Props Altair's Hidden Blade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chazodude said:
its a shame not to see your designs (plans?) but i see your point. (sorry for the pun!)
good luck!

I won't totally shut you guys out of the design. You just won't get dimensions and measurements from me. All that stuff takes a lot of time to figure out, but the proof that it's doable will be shown. A basic assembly will show how I put it together.

-Magnum

Last edited by a moderator:
23Magnum said:
I won't totally shut you guys out of the design. You just won't get dimensions and measurements from me. All that stuff takes a lot of time to figure out, but the proof that it's doable will be shown. A basic assembly will show how I put it together.

-Magnum
alright sounds good to me, i like what i see so far, cant wait to see the final product.

Good luck on this, man. Looks like this is going to be a professional piece. Too bad you won't post the final, working schematics, though I do understand your reasoning.

There's a link to the schematics and mechanics of an OTF switchblade in the other thread that he linked to. Should be interesting to see how you can use that design in your blade.

Update guys...

Unfortunately, it's about stepping backwards.

Thought I had everything worked out till I got to making the activation switch. I had a few ideas on how to activate both parts at the same time, but realized it's a might bit difficult or near impossible without making the whole thing twice the size it is already.

Oh well, stuff like this happens all the time when engineering stuff this complicated. Back to the drawing bored.

Some good news though. I had a great idea how to just use one of the mechanisms and still move both parts out at the same time. It'll involve a simple system of pulleys/sprockets and a belt/chain. This should make things a lot easier and still stick to the idea that I'm using 12 century technology.

Love the encouragement guys, I just hope I won't let you down.

-Magnum

Updated First Post!

Ok, as you can see, a new picture attachment is there with a few of the inside workings. Still nothing specific, but it gives you a better idea of what's going on inside.

-Magnum

i have a question, do you want it to shoot out and shoot back in, because i would be simpler if you had it shoot out and lock, then you hold a button and push it back in.

Damien said:
i have a question, do you want it to shoot out and shoot back in, because i would be simpler if you had it shoot out and lock, then you hold a button and push it back in.

If you look at the blueprints, at the link I provided, of the OFT Swithblade, it shows how you can shoot the blade outward by pushing the button foward, then have it lock in place, and then push the button backward to fire it inward. I'll attach some system of string/cable to my pinky finger, rotate my hand one way to pull the switch, and rotate it the other way to push the switch back.

So, in essence, no need to reload or even touch the device with your other hand. Well besides the safety lock I'm going to install when it's not in use.

If you have any other questions, just fire my way. I'd be happy to answer them in a reasonable fashion.

-Magnum

i have started work on my new blade, it is wooden.
i will post pics once i get home on sunday.
it is a gravity knife and will work by a locking mech and gravity (duh)

ok i have drawn a plan of my one, any tips about how to mechanise it magnum?
please pm me with your plans or tips!

plans are to faint to see here are the .mov and pics:

[attachment=2448:Assassins_Blade.mov]
[attachment=2449:photo_36.jpg]
[attachment=2450:photo_37.jpg]

please help me!!!!!
the locking mech will be done soon, it uses a Z peice.

anyway well done with the design, its interesting to see the inside.
good luck,
chazodude

Chazodude said:
ok i have drawn a plan of my one, any tips about how to mechanise it magnum?
please pm me with your plans or tips!
Sorry bout that, didn't see you edited your post with an update till just now.

Hmm...I like it so far, but as far as mechanizing it...not sure just yet.

Reason is, I'm planing on using metal(probably thin sheet aluminum), and some the the materials I may use may be too strong for wood.

BUT! I did run across something by accident the other day when cleaning up my house. An extendable spring loaded current rod. It was all bent up and mangled thanks to my dog, but when I was looking at it to see how bad it was, I saw the inside spring. I thought to myself, "Hey I can use this!" It's pretty heavy duty spring, but maybe you could find another smaller/weaker spring rod than that, and use it's spring. They're pretty cheap.

Chazodude said:
the locking mech will be done soon, it uses a Z peice.
Remind me, what's a Z-piece? Do you mean what they use in mechanical pens and pencils?

-------
My plans aren't totally done yet, but I'm getting there. Thing is that I'm not even sure they'll work till I start building the stupid thing, but I pretty confident.

I did get Assassin's Creed Collector's Edition for Christmas from my little sis(she awesome in my book now), and I've been playing the heck out of it. There are also some shots of the blade mech in the art book that came with it, which will be great for reference shots. This means I get to redesign the outside part once again, but it will look a lot more simple now. I've just been going off artwork that's posted on the net till now.

Well I hope that helps a bit, at least for now. Keep me updated on it, and let me know if you need anymore help.

Phase 2 should hopefully be done by end of next week at the earliest.

-Magnum

Chazodude said:
the z piece is hard to describe.
i found a video on youtube that uses it, look closely and you see the the crook of the z hold the blade in and the right end keeps it out.
here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w4rBspaW9Y

I couldn't really make it out too well, but I think I know what you mean now.
If you're able to then, get me some dimensions on your mech so I know how big it is compared to my design. Maybe then I'll have a better idea how I could help you.
Mine will be in the range of 7-9" in length fully retracted.

I also checked out some related links on YouTube while I was there. Still seems that no one has made a FULLY automated blade yet. Guess that's somewhat good news for me, :D .

Hey 23 thanks for the help in the other topic, I would also like to make one with one of those flat springs if at all possible.

my blade is 6.2 inches or 160 mm, whichever you are more comft able with.
when extended it is 20 inches.
here is a pic of it on me showing the size in comparison to my hand:
[attachment=2477:photo_42.jpg]

i have also bought the materials today for my costume. i have some leather, whiteish denim and red (?) whatever it is! :)
i'll post my progress and patterns if possible later on this week.

also give this movie a look, it was made by the people at dreamworks studios and has what appears to be a working knife at about 1 min:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTmfbc1XPGw

thanks for your help.

Chazodude said:
also give this movie a look, it was made by the people at dreamworks studios and has what appears to be a working knife at about 1 min:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTmfbc1XPGw

Interesting...though I don't really trust the video. They used a lot of special effects in that video, I mean it is Dreamworks after all. It could be real, but it still looked like he had to flick his wrist down to 'throw' the blade outward, but I wonder how he retracted it.

Well maybe when I'm done and have my video posted, I'll put it as a response video to that one or something, haha :p .

yeah, watching it again makes me think that someone pulled it up with string or something as there was no movement at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back