how frequently does the warping happen and why does it happen?
it's not the prints that warp. It's the print bed. I had glass warping multiple times. Just cause of the size of the panel and probably uneven heating because of that.

I prefer the Artillery Sidewinder series over CR-10 models because it has a direct drive extruder rather than a Bowden tube. This means you'll have shorter retractions and less stringing. It also has a Volcano-clone hotend so you can print faster.

Look into the CR-10 Smart Pro. It has a 300x300 bed size which will be perfect size build plate for most of the armor you'll have to print. It has some great features and I myself am even considering investing in one to use for my shop. Also, welcome aboard!

I know this is a little late for this thread but I have 2 printers and started on the Ender 3 Pro, then moved to the Ender CR-6 Max. The ender 3 Pro was nice to start and learn on but the Ender CR-6 Max made it much easier because of its large build size(400x400x400). They both put out good quality but having to print armor in pieces got tiresome.

5 9 3/4 here, I used two printers, a Voxelab Aquila (200mm x 200mm x 250mm), and an Anycubic Chiron (400mm x 400mm x 450mm). I documented the build in another thread but, I printed all of my parts in one piece. This limited me in error and time of prep after print.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back