405th Veteran Chat Discussion - IMPORTANT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtreme TACTICS 101

VETERAN MEMBERS ONLY

NOTE: Alright everyone,

The meeting hase been moved to 1:00pm CST, July 3rd. That is TODAY. If you can make it, awesome. If you can not, I'm sorry for springing this on you all so late into our initial plans.

-------------------------

Hey Veterans,

Its come to my attention, and I am sure your attention as well, that the 405th has been having problems with some of its members, functions, and overall useful knowledge. Tutorials are out dated for the pepakura technology, some new members are becoming more and more of a nuisance (as well as VERY disrespectful), and many of the older, most respected veterans are leaving. As you may have noticed, you are probably one of the very few remaining “all-knowing” veterans. I have taken a tally, and there seems to be less then 50 of the original, highly respected veterans here on the 405th. Many of the original veterans have left because of one reason or the other. The main reasons seem to be disrespect from newer members, recasters, or being overloaded with other members questions.

It seems of the less then 50 active original veterans here on the 405th, there is an average of 40 or more newer members for each of us to help. A fair amount of those newer members have no clue what stickies are, what ones to read, or how to take initiative.

Now, onto my main point.

We need change. There are too few active, respected, and overall very knowledgeable veterans to take care of the ever growing newb population. We need a few things to change around here for the greater good.

The Moderators and Administrators seem to ignore us (This obviously happening because there are so few of them compared to the vast population of the 405th), so we need to make our voices heard slightly above the rest for a moment. We need to gather as a group, discuss the problems of the 405th, and think of ways for those problems to be solved, and hope some of those actions are taken.

This is for the greater good of the 405th, and things must change as soon as possible (Halloween and Halo:Reach is coming after all... You know how that gets).

If you want to join the discussion, sign up here. You must be a member of the 405th community for a minimum of 6 months to join. Nintendude and myself will be hosting a get together of the veterans this coming Saturday at 8:00 CST on MSN and Skype. Add me on MSN or Skype if you want to participate.

MSN: xtremetactics@hotmail.com

List of those who are participating:

- Xtreme TACTICS 101
- Nintendude
- bobvdijk
- seaninja
- AlexSpartan117
- TH3 FETT MAN
- Longshot-X
- phixix
- HeavyGunner
- A_Guardian
- Adam
- H1rg0n
- Project003
- Tahu
- cayoke
- S1l3nt V1p3r
- RFPnoodle
- Ben Streeper
- Sean Bradley
- bobbio555

Thank-you all for your time.

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

Bravo Jake. I knew someone would say it along the line, just a matter of time.
Fact is I was a regular on here about 6months ago. but due to some good people leaving to persue other projects or just Real life kicking in and some (most) Mods just dissappearing or not caring I now rarely come on here.
Seems the Mods just arn't bothered anymore. There are of course a few exceptions to the rule. Dave and Bevbor do a great job for example. The glory days are gone.
So I wish you luck in your endevours. In my experiance it's gonna be a bit like hitting your head against a brick wall. I really hope you get somewhere though.

Although I hardly consider myself a "veteran" of the forums (not to mention I'm barely back from a half-year hiatus, partly due to some of the problems you've mentioned), I'm interested in weighing in on what you're trying to do here. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to attend such a meeting at that time. I hope that all longtime members will be able to voice their opinions on this topic in a way that is less... time-specific.

Just don't turn this into a mob with pitchforks, please? And no lynchings!

@bobvdijk, seaninja, Shade88- Added to the list.

@Redtogusa- I remember what it was like 6 months ago. Things have gotten prety bad over the past year/18 months.

@flyerfye- I don't plan to turn this into a mob. This is going to be a peaceful gathering of veteran members just wanting the 405th to be improved.

If you can not make the it on the set date, you can E-mail ( xtremetactics@hotmail.com ) me your ideas on how to improve the 405th. I will bring them up during the discussion with the other veterans to see what they think, and we will expand on your ideas/suggestions.

Everybody who is planning to come to the meeting should also be aware that this is going to be a very civilized conversation with the brightest minds on the 405th. Not a riot.

Also, if any Moderator would like to join our conversation as a spectator and poke in now and then with their opinion, you are welcome to (I'm talking to you Sean Bradley).

I have to say that even though I have not been a member that long (less than 2 months). I would have to agree with your comments above.

Thanks for including me in your "Should Attend" list. I'll do my best to attend. MSN or Skype works for me. I'll add your MSN and Skype to my lists.

I love how you guys act like we don't care. Fact is we're just as frustrated as you.

I'm so tired of addressing this bs too. I shouldn't have to feel like defending myself or any of the other moderators' actions, but it's just not in my nature to turn a blind eye when unintelligible bad mouthing of people's intentions are taking place as often as it's been occurring lately.

You're all pissed off. I get it. I get like that too sometimes. Thing is, I know how to get over it. Whining and complaining over and over and over aren't going to get anything done though. Either let it be until it's addressed/fixed or move on.

As far as the attitude toward the mod staff, it's going to stop. You want respect from us, but you're not willing give any? Screw that.

I'm done sugar coating and playing nice like some sort of politician. You want change. You got it. Now be ready for it.

Well, as a new member I must say that it will be a shame for you guys to 'go on strike'.

But things change and evolve, so do communities. To be honest, this place is not quite what I had heard when I was referenced to these forums for information and guidance.

And OP? ...You're sounding like a teenager who's upset his parents won't do things his way. Honestly, that's not a conductive way to get change done.

@Gaming Geek- I really don't need that. I put up with members all day, every day. If you knew the half of my contributions to this forum you wouldn't be pissing in my coffee.

I'm done sugar coating and playing nice like some sort of politician. You want change. You got it. Now be ready for it.

Ruh roh!
I think you may have awakened the slumbering giant (Cookie to whoever gets the historical reference).
Xtreme tactics, I think that a pin is on its way to pop that head of yours. Organizing a strike, on a website!?
Why does that make no sense to me?
Because it doesn't make any sense. If I find any newbies floundering for help, I'll help them. What happens if a newb asks about respirators, resin or something, you don't answer, and the little newb gets hurt and the 405th is slapped with a lawsuit? What then?
Frankly I don't want to see this website go under. It is nice to talk (well, converse) with people who have the same interest I do: Halo, and are motivated enough to make the armor, I don't want that to change.
Perhaps it is not the newbies fault for being rude, but the fact that some veterans are rude to them.
Personally I'm not surprised a 16-year-old would organize a strike, hoping to carve a niche for himself... get his voice heard. Such a shame to waste Deoxyribo Nucleic Acid like that.
Anywho, my strange rant is over. If you want to mess up the 405th, I'll know who to blame.

It's not attitude toward the moderators directly, it's attitude toward most of the moderators actions, Magnum, Rundown, Belakor, and Ithica have all done a great job of maintaing the forums and regulating the members actions, but there are other people not including the mods not listed that have been problems for the 405th,I am going to use this as a example, when the 405th first came back online I saw the Bridge section and I decided to take a look to see what had been posted I went through every topic especially the one where people had been banned and I saw a lot of bannings where it was a paragraph long of who and why they had been banned, if something like that is to happen the person being banned does'nt need to be backstabed over it it just needs to be a sentence stating who and why not a paragraph about it. The fact is without a straightfoward set of rules most of the new people are not going to care what they post when they join these forums. I also believe when I was looking at the Bridge one of the mods shot down Xtreme Tactics 101's Scaling Tutorial as a sticky for the Pepakura section and frankly that's part of the reason why most of the newbies post irrelevant topics is because most of what is in the Pepakura section is outdated and cluttered and not informative enough in some areas, the chat is not going to be a problem to anyone which is why any mods are welcome to be included and if anyone gets out of control it will be issued accordingly. You're right Magnum whining about what happens here is'nt going to solve anything but it stands a chance of certain things being addressed as a group where things can stand a chance being fixed, by a veteran learning what needs fixed and what they can do to help fix it can also lessen the strain on the moderators by helping each other and helping the newbies of the site in turn by no means will this be a strike. I do what I can here to help everyday and most people know that I am here every single day to help who I can I will never quit helping and that is the way I am.

Look your obviously pretty angry at this, but I don't think the intention of this thread for members to converge and disrespect the mods. I understand that people like Adam and co work their butts off to keep this place going and I really respect that because people in the business of making armour would be lost without this site.
I don't see a problem with members gathering to discuss some issues with the site and suggest what needs improving, as for 'putting this into action', I would like to think people wanting to get involved in this discussion aren't going to make the Mod's job harder with the combined pressure of the site being renewed, and forcibly bothering them with whatever is discussed at this meeting.
If you think that a gathering of people talking about issues on 405th IS a problem then could you explain why?

-Phi

Ok, I will explain this again. We are simply gathering to discuss the problems with the 405th and suggesting how to fix them. I am "bitching" about the moderating staff because of how few are left, and because of that they are not able to get anything done around here due to how few of theme are left.

I should probably edit that part to avoid any further flack...

Not so much not liking members gathering. I have no objections to a gathering of members (why would you listen to me, or anyone else anyway?), what you do on your own time is your business, but the threat of a strike is just... illogical.
By not getting the advice of experts, a newb could die (yes, die, from resin fumes for example) from not knowing correct safety procedures. That is what I'm trying to say, and I don't want the 405th getting slapped with a lawsuit from a newb not being told proper safety. (That can happen you know).

Good point. I realize I was a little over my head, so I edited the first post to be a little more explanatory so people do not take this as a riot. I just want to see some small changes in the 405th to better benefit all of its members.

@Xtreme

Well here's the thing.

You apparently joined here at 14. You're now 16 as referenced by other commenters in this thread.

Your comments and statements on the original post were aggressive and spiteful towards the influx of new posters. Your comments about 'let's go on strike' are rather childish and silly.

You act like you expect respect due to your join date, without realizing that respect is not earned by that way. I have no idea of knowing what you have done for this community in the past, as you have removed all traces of said help. All I can see is what you have done while I have been here, which seems to be "NOOBS SUCK, LET'S GET RID OF THEM" ...admittedly with better spelling and proper formating. ;)

I have nothing against showing thanks and respect towards the people who are already here in this community. I was pointed here by various Cosplay sites as the location that someone working on a video game armor costume should go, and that everyone here is rather nice and helpful towards newbies.

Indeed, I have seen a good deal of that. It's really nice. But then I ran into your posting, and saw someone who seems to be actively against that attitude.

It wasn't very cool to see.

I fear that if the 405th does exclude new people, the community will stagnate and slowly fall apart. It's the nature of communities. They have to grow and change over time, or else they die.

(edit) And I am sorry, I'm responding to your original post. You've toned it back now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back