When All You Have Is A Hammer... 5/3 Final

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again everyone - I'll just keep thanking everyone over and over because without the 405th and it's wonderful sense of community for inspiration, it would never have gotten completed. You guys kept me going and looking at some of the truly awesome projects that are underway, I knew that I couldn't let this one go all sloppy on me... ;)

As far as weight goes - the prototype weighs in at a hefty 21 lbs. Bear in mind that this one is way overbuilt (double-sleeved PVC, all solid detail pieces) and the head cast was too thick/heavy. I have already shaved a few pounds off of the production pieces so they should come in at 15-17 lbs. (depending on how they are assembled). I'm afraid to go any lighter as I want these to be 'hammer strong" and quite frankly, there are just a lot of pieces/mass involved. This will never be a super-lightweight prop but I think the end result is worth it and it IS a Brute Weapon after all... :D

Thanks again...

23Magnum said:
This is extremely awesome work man. I don't see anyone doing it any better than that any time soon.

I agree... that is an awesome prop DogWizard. If you can loan it to a mod, he/she can really swing a Ban Hammer. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
DogWizard said:
IMG_0646.jpg

behold the Banhammer in all its Glory! let it smite all those who are not worthy in its Presence!!! :not worthy:

Stop quoting pictures, it makes the page unnecessarily long and harder to load. Have consideration next time.

ONTOPIC:

That's one nice build... I guess, if you wanted it to be a little lighter on the weight you could cast the outer shell in halves, then fix the two together and fill it with self-expanding foam to give it some rigidity. As you said, it'll never be an entirely lightweight build (appreciably so, since it is essentially a prop of a lump of metal on a stick), but there are ways to decrease the weight and still maintain integrity.

Crucible said:
That's one nice build... I guess, if you wanted it to be a little lighter on the weight you could cast the outer shell in halves, then fix the two together and fill it with self-expanding foam to give it some rigidity. As you said, it'll never be an entirely lightweight build (appreciably so, since it is essentially a prop of a lump of metal on a stick), but there are ways to decrease the weight and still maintain integrity.

Thanks!

I did consider using foam at one point but as odd as it sounds, the majority of weight is not the actual head itself. Because I wanted the blade to be essentially "free-floating" up top like the original, there needed to be some fairly substantial structure to support it. The blade certainly has some weight to it but at the same time, it's thin enough that to try and foam or hollow cast it would weaken it appreciably.

By drilling out the larger detail pieces on the production pieces, I managed to shave off a good few pounds without compromising the structural integrity. I think that this will just always be one of the heavier props - it's never going to be something that you can flip around like a broomstick. There are simply a lot of pieces and even the PVC starts to add up on this scale...

I may play with making a low-res "play" version at some point where all of the head details are moulded as a single unit in foam but that will require new moulds and I'm not ready to commit to that just yet - I'm also not really a low-res kind of guy... :D

I'm speechleszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz nice detail by the way its probally taller than me lol whats the hight on it

spartan 26 said:
I'm speechleszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz nice detail by the way its probally taller than me lol whats the hight on it

Thanks!
It's right at 74" end to end - not a small prop... :cool:

I forget to keep an eye on this thread and look what happens... Awesome happens!
The is one of the best scratch builds I've ever seen, VERY nice work Wizard!

Wow that is amazing, but I really want to see a Brute with that. And of course, can't wait to see it lit up, although I'm sure that will have to wait awhile. Great job.

your hammer looks wicked legit. very nice build. ill bet there would be people willing to buy it if you were willing to do a series of casts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back