405th Mentor Programme 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm looking at getting into this. total noob, but have been wanting to do a build for years. been coming here off and on for the last 3 or so. now i finally have a bit of time and money to get started. I want to make a full suit, wearable, but start out with the helm (i know ppl say if you start with the helmet you'll never finish the suit). I've studied up on pretty much the whole process start to finish (pep->resin->rondo->detail->paint->visor->finish) from vids from BenStreeper and tuts from various Grand Master craftsmen, but there are little things that i would love to be able to discuss with someone. things like how to choose a pep file based on difficulty level and experience, fiberglass vs foam armor, base armor/attachments, and the like. thing is, due to my work/class schedule, this will be an on again, off again project, with times of mass productivity and virtually none. anyone willing to hang with me through the process?

Ill toss my hat back in the ring. I volunteered to be a mentor a while back, but I guess I didnt make the cut. :( Anyway, Im willing to help out if im needed. SilentCartographer, Id be up to hanging through the process with you! ;)

@ventrue
i'm now available again as a mentor
hellome no longer requires my assistance, i have confirmed this with him

CJ

This is something I'm interested in learning. I'm 100% noob, but I've been wanting to do this kind of thing for a while now. I've settled on making my first set out of the anti-fatigue floor mats. I've read most of the stickies and have a pretty good idea of what it would take if I wasn't using foam. The only thing I could find out about the foam process is from a vid by BenStreeper, and that was just grazing the surface. Anyone who is willing to hang in there with me would be awesome.

I'm just about an all-rounder. I am looking to work with foam and I have two armor ideas: 1. A Halo Reach armor, haven't picked out what it would look like exactly or Mass Effect Shepard armor. I need to learn how to scale in pepakura, how to cut the foam and put it all together (well, that's pretty easy, but when it's really rounded thats where I have problems) how to use plastidip, how to strap, how to do a helmet (which would be pep/fiberglass/bondo etc) and how to do painting. I know it's a lot to ask, but I would really like to work on this. I also might be venturing into casting (found a mold for cheap that I'm going to bid on that has casting rights) and I have no clue how to do that. xD
Thanks!

Hiya!
This is the first time I'm going to build anything at all (part from a crappy shelf in school), so I could really need someone patient to throw a bunch of "Durrrr"-questions at.
The plan is to make a complete Mark VI armor by next summer. I've been looking through a lot of the stickies, but could probably still use someone to clarify some thigns for me. Don't wanna mess up ^^
I have no experience doing any of this stuff, but I'm eager to learn.

i guess i can help out with the foam processes, I think im pretty good at it and i think its pretty simple to explain but i think i can use a mentor for cardboard scratch building? ive read the noob guide but i dont know how to tell if the indents in the design are outward or inward from the blueprints. so i guessi could be a mentor for foam and a mentoree for cardboard scratch weapon building?

@ventrue
i'm now available again as a mentor
hellome no longer requires my assistance, i have confirmed this with him

CJ

Already updated earlier this week.

using foam

I am looking to work with foam and I have two armor ideas: 1. The Old Republic Havoc Trooper (with a pep file from Rundown, waiting for a PM from him to buy it) and/or Mass Effect Shepard armor. I need to learn how to scale in pepakura, how to cut the foam and put it all together (well, that's pretty easy, but when it's really rounded thats where I have problems) how to use plastidip, how to strap, how to do a helmet (which would be pep/fiberglass/bondo etc) and how to do painting.

The plan is to make a complete Mark VI armor by next summer. I've been looking through a lot of the stickies, but could probably still use someone to clarify some thigns for me.

Added to waiting list, since there still isn't anyone available.

Keep in mind guys that the forum also has lots of resources if you spend some time looking and that you can use the Help! threads in the Noob Forum to ask questions in the mean time.

Hiya!
This is the first time I'm going to build anything at all (part from a crappy shelf in school), so I could really need someone patient to throw a bunch of "Durrrr"-questions at.
The plan is to make a complete Mark VI armor by next summer. I've been looking through a lot of the stickies, but could probably still use someone to clarify some thigns for me. Don't wanna mess up ^^
I have no experience doing any of this stuff, but I'm eager to learn.

Hey Andersson :) I'm also from Sweden, and been around for quite a while. If you have any questions where to buy materials etc. Feel free to ask :)!

Terribly sorry if this considered a Necro, but I want to build a Halo Magnum that shoots Nerf darts. Anyone who knows the same amount of Nerf knowledge or more than me, and is good at cardboard prop making would be greatly appreciated.

Just found this thread and though "Hey, I can help people out! "

I'd like to be a mentor. :)

I am good with the process of building armor (pep, resin, bondo) and have a 98% completed suit under my belt.

Hey, I was going to start working on a suit of my own in the very near future and was wondering if i could be put down to get a mentor. I'm pretty new to this, so someone who can give me help with the process (Pep, resin, bondo, etc...) would be a big help. Thank you!

Just found this thread and though "Hey, I can help people out! "

I'd like to be a mentor. :)

I am good with the process of building armor (pep, resin, bondo) and have a 98% completed suit under my belt.

You're not an Infantryman yet, so I'm afraid you'll have to wait a little bit longer until you can be a mentor.

Hello,
I'd like to me added to the "Mentee" list. I am attempting to build a set of armor and an assault rifle. I am an accomplished paint artist (draw, paint on canvas and 3D statuettes, airbrushing, etc), and I have some modeling experience (6 inch sports figures). I'm also a certified electronics technician (I am SURGICAL with a soldering iron) and network engineer so I can wire my suit by following a wiring diagram if such things exist.

Thanks!

Hello,
I'd like to me added to the "Mentee" list. I am attempting to build a set of armor and an assault rifle. I am an accomplished paint artist (draw, paint on canvas and 3D statuettes, airbrushing, etc), and I have some modeling experience (6 inch sports figures). I'm also a certified electronics technician (I am SURGICAL with a soldering iron) and network engineer so I can wire my suit by following a wiring diagram if such things exist.

Thanks!

Ah... what exactly do you need help with?

I hope you read the big red part of post #1, too.

Hello,

Thanks!

Now that you've got those skills out of the way, get a dremel and make it your next weapon of choice. You seem to have the skills for finishing/detailing, you just need to be able to build and sculpt. Good luck

Well at this point in time I've pepped, resined, glassed, and rondoed a full suit, and have bondoed 6 or so pieces. As for painting, I've been painting model kits of all scales for the past 8 years, so I know I'm good there.

I realize I'm not just at the level of a mentor at this point in time, but I know many if not all of the steps of this process like the back of my hand at this point and if you really need some more mentors I am open to it.

Bondo and Fiberglass and Resin have all been banned from my house, I used to work at a friends, and we stopped being friends when he tried to steal from me, so I started working at home, old man smelt it once and now I can't do it cause it bothers his nose. He wont even let me do leather working anymore, I can play with foam and thats it and I suck at it, so I could really use help with sealing and painting Foam as well as making templates for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back