BBC News: Lucas loses Star Wars copyright case at Supreme Court!

Status
Not open for further replies.
George Lucas does seem to file suit against everything that slightly resembles Star Wars (Surprised he didn't sue longshot for his Chief w/ Lightsaber!), so it's well served that he should lose one of these suits. I'm glad the original designer won the copyright :)

But the thing is that, from what I've been reading on the RPF, is that he isn't the "original" designer of the Storm trooper. Brian Muir, who also made the original Vader helmet, made the Storm Trooper armor, and Liz Moore made the helmet. So this is actually a sad day for justice. Mr. Ainsworth should be ashamed of himself.

I'm not the biggest Lucas fan, so it's not him I'm trying to defend, but it's the real people who did the work, who deserve the credit, that I am trying to defend.

/rant.

But the thing s that, from what I've been reading on the RPF, is that he isn't the "original" designer of the Storm trooper. Brian Muir, who also made the original Vader helmet, made the Storm Trooper armor, and Liz Moore made the helmet. So this is actually a sad day for justice. Mr. Ainsworth should be ashamed of himself.

I'm not the biggest Lucas fan, so it's not him I'm trying to defend, but it's the real people who did the work, who deserve the credit, that I am trying to defend.
/rant.

Cool story bro.

But the thing s that, from what I've been reading on the RPF, is that he isn't the "original" designer of the Storm trooper. Brian Muir, who also made the original Vader helmet, made the Storm Trooper armor, and Liz Moore made the helmet. So this is actually a sad day for justice. Mr. Ainsworth should be ashamed of himself.

/rant.

I would agree with you, however on the article it says he was the original designer and creator of the Storm Trooper Helmets he is now selling.

Also, it says in the article that Lucas is re-releasing all of the films in 3D? -Nerdgasm-

I'm not the biggest 3D fan, but I'm happy that they are being re-released to bring up some more Star Wars love.

Don't get all to excited. This was a case in England. Not the US. If Ainsworth tries to sell his stuff in America, our copyright laws would not protect him.

UK's court was wrong to rule in favor of Ainsworth. Just because something is mass produced doesn't mean that the copyright on it becomes less important.

So what is the courts opinion on DVD movies? or CD's? those are mass produced. What about IPods and or software, those are all mass produced as well.

The ruling was stupid.

Cool story bro.
I'm sorry, did I magically end up on Bungie.net? Did I go into the Reach forums?

Ok since I obviously have to, I'll add a TL;DR to my post

TL;DR: Bad decision is bad. Prop makers don't get credit. There you happy?

@Darkrider9: The man is a liar, he is good at making people believe him, however, if you look at the actual trial records, you'll see that he doesn't know how the Storm trooper helmet/armor was even sculpted, molded, and cast. Brian Muir was able to get several people who worked on the production team, photos, etc that prove that he and Liz Moore were the original people behind the armor/helmet.

All Ainsworth is good at is bending the truth.

0k guys, lets not start this into a flame war, I do have to say though, I don't think Shade deserved that remark since he's not trolling, nor was his post TL. This isn't 4chan, /b/ or Encyclopedia Dramatica, lets keep that crap off here and try and get along. :)

Anyhow, is there ANY way for a reappeal? I don't agree with the ruling and even though I can't change it, I'd like at least a second chance.

Anyhow, is there ANY way for a reappeal? I don't agree with the ruling and even though I can't change it, I'd like at least a second chance.

I'm not sure how its done in the UK, but if it was a lower court ruling in America, yes one can appeal to a higher court, to see if the losing party can get the ruling vacated or request a new trial.

Since this is a copyright case, its hard to say.

I'm not a lawyer, but I have to handle IP complaints in my company (specifically I look out for websites that host pirated versions of our titles and I constantly peruse YouTube for violations), in which I forward to my legal staff and I know that the ruling is stupid. So basically what this court told everyone out there: In the UK its okay that someone copies your stuff and mass produces it to sell. Your copyright means nothing to them.

Hello UK, YOU did sign the Berne Convention in 1887. Remember that?

0k guys, lets not start this into a flame war, I do have to say though, I don't think Shade deserved that remark since he's not trolling, nor was his post TL. This isn't 4chan, /b/ or Encyclopedia Dramatica, lets keep that crap off here and try and get along. :)

Your right. I'm sorry, I was tired last night.

@I am Fuzzy Bear: Truce? lol. :p

I do hope there's a way for Lucas can appeal, just so those who really made the props can get the credit they deserve. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back