ZMX's ODST Armor [Pic Heavy] - A detailed thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN --

I have received my flight suit, so it is time for some picture of the (almost)final ODST SUIT!

Here goes (and don't mind the bedsheets):

1031566.jpg

1031565.jpg

1031560.jpg

scaled.php

Not bad at all! It turned out pretty darn well, I'd say! Just need to get some gloves, and it'll look pretty freakin' awesome!

I don't want to be too critical here, but I think that your helmet could probably use a little bit more love, it looks pretty pixely to me.

Not bad at all! It turned out pretty darn well, I'd say! Just need to get some gloves, and it'll look pretty freakin' awesome!

I don't want to be too critical here, but I think that your helmet could probably use a little bit more love, it looks pretty pixely to me.

First, thanks! And second, yeah, I know about the helmet, I barely used any bondo on it, and there are a ton of weakspots that you can't see on the picture. I don't plan on putting more work on it, though: since it looks a bit narrow and there isn't any space for lights, electronics or even PADDING, I'll probably just pep another one at some point and give it a whole bunch of love!

lol looks all bad. lol idk how to say I wouldn't wanna run into you in an alleyway. looks awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks Great! I've been wanting to doing a foam ODST, but I wasn't sure how to go about doing it. How do you modify the pep files for foam? Do you have to reduce the line count or the number of faces to simplify it?

Looks Great! I've been wanting to doing a foam ODST, but I wasn't sure how to go about doing it. How do you modify the pep files for foam? Do you have to reduce the line count or the number of faces to simplify it?

The key is keeping in mind that you will not fold foam pieces. You must think of each "face" of a armor piece as a foamie, which you will assemble with a hefty dose of angle cuts. You need to remove the tabs from the pep file, and divide pieces that have folds in them so as to make "unique", "one-tile" units. It is pretty abstract when described with words, but look up Ben Streeper's tutorials for foam armor, that's where I took most of my info. Making a piece out of foam is not that long - the thinking and tinkering beforehand can take a good while, though. Figuring out how to make a given piece is the biggest challenge, but once you've found the solution to the problem, it's pretty smooth as long as you take your time and don't rush ("rushing" being the ennemy of every build, ever). As for the line counts, you can do it, but not too much, or you might lose details (and foam is pretty much broad strokes when it comes to details). Again, see Ben Streeper's bible of foam building!

@Johnawesome : thanks! The color is simple Gunmetal automotive paint (GM colors, IIRC)

I like the metallish color on the chest.
someone else noticed it too. lol sweet job, the chestplate has a cool metallic shimmer to it, keep up the great work! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great! I always enjoy seeing more people working with foam. The flight suit really ties the whole thing together! Nicely done.

looks great! That's an awesome build. I can't tell from the picture but do you have knee/shin plates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back