And Now, Let The Wild Rumpus Start..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drakku

Hey guys. Here's another costume I'm doing, but this one I'll actually get done. Haha.

I'll chart my progress with pictures as I go. It's going to be done in time for the midnight release of Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are October 16th. I grew up loving that book, so I wanted to do something special for it!

And without further delay, my hat!

10425_182693864847_680884847_3855583_1903051_n.jpg
10425_182694159847_680884847_3855584_6933210_n.jpg

I still need to attach the ears to the actual hood (hence why I'm holding them), and sew the flaps inwards on the bottom of it so they're not so thick.

10425_182694614847_680884847_3855591_7981049_n.jpg

At least the crown is coming along nicely.

Hope ya'll enjoy.

Anyone else planning to do something 'wild' for the movie? ;D

Haha, nice. Atleast you got something for a movie release. I'm still working on a hobbit costume for the hobbit. Problem is I'm 6'2 so I'm a super-hobbit or something. lol

:3 Thanks everyone! I'm super excited to get it done. The majority of it should be done tomorrow, I just need to dye it a mid-tone gray and sew on the raccoon tail sometime during the week. I also am remaking the claws out of clay, but that'll take what.. an hour?

Spartan-124 said:
Haha, nice. Atleast you got something for a movie release. I'm still working on a hobbit costume for the hobbit. Problem is I'm 6'2 so I'm a super-hobbit or something. lol
Haha, nice. You could always wear padding on your knees and wobble around awkwardly?

Underdogg13 said:
The book was great, but I don't have any clue what you're trying to build, haha.
Oh noooes.. but it's Max. Lol. He's the main guy, finding Google image pic..

max_wild.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that's really cool! I loved the book growing up too... I hope Spike Lee does the movie justice.... Hey, are you going to have the costume done to wear it to the movie! LOL Take pictures that night and post em' (if you can)! :lol

Yeah, I really hope the movie doesn't screw anything up. I mean, the book is pretty short. How are they going to pull off a full-length movie..

I don't really mind artistic license, but they better at least hit the morale.

And yes, I am planning on wearing this to the midnight release. ;D

Finished sewing the body, mostly, just a bit earlier, and threw together this:

10425_183219854847_680884847_3862907_5241151_n.jpg

My shorts are bunched up which gives me that uh.. interesting lump. I'm going to have to decide what to wear underneathe the costume. It's going to be warm, so I don't need to worry about long sleeves, etc. Probably a tank top and some booty shorts. WOO!

Next up are the gloves. I'm going to completely improv on them, so hopefully they'll turn out okay. Then the hat, I need to stitch the ears into place and remove the cardboard (for now), and sew the back of the hat to the back of the neck so it's a hood.

.. theeen attach the gloves.. and then throw the whole suit into the machine to dye it. :3 Then maybe I won't look like a failed rabbit.

Then whiskers, attach the claws, put the cardboard back in to stiffen the ears, then attach the tail once I receive it in the mail.

And the body will be done!

The crown, I'm going to paper mache the inside to build up some rigidity, paint it, etc. Then build the sceptre. That shouldn't take long, though, I've got all the pieces, it's just a matter of putting it together.

As I mentioned to Leatherneck, this kind of costuming I'm good at. Haha!

.. I hope Spike Lee does the movie justice....

The director is Spike Jonze, not Lee. I didn't think Spike was a very common name but maybe I'm wrong :lol

I'm definitely going to the midnight show of this.

Oh hey look, a glove.

10425_183317714847_680884847_3864644_1397745_n.jpg

Jeez, that took way longer than it should have..

I need your opinion, guys: attach it to the suit or leave it baggy like it is in the pic? In the book, it's attached. In the movie, it's baggy. What should I do? D: WHAT SHOULD I DOOO?!

Still determined to finish all the sewing today, despite the long setback that the glove design caused.. lol.

looks great.

I'd say attached. or atleast well fitted. you may want popcorn and I don't see it being pleasant with all that fuzz

I'd say sew it onto the sleeve, It'll look a lot better, but then if you leave it in "glove format" then it'll be much easier to take off

BrandonT98 said:
I'd say attached. or atleast well fitted. you may want popcorn and I don't see it being pleasant with all that fuzz

Spartan-124 said:
I'd say sew it onto the sleeve, It'll look a lot better, but then if you leave it in "glove format" then it'll be much easier to take off

Hm. Well, you both have good points. I'll taper the sleeves in a bit and add some extra length to the gloves at the wrists. Should keep my arm from showing, yet still allow me to remove the gloves if I need to use my real hands.

Thanks guys. ;D

So I took the hat with me to work, and I only managed to get half the ear sewn on. Too many people were at the rental, and I had to patrol and enforce the rules the entire time.. since NOBODY bothers to read the rule boards. [/rant]

I'll have some progress tomorrow in the morning. I usually go back to sleep after water aerobics, but I'll go ahead and stay up and work on the costume between then and when I go to class. Oh the sacrifices I make. Lol. I'll do all the claws.

Any other opinions on anything else would be great, guys! Hope this is making you want to reread the book. :)

Spase said:
YES!!! another fan... what i was making for the release just for fun.

It was yooou! I couldn't for the life of me remember who was making that mask, but I remembered seeing it in progress in another thread. Are you going to be able to finish it in time? Let me know if you do, I wanna see. ;D

9519_184352514847_680884847_3878252_271280_n.jpg

Claws freshly baked.

I'm thinking I'll make a skeletal foot, if you will, out of cardboard to affix the claws on the toes to that will hide under the fur. The claws on the fingers, though, I'll snip little holes in the tips of the gloves and poke them through, and hot glue them into place. That should work, ne?

The ears were proving more of a hassle to sew on than I imagined. I'm holding off on fully attaching them until I get the suit dyed. Was going to happen tonight, but I'm too tired, so it'll happen tomorrow. Once it's dyed, it's a matter of attaching the velcro to the torso, the buttons, putting the cardboard supports back in the ears and finishing the sewing, gluing the claws into the gloves, putting the elastic on the feet and attaching the claws to those. Then, as long as my tail comes in soon, just sewing that onto the butt whenever it comes in. If not, I'm doing some emergency tail-looking tomorrow so I have a backup plan.

Hope ya'll like!

That's pretty damn awesome Drakku! Would be pretty fun to wear to the release I would imagine :D Make sure you get some photos at the release too, looks like we don't get it until Dec so I'll have to live vicariously through everyone that can see it in a few days ;)

sandwich???

looks pretty nice there Drakku, only 4 days left... Givin your record, i dont think you will make it (prove me wrong, im rooting for ya) :D

Belakor said:
That's pretty damn awesome Drakku! Would be pretty fun to wear to the release I would imagine :D Make sure you get some photos at the release too, looks like we don't get it until Dec so I'll have to live vicariously through everyone that can see it in a few days ;)

Oh I'll get photos. And I'm sure there's going to be a lot of photos taken of me. Rofl. I'm tempted to wear it to university on Friday, I only have one class.. ;D Hmm.

And that sucks about December. D:

I'll try to keep spoilers to a low, but I'll let you know if it's good or not. I'm really hoping they do good..

DreadMullet said:
sandwich??? NOOOOWAAAI!

looks pretty nice there Drakku, only 4 days left... Givin your record, i dont think you will make it (prove me wrong, im rooting for ya) :D

D:< NO SANDWICH FER YOU.

;P And yeah, I do have a pretty uh.. shoddy record thus far, with Arby and my ODST both being on hold. But I'm used to this costuming, I'll have it done soon. Sadly enough, the only stuff I'm concerned about are the props! Haha. But I just need to sit down and work on them.

You'll see, I'll prove you so wrong, you'll owe ME a sandwich.

Edit: I also decided I'm going to do the pads on the hands! But that's a last-priority kind of thing. It's definitely book-based, and by dying the suit gray, I'm leaning toward movie stuff..

Also, I figured if I can't get the feet to work how I want them to, I've got black All-Stars, which is what he's wearing in the movie.. lol.

I'm also planning on taking a long roll outside in the dirt to age it up a bit. I'll record it. Lol.

Edit 2: My cat found the extra fabric.

Photo8.jpg

corby said:
The director is Spike Jonze, not Lee. I didn't think Spike was a very common name but maybe I'm wrong :lol

I'm definitely going to the midnight show of this.

Crap, yeah your right I was half asleep that night I was thinking of someone else LOL Lee's the other director... LOL :rolleyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back