1. 581-Erudite Watch
    Greetings Guest! I am the NEW guide of the 405th Infantry Division. I am 581. Surely, you are asking yourself, who is this fascinating entity and what is he about? Fear not! The staff of this great community has cleverly created a comic to share my backstory with you. Click HERE to learn more!

Dismiss Notice

581 - A HALO Story from the 405th

Discussion in 'News and Updates' started by Art Andrews, May 27, 2018.

1. RagtagVenom

RagtagVenom

I am 1000% on board with this! I love the idea of having our own monitor; he looks like we reprogrammed and repurposed him! Excited to see more of this comic!

Art Andrews likes this.
  2. JD of Asgard

JD of Asgard

Alright, I didn't quite get the idea the first time I heard about it. But seeing this makes it all crystal clear. I love it all. That artwork is amazing and I can't wait to see the rest of the story!

Dirtdives and Art Andrews like this.
  3. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke RXO 405th Regiment Officer

To be honest I'm probably more excited about the Art Andrew's behind the scenes installments than the actual comic. But still loving the whole thing!

4. RagtagVenom

RagtagVenom

YES! We NEED a Physical one for the booth! Have a stand there for him “Floating” and then move him around or take him down for photo ops

5. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

(y) All good now, I can read the whole message! You guys are all over this. Award winning customer service!! Thanks

Dirtdives likes this.
  6. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner

Nailed it. We looked long and hard at size and scaling. Based on the game, an ancilla is HUGE, much larger than you might imagine! We want him to be big, but reasonable. We are currently looking at about 13.5" wide by 15" tall.

7. Art Andrews

There are sure to be some who ask "why do we need this" or simply don't understand for other reasons. The truth is, we didn't NEED to do this, but it simply grew organically from the desire for an avatar/icon here on the site. Glad you are onboard.

Our artists, CJ Franks and David Dawson did an amazing job. They were both incredibly patient with a ridiculous amount of revisions.

8. Art Andrews

:lol It is all smiles now, but let me tell you, that story is being seriously whitewashed to be all fun and excitement. I can't believe how much work went into something that was seemingly so simple, but I am very happy to share the highlights with you!

9. Badkitty

Badkitty New Member

Wow I like this 581. I hope that we see alot more of him and his story!!

10. SavedbyGraceG12

SavedbyGraceG12 Well-Known Member

Alright, I have to ask. Is there a OBJ file of 581? It be a awesome prop to make out of Pepakura! Or is that 2d artwork?

edit: I may have jumped the gun, looks like someone might of asked that already.

11. Art Andrews

Pages one and two have been uploaded to the first post! Check them out!

12. Oniyagi

Oniyagi New Member

Yeah... I'mma need me a 581 prop. A decal for my car. A remote control version. One built around the family Roomba. A plushie (ummm, for my wife of course, I don't have stuffed animals or nothing...). The dog costume version.

13. Art Andrews

Pages three and four have been uploaded to the first post! Check them out!

14. TinyTim

TinyTim New Member

Been a while since I was last here... Holy crap, Church gets a flying compatriot! Love the BTS of the making, I guess this means I'll have to start modeling an armor set to print... \

Art, when you guys designed 581, did you think of it as an armored ancilla core? or was it a unique unit that had the armor set integrated?

Great comic and can't wait to see the rest...

Art Andrews likes this.
  15. Art Andrews

The Making of 581 - Part 2

While I really liked CJ's early designs, something wasn't quite working for me. One of my favorite Halo photos is Master Chief from Halo 4. I particularly like his shoulder armor.

Halo_4_Master_Chief.jpg

I imagined two of those draped over the ancilla to protect it. We asked CJ to rework that armored ancilla with that in mind. We also decided the armor plates on the bottom of the ancilla would somewhat represent "arms" although they are more for gesturing and emotion than any type of lifting. Here is some of CJ's work from that time:

Erudite Watch - Concept 06, 07.jpg Erudite Watch - Concept 06a.jpg Erudite Watch - Concept 08a.jpg

We were fairly happy with this design and even had CJ create "emotions" for the ancilla.

Erudite Watch - Concept 08 Emotions.jpg

With the concept artwork done we began to look into having the ancilla created as a digital 3D object and turned to David Dawson for help. Almost immediately we ran into an issue. David would need to create the base ancilla from scratch, something I didn't want because I wanted it to be based on a game asset to ensure it was true to character. As mentioned previously, we originally based the ancilla on Halo 3, but we didn't have the game assets for that. We did have assets for the ancilla from Halo 4. This sent us back to the drawing-board and concept art as the Halo 4 ancilla is quite different than 3; much wider and more squat. Here are CJ's drawings based on the Halo 4 ancilla.

Erudite Watch - Concept 09a.jpg Erudite Watch - Concept 09b.jpg Erudite Watch - Concept 10a.jpg Erudite Watch - Concept 10b.jpg

This became the final concept art that David would work from to create the digital version of 581.

While this doesn't seem like much it takes us all the way through the end of October 2017. I'll share more next week!

BlazedStarbon and Schankerz like this.
  16. Art Andrews

The idea was always that this was a standard, Halo 4 style Forerunner ancilla that has had UNSC/Master Chief style armor plating attached to his carapace. To be more specific, the armor hovers above the carapace and can be somewhat moved by 581 as needed. In a defensive mode, the armor closes in around the eye, to protect it. When surprised, the armor goes up, somewhat like a raised eyebrow. A bit cartoonish to be sure, but it is harder than you might think to convey emotion.

17. TinyTim

TinyTim New Member

Yeah, Taking cues from the Portal Cores and Harry101UK's work, I can understand that. I gotta imagine this is even harder, given the lack of frames/second. Looks so good! I gotta start on my own now!

18. Art Andrews

I have never played Portal, but just looked it up and yes, that is exactly what it is like!

19. Art Andrews

Pages 5 and 6 are up!

20. foxleader

foxleader

okay I like this light blud but just to be on the safe side I think we should ask redshirt if you can barrow his laser just as a fail safe this one gets out of hand lol. but jokes aside its good to see you back Adam, and second your one of the reason I joined up.

21. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke RXO 405th Regiment Officer

Oh my gosh foxleader I've missed you!

Things are looking great Art! The behind the scenes part 2 was awesome. I too was getting a Portal vibe from the sketches and expression, but more Wheatley from portal 2. It may be cartoony, but it's fun too.

FANGS and Asgardianhammer like this.