Belakor's Landfall ODST armor build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belakor

Well, I guess it's time to start this thread now that the ODST files are out (the files can be found here, if you haven't seen them already)
First off, big thanks to SKG for letting me in on the project, it was fun... I like unfolding things :D (as evidenced by the fact that I unfold models that have already been unfolded just for the fun of it :p) and thanks to everyone else who helped on the project, there's too many to list and I don't want to risk missing someone out but you all know who you are :)

Now, to my build:
I've only really been working on it for about six days now, just when I think I'l get back to it something else comes up and I put it off again :rolleyes Anyways...
Here's the big pile of zip-lock bags full of the various armor pieces:
th_IMG_1277.jpg
I think it was 14 or 15 bags in total. I've chosen to not do the little metal clip things in pep, instead I'll be doing all those details with some sheet styrene... which I still need to get.

Some pouches/boxes and a thigh:
th_IMG_1290.jpg th_IMG_1289.jpg
th_IMG_1296.jpg th_IMG_1297.jpg
The first two are of the main chest box, it's not finished which is why it looks a little wonky. In the next one is the main chest box, the right chest box, one back pad and the left thigh in the background (that is also incomplete in this pic)
The last pic is of the smoothed back pad and right chest box, I'll most likely end up moulding and casting these out of some kind of rubber or some other suitable material (probably at the same time I do my Mk VI undersuit)
I've also finished a hip plate but I haven't had a chance to photograph it.

The torso:
th_IMG_1305.jpg th_IMG_1309.jpg th_IMG_1307.jpg
th_IMG_1304.jpg
I'm still smoothing it all out at the moment and I'm probably going to re-work the neck hole a bit... got a little warped ;)
I'll try and find the photos I took of the reinforcing struts that I did for the torso, just in-case others are looking for ideas on how to do that :)

And the V1 NZ-TK ODST helmet:
th_IMG_1212.jpg
I'm in the middle of modifying it right now, the plan is to graft the V2 chin/visor on to the V1 top. I could have just as easily done the full V2 helmet but I had already fiberglassed the first so I'm running with that.

That's it for now, I'll update when I get some photos of the finished thigh, main chest box and hip plate. I'll also be working on finishing the Mk I Iron Man and another couple of small unnamed projects so updates may be slow for a little while.

Stay tuned

Belakor...DUDE! You take on so much projects. And they all look Sweet! This ODST is being built at like...GODLY speed. This will be Awesome. Good luck with your project. :lol: This will Pwn

*Strolls past topic......does double take. Eyes widen.* "Whoa!"
Belakor my man! This work is great.
And like Smilie said, the speed you work at is amazing.
How do you find the time to do it all?
It's as if for every hour we have in a day, Belakor has two. ;)

So nice......

Simply amazing work, and your V1 helm makes mine look terrible. *Goes off to cry in the corner :cry: *

HAhaha WOW as usual Belakor :D I hope the construction isn't too nuts!

Oh, you're gonna try and cast the torso in a rubbery material? SO COOL! I'm jealous! I have no room for anything of that kind :( I can't wait too see all your work when it's done :D

Looks awesome! Really great progress.

Details in styrene. How are going to make the patterns for this? Did you make reprints of the pepakura models or are you doing this some other way?

Nicccccee job so far.
I was curious what was going on with that chopped odst helmet, but forgot to ask you about it... what was wrong with V1's chin? Or is that just to make the visor work? I never got that far on either of my NZ V1 helms.

Sweet stuff. I'll add this to my list of 'Belakor's threads to keep an eye on...'

Ruze789 said:
Sweet stuff. I'll add this to my list of 'Belakor's threads to keep an eye on...'

Isn't that all of them? Anyway, I'm gonna have to find out where you live so that I can get me some Landfall ODST goodness, probably through not so legal methods (j/k).

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, did you really have to take on another awesome project and make the rest of us look bad yet again? Wasn't your recon build awesome enough? :lol:

Nice work! it really is a fun project

Finally have a chance to reply...

@ ODST-RAGE: Thanks

@ Link: Thanks again Link

@ Smilie: I do have way too many project :p I like it though, helps keep things interesting

RedTogusa said:
... It's as if for every hour we have in a day, Belakor has two. ;)
I'll let you in on a little secret, I can actually travel through time, but not more than a day into the future ;). That's why it's 2pm on Monday the 26th here and why my clock says it's 10pm yesterday in NY... either that or I just have a lot of free time, I like to think it's the first :p

@ Loess: Honestly, from what I've seen so far I think your helmet is looking much nicer than mine... I've purposely avoided close up shots because it's not very pretty right now ;)

@ SKG: Normally I couldn't do anything fancy like that either, but it helps to have a bunch of people that now more about this than me on hand to help out with these builds :) Wether I can do something as large as the torso is yet to be seen though.

fightstar said:
... Details in styrene. How are going to make the patterns for this? Did you make reprints of the pepakura models or are you doing this some other way?
I've made some templates using the pep files but I've yet to finish and test them all... once I'm done I'll forward them on to SKG so they can be posted in the ODST thread.

@ Ruze: The V1 chin was a little too detailed for me, I'd much rather my pep pieces be a basic shape that I can detail by hand with styrene and bondo... the folding of the tiny details on HD stuff annoys me too :p Plus the chin had gotten wet and warped a bit.

@ Ryu: Thanks Ryu

@ in need of MC armor: Thanks

@ Helios: If you're brave enough (or crazy enough) to try that you probably deserve Landfall ODST armor ;) :p

@ Zaso: Of course, I couldn't leave everyone thinking that the Recon was as good as it was going to get :p

@ WarHead: The helmet isn't too bad, I was always planning on reworking the chin area so it worked out quite well... there's a little too much detail in the pep pieces for my liking, I prefer low-def stuff so I can add what details I need later

Small update, this is day 5 of the build:

Finished folding the thigh, hip plate, middle chest box and the other side chest box a while ago:
th_IMG_1399.jpg th_IMG_1398.jpg

Just resined the middle and side chest boxes:
th_IMG_1500.jpg

Reshaped and started fiberglassing the torso:
th_IMG_1497.jpg th_IMG_1498.jpg
th_IMG_1499.jpg th_IMG_1501.jpg
I reshaped the neck a little, I kept getting my head stuck so I've modified it... I'll probably end up separating the front and back anyway but this way I wont freak out while trying it on
Also, I'm fiberglassing the outside because getting it to stick to the inside of the shoulder area is a massive pain and since I'm smoothing it with bondo I didn't see any problem with it.

That's it for now, I'll finish the fiberglassing of the torso and maybe some smoothing but the rest will wait until I finish some other projects.

Belakor said:
@ Helios: If you're brave enough (or crazy enough) to try that you probably deserve Landfall ODST armor ;) :p
Who says I'm not?
Anywho, that Armour is looking good. You might want to keep it away from me until it's cast, or what ever you're gonna do with it, as my puddles of drool are liable to melt the fiberglass, and burn the paper, thus condeming you to more peping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back