which path should I take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1a11a1

ok so hi guys I'm new to this forum and also armor making. I've been watching alot of videos to learn how to make those peices of art, but I saw like 3 way to do them and I still don't know which one is the best.

The first one is the one with bondo, the second one is the one using some liquid plastic and the third one is using clay and a mould.

So plz guys it would be apreaciate to tell me the best options, also im looking for the lighter/stronger thx.

First off, welcome! Be sure to read up on the stickies. I would suggest, being your first set, going with resin, fiberglass, and bondo. If you really like doing it and are willing to spend a great deal of money, then maybe molding might be for you. Just my advice, but I can't stress enough, READ THE STICKIES. Glad to have you on the 405th, and I look forward to seeing anything you might make!

ok so hi guys I'm new to this forum and also armor making. I've been watching alot of videos to learn how to make those peices of art, but I saw like 3 way to do them and I still don't know which one is the best.

The first one is the one with bondo, the second one is the one using some liquid plastic and the third one is using clay and a mould.

So plz guys it would be apreaciate to tell me the best options, also im looking for the lighter/stronger thx.

The alternatives you have right from the start are rather Pepakura (i.e. paper), foam and clay (and a few more exotic ones, like scratchbuilding, CNCing and 3D printing). All those chemicals are only step number two, Bondo even step three (you probably mean Rondo, that can be step two).

Light and strong sounds like Pepakura and Fibreglass are the way for you, but you should really take some time to read up on on those materials, the other methods, safety and everything else associated with the hobby. This is a good palce to start: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30542-NOOB-reading-list

The alternatives you have right from the start are rather Pepakura (i.e. paper), foam and clay (and a few more exotic ones, like scratchbuilding, CNCing and 3D printing). All those chemicals are only step number two, Bondo even step three (you probably mean Rondo, that can be step two).

Light and strong sounds like Pepakura and Fibreglass are the way for you, but you should really take some time to read up on on those materials, the other methods, safety and everything else associated with the hobby. This is a good palce to start: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30542-NOOB-reading-list

I planned on using pepakura with fiber glass resin cuz it seemed easy for a first helm. My other question is does every armor and helm are using bondo/rondo?? or there are other alternative?

bondo and rondo are needed in making armor for the pepakura resin method. you apply bondo to the outside of the helmet and sand it down to smooth out edges.

Rondo and bondo are different. Rondo is an alternative to fiberglassing, it's easier to use, but can crack and is heavier. Bondo is what goes on the outside of a helmet to smooth it out and put in details. It is optional, but the use of it increases the quality of your prop tenfold.

What I wanna do as a first helm is the hayabusa helmet, before I start is there any problem doing it? like filling up the spike with fiber glass resin.

Well you only put resin on the outside and inside as a first coat. you could fill the spikes with rondo but its quite heavy and may break them. I hope you stick with the busa though not many people end up actually going through with it. you just dry sand the bondo but i would be more concerned about getting some armor pepped and see how you like it before you get too far ahead of yourself.

Well you only put resin on the outside and inside as a first coat. you could fill the spikes with rondo but its quite heavy and may break them. I hope you stick with the busa though not many people end up actually going through with it. you just dry sand the bondo but i would be more concerned about getting some armor pepped and see how you like it before you get too far ahead of yourself.

well, thx for the good advices.
I have a few more question, since there are some sort of motifs on the spikes how should I make them?
And do you know where I can find a good pepakura of this helm, I searched but didn't find one.

EDIT: forgot to ask should I glue the pepakura with hot glue or normal glue?

well as far as overall modeling goes i started with basa wood and plastic..... so at least my carving patients is good, i personially have never cared for resin because #1 Pain in the keister to glue and #2 for the type of modeling i was doing (1/32 scale modeling) resin wasn't gd for detail. but as far as strenght goes i'd do a combo of liquid plastic and a ton of squadron putty, and a little mil-putt which all can be picked up at hobby lobby or for me Patch Craft.... the mil-putt is a 2 part epoxy made for figure sculpting so you could use it for alot of the armor detail such as the breathing gills, raised detail areas....and would be good for filling in the visor gaps

well, thx for the good advices.
I have a few more question, since there are some sort of motifs on the spikes how should I make them?
And do you know where I can find a good pepakura of this helm, I searched but didn't find one.

EDIT: forgot to ask should I glue the pepakura with hot glue or normal glue?

hot glue or even wood glue... for the spikes vacuum form them, just make a femalke mold of the spikes outta either balsa or plaster and you stretch plastic sheets over em, and fill in with expanding foam for more strenght

P.s. i just realizes my spelling bites

watch out for double post bro, you could simply have edited the one on top.

and good idea I think I will only fill up the spike with some expanding foam.

If the Hayabusa is what you want to make then there's no point in building anything else first, if you ask me. You can probably learn along the way how to do the pepping right, and you should be prepared to build the whole thing twice anyway, even if it's just because the scale is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back