Yeah, I Need To Sleep More. Science Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloodl3tt3r said:
*sigh*
Average distance from earth to sun: 93million miles.
93,000,000/186,000 miles per second as the speed of light approximated = 500seconds

500/60 is 8.33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 minutes.

So yes, about 8 minutes and twenty seconds on average if you use the distance that begins from the center of the sun. I bet if you were to find from the surface of the sun to the earth it'd be even closer to 8 minutes on the dot.
I started to look up all the figures, but then I decided it wasn't worth the effort. It was one of those days at work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm i may be wrong but as far as i can see it (after discustion with my geo enivormentalist),
if the sun was to "dissapear" all the lights would do dark after 8 mins and would get very cold very quick, but in terms of Gravity, its not the sun the keeps ur feet stuck to the floor its the mass of the earth and its rotational spin which slightly lessens the accelection of gravity, so baiscly with the sun gone the earth would be free of its orbit and follow an outward tragectory. BUT gravity would remain as the earth as it is. once the earths spin had gotten slower the acclecation of pull from gravity would increase slightly over time (im only talking releativly small amounts here). but we would all be
long gone by this point....but thats not the point of the ?tion.

(edited for correction)

theres my 2 cents

demon2005 said:
Hmmmm i may be wrong but as far as i can see it (after discustion with my geo enivormentalist),
if the earth was to "dissapear" all the lights would do dark after 8 mins and would get very cold very quick, but in terms of Gravity, its not the sun the keeps ur feet stuck to the floor its the mass of the earth and its rotational spin, so baiscly one the suns gone the earth would be free of the orbit of the sun and follow and outward tragectory. BUT gravity would remain as the earth has a moment which keeps us in the spin which it would loss slowly, once
the earths spin had gotten slower our gravity would disapate over time by that time we would all be
long gone but thats not the point of the ?tion.

theres my 2 cents
o_O I think you missed something somewhere. BTW, the earth, and for that matter every other object in the universe, exerts a gravitational pull due to its mass, regardless of whether the planet is spinning or not.

To find the answer, you must understand the question. So what are you asking. Are you trying to ask if its possible to surpass the speed of light but for what purpose? Instantaneous point to point travel? Or time travel?

Spase said:
To find the answer, you must understand the question. So what are you asking. Are you trying to ask if its possible to surpass the speed of light but for what purpose? Instantaneous point to point travel? Or time travel?

I simply wished to know whether the effects of the intangible force known as "gravity" was limited by the speed of light.

Demon: In response to your original post before the edit as quoted by UNSC_Leatherneck, planets have gravity regardless of whether they are spinning or not, like Leatherneck said. What you're thinking of is centrifugal force, which technically does not exist except as a reactionary force to centripetal force. If the planet stopped spinning, bad stuff would happen to the crust of the planet, but we'd still stay on the ground.

However, you did correct yourself, so I really don't have anything to say except that I was wondering what would happen to the path of the planet, not the lives of the people on it. Everyone knows we're screwed if the sun goes out.

Bloodl3tt3r said:
However, you did correct yourself, so I really don't have anything to say except that I was wondering what would happen to the path of the planet, not the lives of the people on it. Everyone knows we're screwed if the sun goes out.

well that teaches me to check what i wrote before i post lol. has your ?tion been answered now?
you know what would happen to the path of the planet and the little to no effect the suns disaperance would cause to us in a gravtional sence.
ok ok the comment on the people being stuffed was not needed but hay i was only saying

(But i will thought this throw this in to the mix... pretty soon we are due for a polaraity shift which if/when happens all electrical devices in the worlds electrical current will be reversed, will competers/machines be ok or will they go pop??)

demon2005 said:
(But i will thought this throw this in to the mix... pretty soon we are due for a polaraity shift which if/when happens all electrical devices in the worlds electrical current will be reversed, will competers/machines be ok or will they go pop??)
Are you talking about geomagnetic reversal (earth's magnetic field changing polarity)? If so, the answer is no, because electrical current has nothing to do with magnetic poles, also the power network is AC.

(They might get fried by the solar wind/cosmic rays if the field looses strength during the transition, but at least we'll make it, somehow humans survived the other flips)

TF_Productions said:
Are you talking about geomagnetic reversal (earth's magnetic field changing polarity)? If so, the answer is no, because electrical current has nothing to do with magnetic poles, also the power network is AC.

(They might get fried by the solar wind/cosmic rays if the field looses strength during the transition, but at least we'll make it, somehow humans survived the other flips)

Yeah, that's beyond what I was asking, but I doubt that our electrical energy grid has anything to do with the reversal of the magnetic poles of our planet.

But yeah, essentially, the site that was posted answered my question for me. Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back