Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreg

Hve u guys heard of the movie 300? from the looks of it, it reminds me of the story that Deja told the junior spartans, and how they defeated thousands of persian warriors in the first book

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae

An impressively accessible narrative depicting the three-day battle for the pass at Thermopylae (the Hot Gates)--a critical contest in Xerxes's massive invasion of Greece. The bloody stand made there by Leonidas and his small Spartan army in 480 B.C. has been hailed ever since as an outstanding example of patriotism, courage, and sacrifice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the historical link Adam. I have been meaning to look that up since seeing the 300 trailer. There is something utterly amazing going on in that movie. I get chills everytime I watch the trailer. It's really cool to see someone realize an epic and historic Greek battle with such a sleek and modern look. It's just undeniably gorgeous. Personally I am more excited about seeing this movie than any other coming out in the upcoming year...maybe except for Spiderman3...

The film itself is an adaptation of Frank Millers (Sin City) graphic novel of the same name glorifying the courage of the Spartan army.

And yes, it's no mistake that the Spartans in Halo are named for the 300 Spartan soldiers in the Battle of Thermopylae:

The performance of the defenders at the battle of Thermopylae is often used as an example of the advantages of training, equipment and good use of terrain to maximise an army's potential, as well as a symbol of courage against overwhelming odds. The heroic sacrifice of the Spartans and the Thespians has captured the minds of many throughout the ages and has given birth to many cultural references as a result.

yea its another movie based off of a graphic novel. ive seen it. everyone is naked in the novel. kinda wierd glad the movie is not the same

Dreg said:
it reminds me of the story that Deja told the junior spartans, and how they defeated thousands of persian warriors in the first book
Exactly what I thought of when i first saw the trailer. Looks good.

that is what the movie, and dejas story are based on... thermopolae (sp)

Makes all that reading homework suddenly look different, huh?

Imagine if you were taking that class now, or when the movie comes out, and your homework would be to go see the movie and find all the innacuracies!

It's gonna be a cool movie, and requisite for Spartans :lindsey:

Hey, why not, it's about the REAL spartan soldiers!

the MC is the best spartan ever even though he only exists it the hearts of his fans and in the halo books and games. . . . wait same with all the other heroes from that time but they were only in books so look like the MC wins

last week this kid walked up to me and said "My spartans can kick your army's ass"(hes obsessed with 300). I looked at him laughed and replied"you say army which would imply that there was more than one person in it. ha. all i need is one. John Spartan-117". he paused . . . . and then says to me "cheater" as he walks away.

Spartans

There are certain aspects of hisortic Sparta that 90+% of us would not be into . Their whole social strata was way different than what we would call "acceptable". They did kick some serious ass though. Just ask the Persians.

Harbinger

thats not nice make the prsians cry, speaking of that battle I am watchin the last samurai now and they talk about it

I cant wait for the movie i keep seeing the commercials and it just makes me want to see it even more. btw i have a relica of tom cruise's sword in that movie.

the MC is the best spartan ever even though he only exists it the hearts of his fans and in the halo books and games. . . . wait same with all the other heroes from that time but they were only in books so look like the MC wins
You might think differently after you've seen this movie.

I had huge expectations of this movie, and it DID NOT DISSAPOINT!

So until further notice Leonidas is my King and any further dissparaging remarks will be dealt with swiftly and painfully. :slap:

:mrgreen:

Saw it and all I can say is F***king Awsome. time to buy the graphic novel :hyper:

"no, these 300 men are just my personal body guards" :dee:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back