X button debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadguy

So.. what do YOU think the x-button is gonna' be for?

Rolling dodge button?
Limited use "boost" for running?
Jetpack booster?
Shield button?
Temporary Cloaking in multiplayer? (arbiter-style)

Doesn't the Masterchief H2 armor back look like it has a jetpack? If you compare it (notably, the "towers") with the flying elite's backpack, there are definately similarities. Before Halo 2 came out, I was almost positive the armor changes indicated at least a jump-boost jetpack.

How about a temporary shield button that works against projectiles? Similar to what the jackals use, mixed with the new shield doors?

Personally, I can't think of what else it would do.. unless it's got to do with targeting? They DID state that there would be a better way to somehow indicate enemies to your warthog gunners..

Maybe the X-button highlights a target, and makes them glow or something on your screen so you don't lose track of them? Maybe in multiplayer you can do it and it appears on your teammate's screens?

C'mon.. chime in.. what do you guys think it's for?

There was a big debate over at HBO about it....Im not really sure as of right now even when it comes to a guess....hopefully something cool.

defense against a melee attack?

Disarm?

Put weapon away and run?

running shoulder tackle melee thing?

window wipers for your visor?

lol visor wipers!

How about a "make yer mommy get you your friggin' chocolate milk" button?

heh heh.. ya'll remember that one?

Maybe it's a taunt button? moon yer opponents, or give 'em the finger!

Deadguy said:
How about a "make yer mommy get you your friggin' chocolate milk" button?

heh heh.. ya'll remember that one?
Wow, that brings me back, lol!

But seriously, whatever it is, I sure hpoe it isn't a cover system. Keap cover out of my Halo, Bungie. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I hope it's maybe like a sprint button or something.

Oh and the way to get your gunner to aim is more of a persuasion kind of thing. I distinctly remember in Halo: CE, on the 'Halo' level, my gunner was being an R-tard and trying to kill a single grunt behind a tree, when there was like 3 elites just in front of me, I kept moving the camera on them then back at the grunt, then to the elites again, hoping he would stop trying to get the Grunt, and aim for the Elites. Now, doing that will actually get through to them and they'll be all like "Oooooooooh, you want me to shoot them big blue fellas Chief? Well why didn't you just say so?" or something to that extent...

I hope it's not a dis-arm maneuver either, cuz if you're that close to someone, a few melee attacks should bring them down. And what if you sneak up behind em? Then you can just melee them once and get their weps that way.

Wow, this must be my longest post yet!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that the Football Ad is out, let's re-look at some of this stuff:

Deadguy said:
Rolling dodge button?
Limited use "boost" for running?
Jetpack booster?
Shield button?
Temporary Cloaking in multiplayer? (arbiter-style)

Doesn't the Masterchief H2 armor back look like it has a jetpack? If you compare it (notably, the "towers") with the flying elite's backpack, there are definately similarities. Before Halo 2 came out, I was almost positive the armor changes indicated at least a jump-boost jetpack.

How about a temporary shield button that works against projectiles? Similar to what the jackals use, mixed with the new shield doors?

Personally, I can't think of what else it would do.. unless it's got to do with targeting? They DID state that there would be a better way to somehow indicate enemies to your warthog gunners..

Maybe the X-button highlights a target, and makes them glow or something on your screen so you don't lose track of them? Maybe in multiplayer you can do it and it appears on your teammate's screens?

Did the trailer reveal the X-button usage?

There were initial claims that the x-button effect would revolutionize the way first-person shooters are played. This suggests that it's not a sprint feature, because that's been done before, including Gears of War.

A temporary shield might be a new thing for gameplay, but I don't know why it wouldn't just be a Jackal shield on a wrist generator, instead of that "shield grenade" unless there would be an issue trying to suggest that the shield can only block damage coming from one direction, or plasma weapons would instantly defeat it, or enemies have to aim for your exposed hand/gun-tip, etc.

A jetpack boost is all over the star wars battlefront games, therefore hardly revolutionary in a first-person shooter, unless you consider that it's a 3rd person game? Maybe it's even used as a "super jump" method? sort of like double-clicking your jump button in some games?

Temporary cloaking isn't revolutionary considering that the arbiter did it in Halo 2, though it wasn't availible in multiplayer. Would it revolutionize multiplayer to include it?

A rolling dodge isn't new either, but I don't think it's been availible in first-person before, only in 3rd person.

A grappling hook isn't new either, but again.. new for first-person, unless you played the Quake mods back in thee day (I LOVED those grappling hooks!.. both as a weapon, and as a mode of transportation).

Another clue is that during the multiplayer exclusive, the bungie guys were overheard saying to one another.. "I wish the x-button had been enabled, how many times did you press it on that run? I did it like 10 times.."

Personally, I think that might fit the Sprint feature, considering that Bungie is taking great pains to eliminate the whole "gotta'-walk-ALL-the-way-across-this-huge-freakin'-map..It's-gonna-take-FOREVER.." thing. They've got the faster vehicle (mongoose) and differently powered Man Cannons that can throw you halfway across the map, or to a weapon stash nearby, depending upon which one you use.

Of course, I guess the feature could have been anything, that statemeent doesn't REALLY pin anything down.

Of course it might be the hammer button that alows you to use a brute hammer.. ;)

my thoughts

Deadguy said:
"shield grenade"
could be, but very unlikely, especially is used like the one in the new trailer. You'd have to aim it down, then make sure you're inside it, then try to make that awkward pose ;)

Deadguy said:
A jetpack boost? "super jump" method?
the jumps in Halo games are already slow and high so it's prolly not likely to do this, that and the fact of MC is known for huge jumps without jetpacks. And we don't want our Chief looking like a Fett.

Deadguy said:
Temporary cloaking isn't revolutionary considering that the arbiter did it in Halo 2, though it wasn't availible in multiplayer. Would it revolutionize multiplayer to include it?
would defeat the purpose of clocking power-ups in mp. so again, unlikely.

Deadguy said:
A rolling dodge isn't new either, but I don't think it's been availible in first-person before, only in 3rd person.

Deadguy said:
A grappling hook isn't new either, but again.. new for first-person, unless you played the Quake mods back in thee day (I LOVED those grappling hooks!.. both as a weapon, and as a mode of transportation).
i can't picture it. and when I do, i see a little fairy named Navi on John's shoulder.

Deadguy said:
Sprint feature
I think this is it

Deadguy said:
Of course it might be the hammer button that alows you to use a brute hammer.. ;)
:twisted:

Before i say it i jsut want people to know i skipped over the post in this thread i just read the title and O.P. but on to my guess, wouldnt X jsut be reload and action again or I could have missed a bungie post :Steve:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back