What weird Asian foods shall I (attempt to) eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kupokitty

My ship is heading to the Philippines, Malaysia, and other random eastern lands.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good food in that part of the world? I've already been to Malaysia twice (but that was a long time ago), so I know I do not want another durian...

I will try to eat anything and everything suggested in this thread (Except bugs. Ew.) because tasting different foods helps a person to experience a country's culture.

I'll post pictures of the food you guys want me to eat when I get a chance.

This should be interesting.

Not sure what qualifies as "weird".

You could try some chinese preserved eggs. I remember people trying to eat them on fear factor and gagging. It was hilarious considering I find them delicious.

And then there's Balut in the philippines. I've never eaten them, but my mom says they're good.

Here, for when you hit Malaysia.

-Otak Otak: Translate to "Brain Brain" but I can assure you, its not Zombie Food. Its Fish wrapped in leaves grilled to deliciousness.
-Karipap: Translate to Curry Puff. Its usually Potato, Sardine or other things wrapped in a dough and deep fried to cook. Its in the shape of a Semi-Circle
-Samosa: Like Karipap, usually Potato filling but with a different crust and its Triangle
-Roti Jala: Translate to Net Bread cuz it looks like a Net. Usually eaten sided with a Curry dip.
-Roti Boom: Translate to Boom Bread. Boom referring to the sound it makes when the chef makes it. It has to be thrown onto the Cooking grill which makes a "Boom" sound.
-Roti Canai: Translate to Flying Bread. Flying because of the way the chef makes it.
-Laksa: A MUST TRY!! I won't tell you much, just try it. You should look for Laksa Johor or Laksa Penang.

I would list down tonnes of em.....but....I got stuff to work on.

Here, for when you hit Malaysia.

-Otak Otak: Translate to "Brain Brain" but I can assure you, its not Zombie Food. Its Fish wrapped in leaves grilled to deliciousness.
-Karipap: Translate to Curry Puff. Its usually Potato, Sardine or other things wrapped in a dough and deep fried to cook. Its in the shape of a Semi-Circle
-Samosa: Like Karipap, usually Potato filling but with a different crust and its Triangle
-Roti Jala: Translate to Net Bread cuz it looks like a Net. Usually eaten sided with a Curry dip.
-Roti Boom: Translate to Boom Bread. Boom referring to the sound it makes when the chef makes it. It has to be thrown onto the Cooking grill which makes a "Boom" sound.
-Roti Canai: Translate to Flying Bread. Flying because of the way the chef makes it.
-Laksa: A MUST TRY!! I won't tell you much, just try it. You should look for Laksa Johor or Laksa Penang.

I would list down tonnes of em.....but....I got stuff to work on.

Do the street vendors sell that stuff or do I actually have to go to a restaurant? From what I remember, the restaurants like to overcharge Americans...

ok, in the Philippines, ask a street vendor for where you can get Adidas(not the shoes) adidas are chicken feet XD. but ask for balut. its duck egg and it tastes awsome. just dont look while you eat, you need to get used to it first XD then try chicken adobo its my favorite filipino food. if you plan to stay in Baguio, then get some ube jam and try it with some fresh pandisal. it tastes AMAZING. also, look out for some puto. its like ohio state buckeye candies in shape and color but they are like marshmallows. if you have time, go to chowking and eat what ever you like, and get some halo halo for desert.btw its not hay-lo its hah-lo :D
ok, what else,,,,.......oh, theres this little snack called polvoron and the best brand to get it from is from goldilocks. (my favorite flavor is pinipig) lol just be glad i remembered all of this XD i just came back from the philippines a month ago XD
oh, and if your on the street shopping, HAGGLE. IT ALWAYS WORKS. lmfao. but that might be cause i look young and homeless when i do it... :p

Huh. Chicken feet, eh? I had chicken feet soup (and bird's nest soup... o___O ) in Malaysia, so I won't be too weirded out by that.

Is balut a little blackened egg that tastes weird?

Also, I know how to haggle. My mom is Malaysian, and I've been to KL twice and seen how the haggling works. :p

Find the most disgusting looking food from the crappiest street vendor you can find, and eat it. :)
|: I hope that won't give me the runs. That would suck, since I'm only on land for a couple days at a time and have to eat nasty freezer-burned stuff on the ship...

In the Philippines, try some Toron. It's fried plaintain banana in eggroll wrap. Oh, and Diniguang (sorry, don't know how to spell it) It's pork in cooked pork blood :)

Fugu is the Japanese word for pufferfish and is a delicacy in Japan. It is highly dangerous because the skin and organs are poisonous.

Instead of going to the Philippines like we were supposed to, we skipped over it and pulled into Malaysia because of a stupid typhoon.

My relatives took my friend and I to eat some kind of cold, squishy bean-based dessert near Berjaya Times Square. I have pictures of it and will try to find an adapter or an American-style outlet so I can upload them tomorrow, when I'm off work.

Does anyone know of anything else I should try in Malaysia? I've already tried one of those tea eggs, but I forgot to get a picture. I'll try to get another one tomorrow.

From what I can see:
-Longan Drink
-Cendol
-A can of Cincau(Grass Jelly)
-Some Seafood
-Coconuts
-Rambutans

Just what I see. Oh yeah, if you're still in Malaysia, stay for a while at least until Saturday. We have an International Toy Fair at MidValley. Have a go at meeting red-109 and me!

From what I can see:
-Longan Drink
-Cendol
-A can of Cincau(Grass Jelly)
-Some Seafood
-Coconuts
-Rambutans

Just what I see. Oh yeah, if you're still in Malaysia, stay for a while at least until Saturday. We have an International Toy Fair at MidValley. Have a go at meeting red-109 and me!
I really did want to meet you guys, but my ship is pulling out today. ): I like that MidValley mall. The fleet buses kept dropping us off near the Pavilion, though. That one is boring and expensive.

I'm actually going to try to take leave after deployment and go back to KL and stay with either my uncle or my aunt for about a month...but that will only happen if I am not stupid and spend all my money.

I have a few more pictures of Malaysian food, but that will have to wait until I pull into Bahrain at the end of the month. I hope the internet there doesn't suck as bad as the Port Klang cruise terminal's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back