Props Another ma37 - wood prop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Juliet76 on my thread, I'm a little star struck now! You're blueprint is a tremendous help.

Don't be too star struck ARCsaber, I just trace some pictures in CAD, you guys are the ones that make something out of them that's what really impresses me. ;)

In other news I've come across a scenario thats a bit of a mine field. I intended to carry this rifle once finished with a new suit of I have time to multiple events this year, but Victorian weapon laws now look to be a problem...

...I sent them an email instead, turns out they have a system for this sort of thing which is good, doubt they'll be a halo fan but you never know.

Sounds like you're on the right track there now. You'd be surprised the amount of questions like this the weapons licencing division gets asked and they are a lot more understanding about it than an officer at a station from my experience. Be honest with whatever officer you deal with and that includes the origins of the prop- it's from a computer game and is not specifically based of any real world weapon in it's design, hell it doesn't even have any form of sighting! Most if not all of the people you'll deal with there know their weapons and should consider the MA37 no problems as a replica prop. Just make sure you don't take it out anywhere other than the con or event location and I really don't think you'll have any problems.;)

Got a message back a while back from the police saying as long as I use the red tip I should be allright (though there's a large disclaimer for those reading this for their own builds)
Sounds like you're on the right track there now. You'd be surprised the amount of questions like this the weapons licencing division gets asked and they are a lot more understanding about it than an officer at a station from my experience. Be honest with whatever officer you deal with and that includes the origins of the prop- it's from a computer game and is not specifically based of any real world weapon in it's design, hell it doesn't even have any form of sighting! Most if not all of the people you'll deal with there know their weapons and should consider the MA37 no problems as a replica prop. Just make sure you don't take it out anywhere other than the con or event location and I really don't think you'll have any problems.
wink.png
Wisewords, and very true about the lack of sights. Lucky I don't need to take public transport around! Thanks for your help.

So I'm about to dive back into this project, it can't just sit around ignored its been almost 2 months! Plucking up the courage to try a barrel, heres just some small details:
Sides for the clip
P1030360640x480.jpg
P1030361640x480.jpg

The grip. I've used a foam sheet and some mesh material with glue coats, gives a nice feel
P1030362640x480.jpg
P1030365640x480.jpg

P1030367640x480.jpg
P1030368640x480.jpg
P1030369640x480.jpg
P1030371640x480.jpg

Thanks for reading again everyone

Damn ive missed alot, last time I saw your rifle you had only started. It is looking great. It makes mine look cr@p compared to yours, keep up the good work. I guess I better make some improvements on mine :p (though between you and me, your better at making game props, whereas i'm better at playing them). I think when I get some spare time i'll start building a rocket launcher or something... Keep up the good work.

Damn ive missed alot, last time I saw your rifle you had only started. It is looking great. It makes mine look cr@p compared to yours, keep up the good work. I guess I better make some improvements on mine :p (though between you and me, your better at making game props, whereas i'm better at playing them). I think when I get some spare time i'll start building a rocket launcher or something... Keep up the good work.
Thanks, but I also win the occasional game against you!:D

So, real quick update: ....she's ready to paint!
P1030391640x480.jpg

The business end:
P1030393640x480.jpg

Had to make my own torch as I couldn't find one the right shape AND length (the lower grip/chamber is hollow so I didn't want to drill right into it) The downside to this is that battery better last forever because I can't get it out. By the time it dies the novelty will of worn off anyway...
HUD looks pretty good in low light but, alas, it is hard to photograph lighting effects:
P1030394640x480.jpg

This time I have an excuse for not having done much, I've started an ODST suit to try and outdo my spartan (maybe I'll be able to bend down in this one), so feel free to check that's thread out. Next update maybe, just maybe, the rifle will be painted and decaled!

Nice man! Do you plan on molding this ? (you may have said it in a prior reply , but I JUST found this thread)

woahhh i wish my AR came out this good!
Thanks, but even without considering your use of (argueably) harder materials and length of time yours is still mighty impressive!

So, I'm looking for that perfect paint to set this off. Normally I'd buy a small sample pot from bunnings but they aren't very metalic for this, so does anyone have any suggestions on specific paints I should use (looking for acrylic non-spray paint on the cheaper side) remembering I'm in australia?

I gotta finish this thing, I've drawn it out WAY to long:
P1030398.jpg

^Had to wire torch to HUD's battery as the smaller battery for the torch died (might of shorted but really it was never meant for high current).Shouldn't be to noticable once painted
P1030402.jpg

P1030403.jpg

^First coat. The "raw metal" that appears when the darker layers are scratched away (the in game models pretty scratched up!)
If anyones reading this and thinking of giving it a go a) do it b) it can be very relaxing if done slowly, so have fun with it!

This is insanely good! i cant wait to see it painted!
Thanks again, I'm loving the encouragement. Heres the basic paint job (no stripes, decals etc yet which together may contrast to make this look darker (there's my artsy talk again (look, brackets in brackets!))):
P1030413640x480.jpg

This just from mixing colours I had. What do you think? The lighting in the photo makes it a little lighter, but do you think it's accurate? I've gone for a rough damaged look to cover up the fact I'm not great at smooth painting. If you really hate it do tell me, this is the make or break stage!

Looks awesome. As for the paint looks great. And after you clear coat it in flat it will hide any paint lines any ways :) But as I was say that is one awesome looking weapon system, I the amount of effort and detail that went into it.

Thanks again everyone!

Looks awesome. As for the paint looks great. And after you clear coat it in flat it will hide any paint lines any ways :) But as I was say that is one awesome looking weapon system, I the amount of effort and detail that went into it.

Well, you were the deciding vote! As for the paintlines I actually decided to leave in the roughness (they're not to obvious anyway) to continue the rough/used look I've gone for.
Yesterday I painted the other side, edges base etc, and today the yellow highlights, details and touchups.
So, from end of nov to end of feb I've (very) casually worked on this but with uni literally starting up in days it was time to finish, so here's the finished paintjob:
P1030415640x480.jpg

I've left out the small text on the side because for the effort no-ones going to notice. It will be nice and sunny tommorow so I'll go get some high quality well lit shots for everyone (thus finishing this once and for all!!!!) Enjoy!
P.S. Special mention to bungie's art team, look at the pictures with and without the yellow highlights, doesn't it make such a big difference for such little colour. Contrast ftw!

Looking fine, well done. You mentioned you backlit plastic and paper for the integrated round-counter, what kind of plastic and paper did you use?

Wow man this looks really good. :) I love the details you put into it. Great wood work, it doesnt look as hard as i thought it might. Cant wait to see pics of it with your suit.

Wow man this looks really good. :) I love the details you put into it. Great wood work, it doesnt look as hard as i thought it might. Cant wait to see pics of it with your suit.
With patients and a clear mind it isn't that difficult no, thanks for the kind words

Looking fine, well done. You mentioned you backlit plastic and paper for the integrated round-counter, what kind of plastic and paper did you use?
The counter is just word art on normal printing paper, the plastic your average thin acetate used in binders etc, just simple stuff I had lying around!

Sadly I didn't get to the photos today, wanted to do a nice set up but I was out a bit and it was a cosey 38 (that's centigrate), do it tommorow I promise just not in suit and give my thanks to everyone who commented/helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back