Wiezel's ODST build

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiezel

Jr Member
Hello fellow 405th members. i have been hiding in the shadows of the forum and occasionally peeking my head out to comment on some of the awesome builds that have or are taking place here. i thought it was about time for me to enter the lime light and share with you all my attempt at building a set of ODST armor. I am mostly using Hugh's files and some of Kirrou's. I hope that my build will do the pep files justice. This is my first attempt at pepping.

Here goes nothing ;)

aad12bb5.jpg

381eec19.jpg

Here it is resined

758591bc.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. Any and all comments or questions are welcome...

Great pep work, very clean lines. I'm glad you popped out of the shadows to share this with us. Are you going with pep for the hole suit or are you going to work in some foam?

Great pep work, very clean lines. I'm glad you popped out of the shadows to share this with us. Are you going with pep for the hole suit or are you going to work in some foam?

Hugh's belt base and spine are going to be made of foam. I may actually cover the belt base in some type of cordura material. That's it for the foam though. I do plan on molding and casting the pieces and I don't know if foam lends itself to that process.

Very clean pep! Judging by how well you did this, you could have easily handled Rundown's model. It's very similar to Kirrou's, but it has the groove lines on the top modeled in. Kirrou has some very good files, and Hugh's are pretty much as good as they come.

What are your plans for hardening? Rondo, fiberglass or both?

I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks for the praise carpathiavh99! I may at some point give Rundown's model a go then :) For the initial hardening I'm using fiberglass resin. and then rondo on the inside. I plan on using some foam it 3 so i can dremmel in detail without having to worry about punching a hole in the model. Unless someone know's a better way to approach it.

If I may make a suggestion. I would recommend pouring in a thin coat of rondo before you add the fiberglass. That way, you'll be sure to get into all those little nooks and crannies. I glassed my ODST helmet first, and there is a section where an air bubble formed (even though I took my time glassing) and that area, shown here...

DSCN0930-1.jpg

did not get properly hardened as a result. When I went to carve the three grooves that are present there, I discovered that it was hollow and it created a ton of extra work.

If I may make a suggestion. I would recommend pouring in a thin coat of rondo before you add the fiberglass. That way, you'll be sure to get into all those little nooks and crannies. I glassed my ODST helmet first, and there is a section where an air bubble formed (even though I took my time glassing) and that area, shown here...

did not get properly hardened as a result. When I went to carve the three grooves that are present there, I discovered that it was hollow and it created a ton of extra work.

I definitely second this, I ran into the exact same issue when I did my helmet, same file and everything. Aside from that, your pep work is certainly something to be admired, great work! Also, I saw that you only plan to use foam on the chest core and spines. Please, I'm begging you here, consider using foam for the thighs as well. Believe me, it makes everything unbelievably easier.Not only are the thighs way easier to do out of foam (in my opinion), it also allows you TO ACTUALLY WALK. Anyone with a full pepped suit will tell you that the things are just plain hard to walk around in unless you really work hard with the strapping and scale it PERFECTLY. With foam you can walk around and sit almost as easily as you would without the armor on. One final note, if you have time shoot over to about halfway down page four of my build HERE and check out the strapping system I used for the thighs, It works perfectly and I've had absolutely no issues with it after attending 3 conventions in it. But awesome work so far man, keep it up!

Thank you for the kind words higdog827. I will certainly consider the foam option for the thighs. I may make them out of foam initially and then take my time with the scaling for a fully pepped piece. Well actually half pepped since the insides were going to be foam anyway. I totally forgot to mention that in my earlier post. My bad. My plan was actually to even make the very bottom of the inside (the piece that connects the outer and inner portions) out of foam too. That would make the outside completely rigid while the portion that faces the other leg is flexible and it may give me options for donning and doffing the thigh pieces. I could use Velcro on one side and have the flexibility of the foam part act almost like a hinge. I hope I explained that properly.
BTW your build looks pretty cool. I love what you did with the rifle! :)

Thanks briciius and spartan monkey. Keep at it spartan monkey!!! You will pep that good. Honestly, I don't even think I'm that good.

Here is an update for you guys. Shoulder resined. Both pieces are also have rondo.

d78c474f.jpg

768c99e8.jpg

Shoulder pep looks good! And if you don't mind, I've got another suggestion. The little raised detail on the top portion of the shoulder is a little odd in Kirrou's file. I'm talking about this thing:
shoulderODST.png

I don't know if you really care whether or not its there, but in case you do want to make it, go back into the file and isolate the freestanding outline for that detail onto its own page:
shoulderODST2.png

print it onto cardstock, cut it out, than use that to trace about 5 more of that piece onto cardstock again and cut out those (or a sheet of styrene if you have some and a means of cutting it). Next adhere all those cardstock pieces on top of each other in a stack using either spray adhesive or a glue stick, spray works best though. then just glue this stack onto the shoulder where its supposed to sit and re-resin that area, making sure to get a good coat on the new detail. Then when thats done, print one of the bloodtype patches HERE onto cardstock and spray adhesive that onto the detail. Believe me, it'll add a whole lot more definition to the piece, plus it looks really cool ;)

(Just as a note, the patches were not done by me, I got them all off a generous member of the 405th whose username escapes me at the present moment. He did a great job on them though!)

Thanks for reminding me. I totally forgot about that piece. I guess I got a little too excited and went ahead and resined the shoulders. LOL. I do have it though. Also thanks a bunch for the link to the Blood Type Patches. I was trying to figure out how to make mine. This completely solves my problem, and thank you to the generous 405th member for making them and providing them for us to use!!!

Thanks croc co! I'm hoping all my pieces turn out as good. :) I am currently at work. I should have an update for you guys later tonight. I have been working on the chest core. Made a few mods to it. Pics to follow.

Grüss Gott! ;) Thanks PigBenis. The chest core is now resined. I did a test fit. Let me know what you all think about the scaling. I think I got it right.

7f24a1a4.jpg

c0bf4639.jpg

Its looking awesome man. Glad to see you did in fact get the scaling right. Great pep skills,cant wait to see it as it progresses. Just remember the undersuit for it. It'll add a little less room to play with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back