Why Is It Trendy To Hate Michael Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a good CGI/Action director...most of the time. Yes, his films have had some decent success. Doesn't mean he's perfect though either.

Transformers was a C+/B- at best. Several problems with it. One being the closed off angles all the bot fights were shot at where you could barely make out what was actually happening then it was over all of the sudden. The best action/fight part was the highway sequence, but ended abruptly with a short(but awesome) energon sword to the face from Optimus again without really knowing what was happening till it was over. Also, the long build up to a weak and very short finale. I was really excited about this movie. I went to see it and the film burned up in the last 15 minutes. I had to go see the first 2 hours all over again just to see the last disappointing 15 minutes. Overall, a lot of this movie was just cheesy, and not the good kind.

Barring all that, like I said before he's a good CGI/Action director. He's got an idea for what will blow people's minds in the art of stunts and explosions. You want to see that stuff throughout a movie? Great. Though, without a good plot or script to back it up, those types of movies usually fall flat on their face for a lot of people.

Example of good dialog meets awesome action: Bad Boys(both installments), which if IMDB is correct was the movie that probably started his big movie career as it was his first big one. Why did I enjoy that movie? The banter between Will Smith and Martin Lawrence was pretty natural and memorable and added to the drama. Ask yourself this, with those things missing would the action have been enough? Probably not.

Bay didn't always get it right and sometimes he didn't even have a chance, but when he hits the mark it does stick.

Though his track record of late is a little shotty with me, I don't consider him a horrible director in what ever he attempts. I will remain skeptical of his efforts though until I see them for myself. Next movie to come out that he's directing is the next Transformers installment.

For the record, I liked Armageddon, The Rock, and Bad Boys 1 & 2. For nostalgia sake I'll say I liked Transformers too, but it could have been so much better.

"Put da cube in mah chest!!!!"
My friends and I made fun of that for a while after the movie...lol

It did have some cheesy parts, but overall I'd say it was a good movie.

Didn't Bay also do Cloverfield? Maybe I'm mixing up my facts but I think he did.

EDIT: Nevermind, that was some guy named Reeves. Bay still has some good stuff though.

I loved that movie... and I've never heard of it being trendy to hate him but regardless, I think he is an amazing director.

As far as Smith and Cruise: Smith is unspeakably good at what he does, hope he keeps rolling out the films. Cruise, thought I am religiously free-minded, is a scientologist... which I find to be a joke. That's not important though, I just think he is in general not a good actor.

I haven't seen Tropic Thunder, but yeah, he was that gray haired crazy guy.

Cruise was hilarious in Tropic Thunder. It took me a couple of scenes to realize the bald guy was him. "Who's a key grip? You? Punch that guy in the face! Punch him really f-ing hard!

Micheal Bay is alright. I liked Transformers, Armageddon, and the Rock. "Russian parts, American parts, all made in Taiwan!" I thought that the action in Transformers was too quick across a large theater and I didn't really get to see everything that was happening until it was a lot smaller on my TV.

This does remind me of a funny little video that Supernews made of him

http://current.com/items/76399362/transformers_2.htm

He was "alright" until Transformers. Instead of making the Transformers movie about Transformers, he made a movie about a guy who interacts with Transformers. I'm not saying it wasn't a good movie, I enjoyed it, but he took what he was given and ran with it to some far, far away place.

So, saying that I hate the guy would be inaccurate. I strongly disagree with the choices he has made in the film industry.

i wouldnt say i hate michael bay, but he DOES rely too heavily on CGI and modern technology to save his arse when directing. I don't like modern films now, due to the massive overuse of blue screens, it doesn't look real. But, you can get worse (Uwe Boll is probably #1).

Transformers could cause an epileptic person seize up, or at least make me nauseous. It was just too special-effects oriented.

And, i see where Will Smith comes off as a junky actor, he hasn't had a great track record (I did not like I am legend), and as much as I do not like Tom Cruise (he is not only a bit of an overactor, but he takes scientology really seriously), he was HILARIOUS in Tropic Thunder (one of my favorite movies). It just showed that he can let off some steam and be an insane but funny character. I use what he says as threats sometimes when i'm mad (but according to the rules, i cannot say ANYTHING here)

don't worry, i'll help change hollywood. Look for my name in the future!

Sigma-LS said:
I liked Transformers, Armageddon, and the Rock. "Russian parts, American parts, all made in Taiwan!"
That movie was on tonight! The Russian dude always makes me laugh. :D

But I'm so out of touch with Hollywood, I don't even know who Michael Bay is... You could show me a picture with all of Hollywood's big stars and I may know one or two of them, but that's about it. But hey, I'm not the movie type of guy. I may see one, TWO movies top a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
rvb4life said:
i wouldnt say i hate michael bay, but he DOES rely too heavily on CGI and modern technology to save his arse when directing. I don't like modern films now, due to the massive overuse of blue screens, it doesn't look real.

Well, that depends. Sometimes you don't WANT it to look real. (Sin City, 300, Sky capain, ect.)

But in Transformer's case ,the chroma key was done fairly well, and there were a couple of CG shots that looked 100% real, but there were only about 3 of them clustered around the middle of the movie. I think it was mostly in the movement (ILM seems to over-do the swing on limp limbs, see the dead alien arm in War of the Worlds) and the fact that the camera won't stay still even for a simple close-up of one of the transofrmers. Maybe it's because MB doesn't treat the robots like characters. When a human is talking it's fine, the camera is locked in position and un-distracting. When it's a robot, the camera constantly sweeps around and zooms in and out as it he were looking at a building. He needs to treat the CGI characters the same as the actors, that will add to the reality that his movies swing for and miss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Armageddon- ok
Transformers- Insanium in the cranium.
The Rock- one of the best
The Island- never saw it. looked crappy
Bad Boys- sucked, but had funny moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back