Why Does It All Ways End Up Crapy

Status
Not open for further replies.

zabicvamere

Jr Member
i am so jealous of these guys and girls that make beautiful helms. For some reason no matter how hard i try my pepakura helmets get warped and deformed especially my odst and i dont know why, every time i cut out the pieces and glue them together they are always off the mark and then i cant move them cuz of the super glue. i do use the color code for valley and mountain but it just doesn't matter, doesn't the same happen to everyone and how do i stop the over lap and the warp that occurs during the pep process?

try using tacky glue, it really helps make you take your time and it will stick so you can keep glueing while it drys but still gives you plenty of time to get each tab perfect

First, and this is just my opinion and you don't have to listen to it...

Super glue is not for paper craft. Use elmer's glue which is made for paper craft and dries just as fast (if not faster) as super glue.

If you mess up a tab, cut it at the seam, and make another tab. Very easy to fix if you glue something wrong.

Also, for a helmet, don't try to start on one area and work all the way around. Build larger sections (left and right) then start joining these together.

i see thats why its always warping cuz im glueing from left then right causing it to lean to the sides , so your saing build the left and the right then glue them together? also look at what i got today its airsoft.

um let me guess its an echo 1 either plastic version, or the panther arms one, probably panther arms casue of the PEQ laser box.

box o crayons said:
um let me guess its an echo 1 either plastic version, or the panther arms one, probably panther arms casue of the PEQ laser box.

i dont know the names its plastic its said firepower f4d emg i wanted the colt replica it had the red dot flashlight acog and laser and a handgun all in one but they were sold out $59 for all that and a leg holster ..... i didnt have the money at the time so i couldnt get it but sure enough the day after i saw it they were all gone cruel is life!

oh i see ... its made by palcosports i bought it at sports academy.

Last edited by a moderator:
mines better :D

myawesomegun8to.jpg

@OP maybe you are trying to move along too fast and just being sloppy about gluing. I find myself just wanting to hurry up and finish a piece, and numbers stop matching up. When I get to that point I just take a break from it for a bit and come back to it later. I use the "Extra Time" Locktite brand super glue. I do have issues with it smearing ink I use when I score lines and I think it prevents it from drying quickly, but besides that it pretty good.

Liq said:
mines better :D

myawesomegun8to.jpg

@OP maybe you are trying to move along too fast and just being sloppy about gluing. I find myself just wanting to hurry up and finish a piece, and numbers stop matching up. When I get to that point I just take a break from it for a bit and come back to it later. I use the "Extra Time" Locktite brand super glue. I do have issues with it smearing ink I use when I score lines and I think it prevents it from drying quickly, but besides that it pretty good.

*Cry* youve ruined my new gun high now im going threw withdraws hope your happy!

zabicvamic said:
*Cry* youve ruined my new gun high now im going threw withdraws hope your happy!

thats an old pic, you should see it now....

box o crayons said:
nice CQB settup what kind of gun is it CA, ics, doesnt look G&G but i may be wrong.

Bushmaster...

Wow, off topic much? Lol :lol

If you are struggling with your pep, I would post some pictures. They'll be much more useful than anything you could try to spell out with words. ;)

hey man -

some warping is common in my limited experience, but thats QUITE a lot of warping

wot thickness of paper are you using?

I use 220gsm (its a uk term, but theres a US weight equivalent - theres a stickie on it)

but even with that I still get some warping

at free edges like that - I have gotten used to re-inforcing the edge with some extra paper, or even cardboard for the resining phase.

and thats not only in a helmet, even for armour parts.

some pepa unfolders have an internal strut eg vrog's marine stuff, juices killzone mask; but it certainly isnt a universal practice

as for the overlapping stage - I am sure evey1 doesnt get in perfectly on every time. but if u are planning on doing more pep - I would certainly invest in a hot glue gun (thats just my personal preference, it helps that I cook a lot too and dont have much sensation at my finger tips any more either rofl!!!) - its a great tool if you do lots of costuming or even just for arts and crafts with the kids!

theres a 10sec interval before the glue cools and solidifies that you can move it around into a perfect position.

oh, and with my reinforcement idea, you can sort of 'build out' the edge to meet flush. Everything else can be fixed at bondo phase.

thx i didnt think about reinforcing with card board, but i have noticed that manikin heads are good for sculpting yhe question is can any one tell me where to find one?

I am sure there are more professional ways of doing this - but I went with cheap :D

I took a kitchen roll holder, attached the bottom to a heavy weight (in my case just a spare weight off my dumbells) - lots of bubble wrape and tape. It aint pretty, but it works and you are right - its a nice plateform for doing stuff to teh helmet on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back