2013 Comic con.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icon Props

Member DIN
S007
Ok ive never been to this thing & its looking expensive. I'd like to get this right. Anyone going? whats should i expect? any do's & don't? I'm still working on getting a ticket / hotel / airline tickets. I don't think theres any con further away from Florida.
Thanks
Jim McCrea

I'll be heading down with my friends and family and a bunch of Californian 405thers go every year. It's one of the most hectic and events I've ever been to and there's definitely a few survival rules to keep in mind:

1) PLAN AHEAD - this is for EVERYTHING, and I do mean EVERYTHING. General passes aren't on sale yet and they haven't announced the date. But be assured they'll sell out within half an hour. Keep an eye on that page and be prepared jump in with a fast internet connection. Same applies to hotels. Comic-Con will offer hotels at discounted rates, but when they go on sale, they will go as fast the passes. I personally will be staying at an extended stay hotel in hotel circle for a week during the con, any other 405thers are welcome to get a room next to us :). Panels also take special consideration, be aware of when they are and if there's anything popular before or after the one you want to go to. Ballroom 20 and Hall H will take at least 4+ hours to get into due to the long lines.

2) BE READY FOR THE CROWDS - Comic-Con is the single densest mass of humanity I've ever seen crammed into a building. There will be crowds and lines. Everything will take forever. Especially if you're in armor trying to get from point A to B. Aside from the general crowding and pushing, there will be the take a picture every 4 inches you move scenario

3) BE READY FOR SECURITY - They're dicks. Especially when it comes to managing lines at booths and panels. They also don't take too kindly to people holding up traffic for a while if people are taking pictures of you. Seriously had a security person threatened to call the fire marshall to get us to move when people were taking pictures of us.

4) EXPLORE THE GASLAMP DISTRICT - the con is too large to be contained in just the convention center. There's panel overflow into the hilton next door and a lot of big companies have taken to setting up events outside the convention center. Highlights include EA setting up some kind "base" in the hotel across the street, SyFy usually takes over an entire cafe and converts to the one from eureka, cartoon network usually gets a pizzaria, there's usually some from of carnival out in front of the convention center, etc.

5) PARKING COSTS A LOT - since you're flying out, i doubt it's an issue but for anyone else reading, prices have been going up and up over the years. Expect $30 a day for any parking close the convention center. But that can be mitigated by the free shuttles that comic-con runs around downtown to bring people from various spots to the convention center

6) TAKE ADVANTAGE OF BAGGAGE CHECK - there's a baggage check for $5 a day. Useful for storing swag you pick up, armor repair kits, etc.

7) THERE IS NO COSPLAY REPAIR AREA - i've only become aware recently the conventions have places to repair cosplay and stuff. I honestly had no idea. Comic-con does not have that.

8) BE PREPARED FOR SWAG - when you check in you'll get the giant WB bag that everyone loves. useful for hauling all the swag in the dealer hall, but it all gets heavy after a while and posters and such obviously get crumpled. So would be advisable to bring a tube if you're the collecting sort.

9) Meet other 405th Members! :) - There's like a little meetup every year, usually around a the time of halo panel. More information will probably come up on the 405th pacific facebook group

My wife and I are definetly also planning on going this year and both of us are planning on cosplaying as Spartans. This will be our first Comic Con as well and we're both very excited about it :) Seeing as how this will be our first comic con, I can't really give ya any advice about the con itself. But my wife and I have attended several conventions over the years and probably the most important rule I've learned to date (especially when cosplaying) drink LOTS of water and be sure to get a lot of rest, lol.

Speaking of advice though, would anyone happen to know what the best choice would be as far as bringing you're Halo Weapons along is concerned? I'll be flying as well and I can only imagine what security would say if they happen to find weapons in you're luggage or what have you, lol. So yeah, any advice there?

I might be going, as my whole family is going to have halo armor by then, so it would be a fun family activity. And I'm in Arizona, so its only a 6 hour drive to San Diego. But I'm not 100% sure yet.

Ok, i didnt make the member id registration deadline, i totally forgot about it. Im hoping that a friend of mine has theirs still and i can use it on feb 16th. i do have a question, can you buy two badges under one member id? i saw in the video tutorial (yes, i was lame enough to watch it) that each badge purchase requires a member id. if so, and you CANT use one for both, im totally screwed, and super sad!

@MsVanwolf

I really hate to be the one to bear bad news but I made sure to read everything on the site and they've made it clear that you need a member id for each individual. You can only purchase one badge per ID. Really sorry to be the bad news bear...:(:(:(:(

@MsVanwolf

I really hate to be the one to bear bad news but I made sure to read everything on the site and they've made it clear that you need a member id for each individual. You can only purchase one badge per ID. Really sorry to be the bad news bear...:(:(:(:(

NOOOOOO! that sucks! well there's always next year i guess.

it isn't too late, register anyway. for whatever reason, be it cancel declined cards whatever. they always have a second sale of some tickets a little before the convention. sadly this is what i have to rely on since when i tried to buy tickets my gf's laptop wouldn't even connect to the damned que room, the browser kept timing out -.-

Ok, i didnt make the member id registration deadline, i totally forgot about it. Im hoping that a friend of mine has theirs still and i can use it on feb 16th. i do have a question, can you buy two badges under one member id? i saw in the video tutorial (yes, i was lame enough to watch it) that each badge purchase requires a member id. if so, and you CANT use one for both, im totally screwed, and super sad!

WOndercon is always open! and its a blast aswell

Crap. I won't have my build done by wondercon. Thanks for the heads up though, I never knew about it until now. I think I will keep trying for comic con. The registration for user account reopened, I really need two 4 day badges, I'm a state away and I would hate to drive all that way for just a day badge and a maybe...

Too hard to handle comic-con outside of Canada for me, with the expenses of hotels and such, not to mention a passport lol I guess I should get one soon :p
Comic-con in Calgary I can do for sure though, can just stay at a friends house to sleep and park for free.
Hoping to also expect my girlfriend to go with me as newcomer Samus, really want to make the deadline to finish her suit

Good luck finishing her suit!
Too hard to handle comic-con outside of Canada for me, with the expenses of hotels and such, not to mention a passport lol I guess I should get one soon :p
Comic-con in Calgary I can do for sure though, can just stay at a friends house to sleep and park for free.
Hoping to also expect my girlfriend to go with me as newcomer Samus, really want to make the deadline to finish her suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back