581 - A HALO Story from the 405th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Art, when you guys designed 581, did you think of it as an armored ancilla core? or was it a unique unit that had the armor set integrated?

The idea was always that this was a standard, Halo 4 style Forerunner ancilla that has had UNSC/Master Chief style armor plating attached to his carapace. To be more specific, the armor hovers above the carapace and can be somewhat moved by 581 as needed. In a defensive mode, the armor closes in around the eye, to protect it. When surprised, the armor goes up, somewhat like a raised eyebrow. A bit cartoonish to be sure, but it is harder than you might think to convey emotion.

...When surprised, the armor goes up, somewhat like a raised eyebrow. A bit cartoonish to be sure, but it is harder than you might think to convey emotion.

Yeah, Taking cues from the Portal Cores and Harry101UK's work, I can understand that. I gotta imagine this is even harder, given the lack of frames/second. Looks so good! I gotta start on my own now!

Yeah, Taking cues from the Portal Cores and Harry101UK's work, I can understand that. I gotta imagine this is even harder, given the lack of frames/second. Looks so good! I gotta start on my own now!

I have never played Portal, but just looked it up and yes, that is exactly what it is like!

Oh my gosh foxleader I've missed you!

Things are looking great Art! The behind the scenes part 2 was awesome. I too was getting a Portal vibe from the sketches and expression, but more Wheatley from portal 2. It may be cartoony, but it's fun too.

Oh my gosh foxleader I've missed you!

Things are looking great Art! The behind the scenes part 2 was awesome. I too was getting a Portal vibe from the sketches and expression, but more Wheatley from portal 2. It may be cartoony, but it's fun too.

its good to be back, plus work has me busy my boss is flip flopping with my job right now so hope to get some more work soon so I can get back to projects but right now I'm going down a much tougher project, ill have pics soon I hope.

and as I said art fail safe I don't want some forerunner going sky net/ cortana on us.

Very abstract, it seems. I feel like the struggle depicted in the comic is reminiscent of the early days of grade school, and...*the academy*

haha

I'ma need more, though. Keep it coming!

The Making of 581 - Part 3

As I mentioned at the end of part 2, we completed concept work in Oct of last year and began talking with David Dawson about modeling. David does amazing work. We gave him parameters and he immediately began modeling up the base ancilla. His work was excellent, but we wanted to more closely follow the game asset, so we had David remodel the game asset to ensure the base ancilla was correct. Here is the initial freehand work vs the game asset.

03 - From Scratch vs Game Asset 2.png

Once we had the base nailed down, David we quickly got all the armor in place and got a basic skin.

05 - Model.jpg 06b - Rendering.jpg

We initially planned to use 405th colors for 581, and played with various iterations of that idea.

09 - Model.jpg

While this was a very good look, I was still falling back to the Master Chief colors because that is how I had always envisioned the character. We moved from blues to greens.

10 - Color.jpg

This along with more tweaks and small changes, especially to the inner wing details and lateral armor plating, than David probably wants to remember resulted in our final ancilla look.

12 - Final Render.jpg

The last step was to create emotions for 581. This is much harder than it looks but we had already gone through the exercise with CJ so we had David apply them to the model:

13 - Emotes.jpg

As I am writing this, it all sounds simplistic and easy, but there was an unbelievable amount of back and forth, tweaking and retweaking minor details, especially between Asgardianhammer and David. Both were patient through the whole process, even when we had to restart several areas. The end result speaks to that patience and dedication.

14 - Animated Emotes.gif

What are we doing now? We are having David go back and rework his model to be printable.
Accodirnng to HaloNation the ancilla's base size is Dimensions: 1' 11" x 1' 8"... almost 2ft across. Because that size is so unwieldy, we are looking at creating one that is 13.5" wide by 15", roughly 2/3 life-size. We would also like to offer keychains and some smaller, desktop sized versions as well. Time will tell.

SWEET! thanks Andrew for the awesome comic, Mind if I share this around as well?
Please do! Depending on the social media you're sharing it on, tag either 405th Infantry Division on Facebook, @405thinfantry on Instagram, or @405th on Twitter! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back