581 - A HALO Story from the 405th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had my first introduction to 581. But 581’s little dialogue box doesn’t play well with mobile. You can’t scroll the box and all the text was cut off top bottom. All I got was the middle of the intro text. Sorry I should have taken a screen shot. It could just be safari as well I’m not sure.

Thanks for letting us know. We will work on getting that corrected!

For those who want to know more about the creation of 581, here is a little bit to tide you over until next weeks comic pages.

The Making of 581 - Part 1

581 started as us looking for a way to serve up notices and information to members in a more interesting and personalized way. Our forum software has a lot of opportunity to communicate with members in an automated way, but it can feel very impersonal. We originally intended to simply use a one color silhouette of an ancilla. We started with this image from Halo Waypoints:

halo waypoints ancilla.jpeg

In Jan of 2017, I asked Asgardianhammer to use this image as a starting point, but as we moved forward, it just didn't feel like enough and we decided to create something completely of our own. I love the idea of "up-armoring" and feel that if the 405th adopted an ancilla, surely they would "up-armor" it. We initially started with a Halo 3 ancilla as our base and with the help of CJ Franks, this was our first efforts.

Erudite Watch - Concept 01.jpg Erudite Watch - Concept 02.jpg Erudite Watch - Concept 03.jpeg Erudite Watch - Concept 03a.jpg Erudite Watch - Concept 04, 05.jpg

We also began working on a name. We started with 411 (you will see this number on some of the concept art) and thanks to a lot of effort on Asgardianhammer's part we went through a LONG list of names including: Resolute Spire, Attestation Recount, Evident Liaise, Recount Antecedent, Erudite Tidings, Considerate Biblioteca, just to name a few.

This takes us through early March of 2017. I'll share more next week!

There's a "dismiss" button. :)

Yeah, smartphone screens are hard to see on at times. the button is on the top right corner.
Ya I had found the dismiss up in the corner. I just wanted to read the whole message from 581, but I wasn’t able to. Plus sadly I’m always on mobile. I’m rarely on desktop, unless I’m downloading or working on files.
Anyway look forward to seeing more of this 581.

I am 1000% on board with this! I love the idea of having our own monitor; he looks like we reprogrammed and repurposed him! Excited to see more of this comic!

Alright, I didn't quite get the idea the first time I heard about it. But seeing this makes it all crystal clear. I love it all. That artwork is amazing and I can't wait to see the rest of the story!

YES! We NEED a Physical one for the booth! Have a stand there for him “Floating” and then move him around or take him down for photo ops

Nailed it. We looked long and hard at size and scaling. Based on the game, an ancilla is HUGE, much larger than you might imagine! We want him to be big, but reasonable. We are currently looking at about 13.5" wide by 15" tall.

Alright, I didn't quite get the idea the first time I heard about it. But seeing this makes it all crystal clear. I love it all. That artwork is amazing and I can't wait to see the rest of the story!

There are sure to be some who ask "why do we need this" or simply don't understand for other reasons. The truth is, we didn't NEED to do this, but it simply grew organically from the desire for an avatar/icon here on the site. Glad you are onboard.

Our artists, CJ Franks and David Dawson did an amazing job. They were both incredibly patient with a ridiculous amount of revisions.

To be honest I'm probably more excited about the Art Andrew's behind the scenes installments than the actual comic. But still loving the whole thing!

:lol It is all smiles now, but let me tell you, that story is being seriously whitewashed to be all fun and excitement. I can't believe how much work went into something that was seemingly so simple, but I am very happy to share the highlights with you!

Wow I like this 581. I hope that we see alot more of him and his story!!

Pages three and four have been uploaded to the first post! Check them out!

Been a while since I was last here... Holy crap, Church gets a flying compatriot! Love the BTS of the making, I guess this means I'll have to start modeling an armor set to print... \

Art, when you guys designed 581, did you think of it as an armored ancilla core? or was it a unique unit that had the armor set integrated?

Great comic and can't wait to see the rest...

The Making of 581 - Part 2

While I really liked CJ's early designs, something wasn't quite working for me. One of my favorite Halo photos is Master Chief from Halo 4. I particularly like his shoulder armor.

Halo_4_Master_Chief.jpg

I imagined two of those draped over the ancilla to protect it. We asked CJ to rework that armored ancilla with that in mind. We also decided the armor plates on the bottom of the ancilla would somewhat represent "arms" although they are more for gesturing and emotion than any type of lifting. Here is some of CJ's work from that time:

Erudite Watch - Concept 06, 07.jpg Erudite Watch - Concept 06a.jpg Erudite Watch - Concept 08a.jpg

We were fairly happy with this design and even had CJ create "emotions" for the ancilla.

Erudite Watch - Concept 08 Emotions.jpg

With the concept artwork done we began to look into having the ancilla created as a digital 3D object and turned to David Dawson for help. Almost immediately we ran into an issue. David would need to create the base ancilla from scratch, something I didn't want because I wanted it to be based on a game asset to ensure it was true to character. As mentioned previously, we originally based the ancilla on Halo 3, but we didn't have the game assets for that. We did have assets for the ancilla from Halo 4. This sent us back to the drawing-board and concept art as the Halo 4 ancilla is quite different than 3; much wider and more squat. Here are CJ's drawings based on the Halo 4 ancilla.

Erudite Watch - Concept 09a.jpg Erudite Watch - Concept 09b.jpg Erudite Watch - Concept 10a.jpg Erudite Watch - Concept 10b.jpg

This became the final concept art that David would work from to create the digital version of 581.

While this doesn't seem like much it takes us all the way through the end of October 2017. I'll share more next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back